Need a DX11 card, please help me pick

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by coxroach1, Feb 22, 2013.

1. coxroach1

coxroach1 Member

GPU:
    MSI HD7950 oc'd
    just to add to this challenge - I am not one for patience with online purchasing, I hate having ordered it and having to wait.

Luckily I live very close to Novatech so in this instance, rightly or wrongly, it has to be available from Portsmouth branch of Novatech

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm guessing this is out, then? =p

http://www.ebuyer.com/454252-sapphi...-19-20g?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

I'm using the same card, par mine is a Flex (so multi-monitors don't require display port adapters). I'm clocking 1130/1700 at 1.25. This is a fairly common OC, and I'm confident I could go higher if I wanted too. I've seen people push this card to 1200/1700 more than once. Free delivery, for your budget it's what I'd get. Plus, free games!

As for Novatech, I think eclap bought his card from there recently. I'm not sure what offers they have, but I could take a look if you want?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. coxroach1

coxroach1 Member

GPU:
    MSI HD7950 oc'd
    Does BOOST offer anything that a good OC cant?

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Not at all. It's just a common feature with newer cards. The card listed has a much better cooler than the one you're looking at, however. Quieter, cooler.

5. coxroach1

coxroach1 Member

GPU:
    MSI HD7950 oc'd
    the msi also comes with download voucher for both Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    So does the Sapphire. It's a game bundle for all current AMD cards. That's what the "Never Settle Reloaded download coupon" is.

7. coxroach1

coxroach1 Member

GPU:
    MSI HD7950 oc'd
    Thank you for hunting down a good deal but I would love to go get it tomorrow.

Do you think the 7950 is worth the extra cash over the 7870? I know little about ATI so would appreciate the advice

8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Another very good and thorough post there Darkest. :D You're right, I am enjoying solid performance, this e8400@4.0 still does a good job.

If you're running that quad @ 4.0, then it'll be ok and a good upgrade from gtx 260 sli to 7950 (esp since you need a best bang for buck card right now). I came from a GTX 260 core 216 btw and the performance boost has been MAJOR. I'm running every single game maxed with no problems except a few games where there's lots of cpu work.

But of course as time passes, we'll eventually have to get those i5/i7s. This 7950 is getting bottlenecked enough as it is.

Cox, if you're going for the 7950, then best be off getting one with a custom cooler. What shop are you getting the card from, maybe we can take a look?

9. coxroach1

coxroach1 Member

GPU:
    MSI HD7950 oc'd
    Thanks for helping out Deathchild.

I am going to novatech.com tomorrow as a live very close so it needs to be in stock at the portsmouth store

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I would say it is, you don't have to take my opinion as your only guide however. Wait for others if you're unsure. However, I can just about gaurantee you'll hit 'at least' 1100/1500 when you start overclocking. As I mentioned earlier, that's beyond 7970/680 stock speeds for quite a lot less. With the 7850/7870 you're looking at 10-15% beyond 580 speeds? Which is still fantastic, but not quite as long lasting for the difference in price.

Edit: If you're going to Novatech it's worth the extra tenner to get the Gigabyte Windforce X3.

11. coxroach1

coxroach1 Member

GPU:
    MSI HD7950 oc'd
    Thanks once again Darkest. I am loving your advice, as well as that of others, becuase there seems to be a love of good hardware rather than a 'fanboy' love of brand. Believe me that is hard to find on tech forums

12. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, 7950 will be best choice in this case.

And yeah.. all of us here, I myself personally.. tend to always try and get the most of a product/money.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    [​IMG]

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I think that picture will blow Cox's mind Pill. :D

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yes, I got mine from novatech in reading yesterday. it was this model http://m.novatech.co.uk/products/co...hicscards/amdhd7950series/gv-r795wf3-3gd.html

I would strongly suggest you go for this gigabyte over that msi. it's great. better cooling, good overclocking. also comes with crysis 3, bioshock: infinite, far cry 3, hitman: absolution and sleeping dogs. I had to ring novatech and ask for the gigabyte one, they didn't have it in stock but ordered it in for me for next day.

a hd7950 will destroy gtx 260 sli btw.

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Not a problem. I know how difficult it can be deciding on new hardware, especially when you're considering a new company over something you've used for a long while. The beauty of Novatech being local, is that it's one of those companies I mentioned earlier with good return policies. If for whatever reason you're not satisfied with an AMD card you can absolutely take it back within a two week period and they'll swap it for a 660TI. You cannot possibly lose by giving AMD a chance.

17. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Pshh. I raise that Vapor X with a HIS X2.

[​IMG]

Good to see you posting again btw, not seen you for awhile. Hope everything is alright?

For a reference point for the OP: A 660ti overclocked will generally max out to be just below a 670 in the charts posted. A 7950 will usually at least match a 680/7970.

18. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, it's good to see Pill posting again.

AND WTF!!! WAHT KINDA 7950 IS THAT MAN, I WANT THAT LOL.. :D WTF MAN 82.9 FPS HIS ICEQ X2 ?! w00000T

:D maaaannnnnn

Yeah and beat those 680s 7970s whatever as seen in the picture. (Damn beast of a card that is..)

19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That's OC'd to 1210/1500 if I remember right. So a good few of us are hitting around those numbers already. The HIS X2 is consistant with it though, from what I've read on various forums. Fantastic card.

20. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Wow... I gotta read up about it right now.