PantherX, quick Q?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Psychlone, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Hey PantherX.

So after going in depth about my current folding experiment and how I'm going to constantly be adding more and more clients (effectively a farm, but not that I personally own), I'm curious...

You pointed another local folder in the direction of a database that shows the top producing GPUs by model, with a filter feature to refine it's results by Chipset, Project and even PPD.
    (here: http://compdewddevelopment.com/proj...=&ppdFrom=&ppdTo=&showOnlyActiveProjects=true)

My question is this: Why is it that all that data is maintained in an easy-to-read interface, and I can't see all of my own clients that reside on different networks?
    Is it because individual people have contributed their stats to the database, or is the database polling a resource that contains all that information?
    After all, there's clearly servers that hold the information that I'm looking for - simply what client is doing what, even though they're on different IP addresses.

How does Guru3D (and all the other folding groups) manage the data that is reflected in the EOC stats? I mean, when I look up the Guru3D group stats, I can see the top producers, how many PPD average each of them has, as well as the trends - it's like what we see for our own stats but with more info.

What I'm looking for is an interface or just a way to access what every client has done in my name - I'm not looking for any control of them remotely, only to view what they're doing. And it doesn't even have to be in real-time.

For instance, I have 45 or 46 total clients with 25 of them online at any given moment. As you know from our previous discussion, they're ALL on different LANs, of which I own only 2 of them.
    If I spotted one of my customer's PPD drop way down or even fall to zero, I could easily make a housecall and physically check to see what the problem is, but without a way to see what client is doing what - or what client has done what, there's no way for me to know if some are failing, if some simply aren't meeting the deadlines, or whatever.

I know you're familiar with what I need - we've gone over this. Unfortunately, none of the things you suggested to do has worked in the way of actually seeing what any of my own remote clients are doing.

Surely there's a way that Stanford could make a standard web page with blocks that could be filled in with a user's info such as what each client is up to... it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult considering that everything I'm asking for is logged both locally on each of the computers in question, but also on the Stanford servers as well - isn't the local logs how Stanford gets their log info and verifies sends/receives/client info/time taken/etc. anyway?

I thought I'd give you a question here since it potentially could benefit others as well out here in the open forums.
    If there's just no way to do this, there should be. It seems like it should almost be easy to be able to access what every client in my name is doing, we just lack an interface to do so -ALL of my clients are pushing their log info to the same place, just a simple webpage that shows what each client does would be AWESOME!

Can I make that an official suggestion? ;)

Alternately, I can see that by creating my own folding group, that I would be easily able to see what all of my clients are doing from the official Folding Team Stats page here: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?teamnum=69411&qtype=teampage
    I wouldn't be able to see what their individual PPD are, or their averages from this page, but on the EOC stats I could...

I'd rather not take my numbers (which will only get bigger) away from my home at Guru3D, but if there's really absolutely no other way to reconcile what each of my clients is doing other than to make my own group, then that's what I'll probably have to do... (which makes me sad - there's GOT to be a way, no?)

Take care, and thanks for all you do for all of us committed Folders!
    Psychlone

2. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    The site that I mentioned to our teammate is not at all affiliated with Stanford. It was a 3rd Party development and the stats are obtained by us users submitting data in this thread on the official folding forum.

The way that EOC manages the data is that they are using the flat files directly from Stanford. Here are the details about it. I do know that they hold more information so maybe you can look into it but I doubt that it would be of much help.

Humm... One of the donors have setup something like this (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/124449474/Folding/summary.html) which I assumed that you would want. You might have to make one for each system or not, am not sure. If you can figure that out, that's fine. If not, then I could ask the donor how the setup was done and then relay the information back to you :)

Stanford doesn't store any of the "personal" data including the logs. When a WU is requested, some basic details are sent and based on that, you will be assigned a WU. This process is repeated every time a WU is requested. The only information that is stored is the Username/Passkey/Teamnumber along with some other details which allows the point system to work and science to progress. Any data that can be accessed by the public is made available in the flat files (used by 3rd party Stats) and in the web interface which you can use to get additional information about your contribution.

I did make that suggestion but it was turned down as it wasn't feasible. Moreover, the Web Control is designed for security for the local client only, not remote access since this is the Newbie interface and security is paramount. The FAHControl interface is designed for experts so it can be configured to by-pass routers and provides extra security measures too.

Since you are using the same username/passkey/teamnumber (I assume), making a new team will not help since there isn't any segregation of the WUs as they are all assigned to the same username/passkey/teamnumber. However, you can use this to your advantage and ours. Start numbering the clients like Psychlone1, Psychlone2... and you can have a list of which computer is assigned to which username. That way, you can get more precise information yet, you are still using the same passkey and team number. I do know some folder who are using this method and they are happy with it.

Feel free to ask for any more clarifications :)

PS -> If this is what is considered your "quick Q", I wonder what your "long Q" would look like ;)

3. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    :grin: I can get REALLY long winded, Brother. Have you seen my AMD Overclocking Guide in the AMD section? I wrote that entire thing in one breath somehow! ;)

Anyway, that's some really good information there. I'm definitely interested in seeing how the one donor created those spreadsheets that he's sharing in that dropbox link - that's very close to what I'm looking to do - AND you can even drill down and see more info for each item in the list... that's COOL.

And, if I can't get that working (worst-case scenario), then you've given me a really good idea on renaming each of the clients (not sure how I could do that retroactively without digging out each of 43 different customer's data and scheduling a housecall with each of them, but that's my problem to figure out).
    I didn't even think of simply naming clients with different names (i.e. Psychlone1, Psychlone2, etc.) I wasn't aware that you could use more than 1 username with the same passkey.

So, failing figuring out what the one donor has left in his dropbox link, the last resort will be to just rename all my clients (at least from here FORWARD).

THANK YOU for all the info! That's VERY helpful.

Please find out if you can get more info from that donor - I'm interested in using something similar if I can figure out how he's doing that.

Take care,
    Psychlone

4. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    *Skim reads AMD Guide... looks at my Intel CPU* Uhh... I might in the future if I get an AMD CPU ;) However, is there a reason that IntelBurnTest or LinX is missing from the OC tools?

You can use the same passkey with multiple usernames but each combination of username/passkey must then again qualify for the bonus points.

I asked the donor and below is the required information to setup the site:
    1) The article to setup the guide is here.
    2) The DYNDNS part of the guide isn't necessary.
    3) Since Dropbox decided to end the public folder, you can use this link (https://www.dropbox.com/enable_public_folder) to sort it out.

Best of luck for monitoring the systems and hope it goes without any issues :)

5. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    LOL, that guide is REALLY comprehensive and still applies to this day's newest architecture - but only for those that want to delve that deeply into true overclocking.
    IBT and LinX weren't really around at the time the original guide was written, and when IBT came out, I personally saw computers pass 10 passes of IBT and then fail a 24 hour run of Prime95.

But that's not really what we're in here for anyway - I posted about my AMD Overclocking Guide to reference you in just how long-winded some of my posts can get! ;)

Thank you, I appreciate your time!
    I'll let you know what I get going. Perhaps this can help others in a similar situation - I can't imagine that mine is the ONLY computer repair business on the planet that gets permission from their customers to run Folding on their own computers... B)

Take care,
    Psychlone