Overclocking issue with Sapphire hd 7770 OC edtion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tom12, Sep 15, 2012.

1. tom12

tom12 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4G Gaming
    Hey i m new here and would really appreciate any help with the problem i m having.

I manually overclocked my gpu to 1200 MHz core clock and 1400 to the memory clock. I have also increased the power control settings to 30% (highest setting is 50%). After all that i ran a few benchmarking tools like Furmark 3D and 3Dmark11 all of which ran steadily and smoothly with increased performance. The highest temp reached in Furmark was 71°C.

Then when i started to play games like crysis 2 or sleeping dogs after a few min the games freeze, the audio at that moment also freezes and then the game crashes to desktop. After that experience i reset all my clocks and the games ran fine... But then i found another prob if i ran any videos, after playing for a few seconds it would also freeze (but the audio kept going) a black screen appeared on my monitor than it goes back to desktop saying ati display driver stopped working (like before).

After figuring out that my display driver may have gotten corrupt i used Driver sweeper and made a clean install of my drivers. Now its working alright but i want to know whether i got a bad GPU that doesnt overclock? I really want to overclock it and play games at a decent fps.

2. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    that sounds odd... the driver shouldnt just 'corrupt' from a gpu OC

you tried the same videos before the OC & that they're still fine after the reinstall?

3. Fefos93

Fefos93 Guest

GPU:
    Msi R7770-PMD1GD5 1gb
    Welcome to the club, mine msi r7770 cant overclock either.:bang:
    Have you tried msi afterburner?
    Or sapphire trixx?

Frow what i read, it seems that there is not enough juice powering up the gpu core.
    Either try trixx or afterburner to see if you can up the vddc.

By increasing the power limit, you just increase the tdp.
    Not the gpu voltage.

Sorry for my bad english.

4. tom12

tom12 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4G Gaming
    @kn00tcn Yes i have tried the same videos.. And also over and over again to make sure it didnt happen again after re-installing the drivers. I dont get it why or what exactly happened...:confused:

@Fefos93 Man that helps alot i thought i was the only one. Hmmm and about the VDDC the option is Msi afterburner is greyed out, Sapphire trixx has power control settings only no option to increase volltage. I also tried EVGA precisionX it has the option to "Adjust Voltage" but if i click on it, it says "Device not supported". :bang:

Oh i forgot to mention:

I also tried overclocking to clocks 1185Mhz core. 1325MHz memory. This was pretty stable but the weird thing is my performance decreased. I got way lower scores on furmark and 3dmark aswell as low fps. Increased power settings to max....... same result. Went back to stock clocks my results were better than the 2nd profile. But luckily no videos crashed or anything and i didnt to have install the drivers again

Now with the stock clocks (1150/1250) everything is working as it should. Games are running as fast as it should with a HD 7770 OC Edition.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

5. Fefos93

Fefos93 Guest

GPU:
    Msi R7770-PMD1GD5 1gb
    Atleast your card is preoverclocked, mine cant even overclock at all.
    I have the stock 1ghz edition and @1040mhz core clock, the games freezes for a while, but after 10-15 seconds it plays normal, just to freeze again for 10-15 seconds.
    I have read many reviews about the specific card, and everyone who onws it cant oc.
    Well the only lucky ones must be the reviewers.
    Although come to think of it i saw the other one msi pe 7770 (power edition) at 1600core clock i think.
    But i cant find the link.

Well if you head over to sapphire trixx's page you'll see that there isnt proper support even for the 7850.

6. tom12

tom12 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4G Gaming
    1600 core clock!!!!!!!!:eek:

So its only the reviewers who are able to overclock this gpu to crazy clocks...
    But still its just sad that we cant even overclock it a bit.

Here one with My version being overclocked close to 1600 MHz on the memory core and 1200 on the core: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/35221-sapphire-radeon-hd-7770-oc/?page=13
    Man WTH do they do??

A couple of mins ago i found sth that can enable VDDC adjustments in MSI afterburner. You have to edit some files of the program to enable "Unofficial Overclocking features" but most people are strictly against it....... -_____-

7. Fefos93

Fefos93 Guest

GPU:
    Msi R7770-PMD1GD5 1gb
    I have tried everything there is just to "unlock" vddc but no luck.
    My reaction was the same like yours.
    I am going to search a bit more, to see if i can find it.

Sorry for the fuss. (For some reason i thought it was core clock and not memory clock)
    It was 1250mhz on the core clock and 1700mhz on the memory.

http://ww3.tbreak.com/forums/topic/65829-msi-hd-7770-power-edition/

Just scroll down a bit and you'll see the gpuz screenshot.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  8. tom12

tom12 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4G Gaming
    Wow dude your version of the hd 7770 is AMAZING! U can add an extra fan!!!
    It also looks amazing! And ya lastly i tried editing the .cfg file in msi afterburner installation directory.. Its still greyed out, I even tried editing the registry files (given on the steps) but ya same result.....

So i guess we are stuck. But atleast i m hearing that the new 12.9 beta has a lot of performance improvements like the 12.7 beta. Heres hoping it does

9. Fefos93

Fefos93 Guest

GPU:
    Msi R7770-PMD1GD5 1gb
    Actually i dont have the same version as the review.
    I have the version with one fan, which is pretty small.
    And doesnt get hot very much.
    It hovers between 48-55c degrees when gaming, and it idles at 30c degrees.

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/MSI_Computer_MSI_R7770_PMD1GD5/R7770PMD1GD5/11696260/

10. tom12

tom12 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4G Gaming
    Wow those are real good temps! I wish mine didnt heat up so much.. Highest reading in game was 64-65c while in furmark 71c.

Still this card is pretty decent... i wanted to crossfire but after i reading about the microstutters i m thinking it would be better not to. Its seemed to be a total waste of time and money!:mad:

As far as i have heard the new amd architecture doesnt have any fix for this prob. But on the otherhand Nvidia's new architecture does. Some of my friends are thinking of SLIing with cards like GTX 650 (just came out).

I would have bought better cards but i my parents wont lend me enough money to buy to cards like hd 7870 or hd 7950. :(

11. Fefos93

Fefos93 Guest

GPU:
    Msi R7770-PMD1GD5 1gb
    Damn parrents if only they gave money more easily.

12. Joker6396

Joker6396 Guest

GPU:
    MSI/Sapphire 7770 1GB
    Saw this thread the other day and thought i would share my progress. With Furmark i was able too Max my OC with no issues, Burn in bench had temps maxing at 60 and good FPS etc. As soon as i tried a game though i would crash. Tried to drop the OC and then i would get the game but would crash loading/starting an actual game. Just today i got just cause 2 which has a benchmark option (and is US$4.99 on steam at the mo). I tried a 5Mhz increase with afterburner( too 1025) and viola. i got a 10FPS avg increase. Tried a 10Mhz increase and Performance dropped. I noticed my MSI card (GPU1) had stopped working. I am at an 8Mhz increase now and still getting a steady increase with both cards running. So for those having trouble try a small increase and don't bother with Furmark. You can still get a fair boost, just doesn't require as much of an increase. Good luck all.

13. Joker6396

Joker6396 Guest

GPU:
    MSI/Sapphire 7770 1GB
    So i found my peak at 1029 Mhz for the core clock. The concrete jungle benchmark on just cause 2 is showing and increase from 24.2 FPS avg to 42.9 FPS avg! haven't touched the memory clock yet and don't intend too. I'm quite pleased myself, allot of the bench was running below 30 FPS before with a few settings dropped now it only drops below 30 once for a second. Point to note i am running Xfire with my cards, but damn, a 75% increase in FPS with a 9 Mhz increase is pretty awesome. not sure why i can't go higher but not too worried i got my free boost!

14. tom12

tom12 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4G Gaming
    well i guess mines already factory OCed... didnt mess around anymore after those crashes. the card is ok for such a price i think.... just gonna hav to stick wid it till i buy another card.... *Sighs*
    thnx for the info @Joker6396

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    HD7770 stock clock are 1000/1125MHz.
    Factory OC editions are usually 1100/1250MHz.

That means, people pay for having those clocks guaranteed. And with full warranty.
    Those of us who mess with HW like crazy should not expect manufacturer to give us new one once we destroy ours.

There is really not much room on already overclocked cards. And on some boards VRMs re not even cooled, which is cause for thermal protection kicking in and reducing power.