Are you happy with your 79xx?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by 3dPlayer, Feb 26, 2013.

?

Are you happy with your 79xx?

Poll closed Mar 28, 2013.
  1. Yes!

83 vote(s)
    88.3%
  2. No!

11 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. evilfury

evilfury Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
    I have one side fan, at the back and exhaust on top. All are 120mm fans.

Front fan is useless because hard disk cage is preventing airflow.

So only solution for these case is crank up the volume haha :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, seems like those MSI TF cards are best avoided. Sure they're great performers but seems like they're too hot/loud. Funny, I returned my Gigabyte hd 7950 to the shop last week and was getting a replacement and I had 2 options, the MSI TF and the Sapphire Vapor-X. I asked here and was told not to get the MSI because it runs hot. so I got the Vapor and I love it. overclocks well, runs super quiet and after a few loops of Heaven I sit at 64C. In games even a few C lower. Love this card.

What I'm trying to say guys, next time you're in the market for a shiny £250+ gpu, do come here and ask! personal experience from knowledgeable people will tell you more than any marketing bs. It's quite a lot of money we spend on hardware, let's make it go as far as possible.

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    So very true. Throw in game bundles and the fact the closest competitor (Aka the 670) is generally £50 more just for a reference design, and it goes to show just how hard these cards are to beat.

4. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Always and always (Forever and always.. xD) will we support the people that are in need of a new card and can divulge in our personal knowledge of cards that we have owned.

Nothing can be better than that..

:D So yeah, awesome guys, awesome to share these experiences and things and stuff. :)

5. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    My twin frozr 7950 is silent and the highest temp I've seen is 71c and that's at 1050 core clock.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, what you guys said. I was pestering the AMD section for a few days, while reading reviews and such before I made my decision. Reviews are good for information gathering, they usually help me to narrow things down, but then I'd always rather ask here before pulling the trigger. A lot of really experienced guys here.

7. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Indeed. :D

8. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
  9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hmmm... A single overclocked 7970 can easily draw around 250w on it's own. times 3 that's 750w just for gpu. so you only have 250w to play with, which should be enough. that 3930k is quite a beast though, that's a lot of ram. dunno how many fans, hard drives etc you run but it could be pushing it close. It should be ok though, unless you run a lot of drives etc.

10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah it should be ok man. 1000w is enough. :)

11. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Only 3 drives here, 500GB Samsung 840 Pro, 128GB Corsair Performance Pro and a 120GB Vertex 3. Shouldn't be much power used with them, then it's just my EK DCP 4.0 pump and 8 Gentle Typhoon fans

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, you'll be ok, unless you run insane overclocks and voltages on those gpus :)

13. evilfury

evilfury Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
    Heh than every tf3 is different than another. I tried to manualy confrol fan speed via AB but it always go back to auto when gaming...

after reading that i will RMA my card...

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=166687.0

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  14. Stu @ MSD

Stu @ MSD Guest

GPU:
    3x HD7970 @ 1260/1950
    Please remember that once you over volt for higher core and ram speeds the TPD goes up exponentially. You can easily draw more power from OC crossfire 7970 as you can standard clocked trifire 7970. These cards can and will under certain circumstances draw in excess of 400w each.

Mine running firestrike today in crossfire 2x 7970 for this discussion, set as below.

[​IMG]

Power draw at the wall.
    [​IMG]

That's just running fire-strike and my usual overclocks when I am not pushing for max scores for HWBot.

Running it really hard in Crossfire mode with 1310 cores and 1975 ram with applicable voltages plus processor at 4.8ghz with 1.305v, I have seen a max of:

[​IMG]

Don't forget, your power supplies ability to provide the current can pale into insignificance when compared with its ability to provide the current at correct voltage.

Fire up GPU-Z and run a text doc log while benching hard and watch your 12v rail on the GPU's. If they drop below 12v, the PSU is on its knees and is going to cause you no end of reliability problems.

This is how I came to realise my XFX pro 1250w was struggling, as my 12v rails were dropping to 11.8v flat out and causing spurious crashes, throttling and god knows what else. Since I took her out and fitted a larger supply, 12.01v at all times and better benchmarks with no more "AMD Driver has crashed but recovered" aggro messages.

Another thing to consider - is your PSU distributed properly. Are all cards on their own 30A rails? its VERY common to see cards sharing rails if you haven't considered how best to distribute the power outputs. (Assuming the PSU is multi rail of course)
    Of course this is all just my opinion and I am only trying to help pass on my own experience to you guys. I bench these cards hard and datalog everything which at times, helps me eliminate problems very quickly. these cards set to standard have a great TDP and no doubt the standard clocks were set down there with TDP taken strongly into account as once overclocked, they are power munchers extreme, especially past 1.2v core.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  15. evilfury

evilfury Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
    Could you please tell me what fan speed you get at 70C? Is it sound like vacum cleaner?

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Rofl, vacum cleaner. :D

17. evilfury

evilfury Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
    I contact MSI support and i get these answer for my problem

I was informed by our technical support engineers that this is a recent known generic issue and therefore your Graphic unit will need to be serviced or rework.

Please contact your reseller to ask for RMA number and if your reseller cannot or does not want to help you, please provide me with below information and I will give you a RMA number for direct return to our Component Service Center.

18. Dravonic

Dravonic Member

GPU:
    VisionTek 7970 3GB
    That's a goddamn monster RAM overclock. What are your RAM voltages? I've heard quite a few times that increasing them even a little is a bad idea.

19. Stu @ MSD

Stu @ MSD Guest

GPU:
    3x HD7970 @ 1260/1950
    I never need much on the ram as long as the cards stay sub 50C.
    They are set at 1.70v max for benching, but left at 1.65v for 24/7 gaming at 1650.

20. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    How do i get GPU-Z to record the 12v rail? I can't see the option anywhere

This is from a review on my PSU if it's any help..

Features
    * Heat Transfer Technology™: A unique "L-shaped" heat-sink to remove heat from the PSU
    * Hybrid Transformer™: Unique design that combines heat-sink with transformer
    * Hyper Path™: Places IC close to transformers leading to huge efficiency ratings
    * Flat modularized cables provide easy cable management leads to better airflow
    * Compliance with the latest Intel standard ATX 12V V2.3
    * Operation with intelligent fan speed control
    * High reliability (MTBF>100.000 hours)
    * Double Layer EMI Filter retrains noise and to avoid affect to users
    * Integrating Active PFC with PWM combo controller while increase efficiency
    * Multiple protection design (OVP/UVP/OPP/OTP/SCP/OCP)
    * Japanese-made capacitors
    * Single +12V rail up to 98A
    * 5 year warranty

Technical Specifications

Warranty
    - Five years
    Dimension
    - 150mm(W) x 180mm(H) x 86mm(L)
    Output Capacity
    - 1000W
    Maximum Output Capacity
    - 1200W