Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Most performance based factory turbo cars can support 400 on stock internals 3sgte 2jzgte rb25det rb26dett 4g63 the motor in the 335 BMW now bolt on turbo upgrades I will agree you need to build for more power.

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    How is a turbo impractical?

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That post was pure opinion from me and in the context of a circuit type racing scenario.

4. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    On all this talk of turbo spooling too hard to control when it kicks in on turns...(for throttle control) it depends on the car and the turbo. Ive autocrossed mazda 2's and 3's and last year I got to drive a speed3 and honestly that turbo is so smooth it honestly feels just like my 3 but with more balls...its not brutal..watching the video of me driving it you cant even tell its a turbo car. Mind you rwd will be more sensitive but it would mean understeer for this fwd car which it was completely manageable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad8JpmiZUQM

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    normally rx-7's don't have the lag issue if the turbos are still sequential which is fun too :p but hmmh yeah i kinda like the lag actually when i drove 200sx

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yes but your example is using a smaller turbo (for the record I consider a 18G/TD04 small so anything under that is tiny again opinion) and they spool quick but tend to plateau at higher RPM's.

That coupled with the amount of exhaust gasses put out by those is double what a comparable 1.3l motor out puts because it has (on a 2 rotor) 6 exhaust events per revolution.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yeah rotary engines here aren't even checked for exhaust gasses :D reason was "rotarys ain't your normal engines so it's different"

8. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Don't get me wrong, I love turbos.

And I've never found them hard to control, even the big spiky ones.

I've just found them frustrating in 2 situations :

1) Autocross
    Timeliness matters more than power on small courses.
    I do local groups, not SCCA, so we have smaller lots, and a lot more runs :D (more than 2x)

Honestly, I have more power than I can use already (given my course size, traction is a much bigger issue).
    I'd improve more by shrinking my turbos and losing power and gaining quickness, than I would from any other 'power mod'.
    But I can't complain. I'm just using the wrong tool for the job - which is my fault, not the car's.

2) Oh sh1t gotta go NOW (Daily driving 'emergency' moment)
    Situation comes up, have to nail it, and the car just crawls out... when "I need it gone yesterday"

This isn't that bad normally, but if you have a sequential transmission, it's painful because you can't just dump it straight into 1st/2nd and get those RPMs immediately. So the lag is just multiplied.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  9. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Well... bit the bullet, took a bit of a loss on my Smart ForTwo, and picked myself up a new 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye in Tungsten Metallic with a 6-speed manual and 1.4L turbo. Car so far is a blast to drive... yet i'm still finding myself really wanting to put a cold-air intake on it. haha.

I'll have to get better pictures tomorrow. This is just one that i snapped real quick last night cause my brother wanted to see it.

[​IMG]

10. Sobek

Sobek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280
    I love small cars, no idea why (and it seems odd given I drive huge saloons). My dad's just about to buy a 1992 Daihatsu Mira-J turbo 4cyl, my god is that thing brilliant. Anything tiny with a turbo is just a blast to drive.

I added exterior and interior illuminated door handles to my 7... The video's nothing special but boy you should see it at night - there's no way you'll ever not see the door handles!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnes7V3jS_I

The interior handles are now amber backlit and come on when the parking / headlights are engaged (so only at night basically). They're subtle, but they're sexy.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I really like those, was thinking of getting one myself with the same specs.

12. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Good looking car.

IMO, the latest Dodges and Kias look a lot better than their contemporary predecessors.

-scheherazade

13. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Yea.... the new Dart is DEFINITELY a nice re-entry into the compact market for Dodge. I absolutely LOVE how it looks... kinda agressive.... almost like a micro-muscle car. haha. So far i'm really enjoying it.

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's exactly what Chrysler needed, it blows away every other comparable car imo.

15. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    With around 180 bhp max and around 3.200 lb weight isn't what i'd call ideal... but yeah, it looks awesome.

16. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    I can agree its better looking than the neon the monstrosity that replaced the neon.

17. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Considering that my previous car was a Smart ForTwo with a naturally aspirated 1.0L 3-cylinder generating about 70 bhp @ 5,800RPM's and 68 ft-lbs. of torque at 4,500 RPM's.... and was about 1,800 lbs.... over double the horsepower and nearly triple the torque at lower RPM's is quite good. Don't let the weight fool you... it's a pretty quick car for being powered by a Fiat 500 Abarth's engine.

18. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. get bored drilling holes
    2. get bored welding the holes
    3. get bored grinding the welds
    4. buy 2 new t-shirts to replace the ones I set on fire