Can't install newer drivers on windows 8 x64.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by martins222, Feb 22, 2013.

1. martins222

martins222 Member

GPU:
    gtx 760 hawk
    Windows 8 x64 won't work when I try to install new drivers, atm I'm using 306.97. The problem is like that - Every time I try to update drivers, after the restart screen is just black. Just a logon screen and then it goes black. I tried with uninstall,driver fusion and even just by upgrading without uninstall.
    And it's for every driver - whqls, betas and quads.
    What might be the problem?

2. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    Extract drivers with winrar (or whatever) and try running setup.exe as admin and check custom install, clean install.

Has worked for me in the past for a different problem but may work for you, no harm in trying.

3. Xphome

Xphome Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 3GB
    Isn't that caused by Windows Update installing a graphics card driver at the same time?

4. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    restore the system to working state. people say to disable internet and install driver. apparently even disabling automatic driver update doesnt work for some reason, so make sure your cable/internet is physically unplugged

5. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    When i tried 8 i had the same issues. You either have to kill the internet or disable "Auto install latest drivers" during win8 installation (which i highly recommend everyone does when installing the os)

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I agree, as long as you actually keep the rest of the system up to date as well.

Since all release drivers have to be WHQL, ideally they should be distributed by Windowsupdate. This would solve a lot of problems for a lot of people (and would ensure people are up to date), but unfortunately apparently hardware vendors are vehemently opposed to that proposition.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
  7. Xphome

Xphome Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 3GB
    You don't need to set it to that during installation, can always change it later if needed. But I agree that you shouldn't let it install updates automatically.

8. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    True but if you don't do it during install it will install the drivers before you're even on the desktop for the first time. Better to do from the start to save time and potential issues (especially true with creative crap).
    Also forgot to mention that its a good idea, when installing any drivers, to right-click and run as administrator instead of just double clicking the exe.