Trifire uneven scaling among other Recent Oddites

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MadelineX, Feb 26, 2013.

1. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    My 6990 and 6970 have been running quite well on the the latest betas. I am currently on the 13.2 beta 5 rolled back from 6.

The reason I attempted the roll back is because MSI afterburner shows the scaling to be quite uneven. The 6990 has been running 10-15% higher than the 6970.

I play Guild wars 2 and BF3 mainly. The scaling is a little close in battlefield. I'd say an avg. of 10% difference.

Performance-wise, the games run well. However, I have noticed in both games the 6990 and occasionally all three gpu's hit 100% under certain circumstance. In gw2 it is usually a long draw distance, in bf3 it particles from firing an automatic rifle.

100% is fine but the cards rarely reached that threshold before. Temps are good though...

It's strange though, particularly in GW2, either they made a minor miracle in the game engines use of GPU and sidestepped the CPU bottleneck, or something is wrong with my setup. 100% in GW2 is really quite odd. Especially for extended periods of time just standing and looking out at relatively benign scene. vsync enabled.

I'm wondering if my CAPS are installed correctly, or if something might have occurred to corrupt them. I've clean installed though, rolled back drivers, swapped pci-e slots and crossfire bridges. I even swapped the bios switch. It's as if the 6970 is falling behind and the 6990 is making up for the slack across both gpus.

Overclocked and factory clocks produce the same results.

anyhow, food for thought.

[​IMG]Hello,

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    you worry to much, concern yourself with FPS only thats the goal after all.

3. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    It's true! My mind never stops... Counting sheep is an epic fail.

4. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Just a quick update. Though scaling still isn't perfect I have discovered it is the MSI Afterburner overlay that throttles all three cards. 20-25% each. I tested by running both Radeon Pro and MSI overlays and toggling between.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    How could an overlay throttle a Gpu....? A fps cap or vsync enabled can prevent GPU reaching 100% load, also possible you have CPU bottleneck....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Oh Pill, you devil! I find you all over my sleep depriving favorite forums.

Yes, GW2 would most certainly be bottle-necked by my cpu and strangely I do not deviate from the 60fps vsync commands (that's over or under, it just changes gpu usage, temps, fan speeds.) when it throttles, however, I have discerned that the MSI overlay is the villain, but a most accidental one.

You see, as I do not sleep, I have plenty of time during the wee hours to mess with things until they break.

This time, I believe it was a combination of MSI's overlay and Sweetfx, perhaps the High settings in HDR, SMAA, and luma sharpening that my eyeballs require all searching tirelessly in the crazy realm that is post processing for the edges and colors and whatever those mad scientists can dream up.

I assume, since I'm unable to use Sweetfx via Radeon pro in GW2 (strange, works quite marvelously for all else) for some reason, I am forced to allow multiple script hooks fishing in the same small pond... that's three hooks and 1 pond if you're counting. Quite messy. This conundrum causes all sorts of redundancy (of course, I'm hypothesizing. Actually, is there a nice sounding term for an uneducated guess?) Radeon pro can neatly handle the bulk of the task, but with post processing effects and the post overlays interacting via msi and sweet... well. I think that caused the throttle. Kind of neat though really. I disabled the overlay and the compatability profile in MSI that allow altered runtime libraries to be used with the OSD.

This topic should really be in some vague general section, but I began they day thinking it was the beta drivers. And anyhow, it has a little to do with Mr JAPAMDS fantastic project.

Rather refreshing when it is not a driver thing though... isn't it?

Anyhow, 10 minutes killed.

Night Pill!:bed::bed::bed:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013