HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is a lot of people who combine those together, It's best way to be forced to Windows reinstall.

There is absolutely no need for any kind of uninstallment unless you want downgrade.
    And for that default "AMD Catalyst Install Manager" is fully sufficient. Unless you installed some weirdly modified package which missed thing or two.

2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Since he is having issues, i would disagree.

He needs either a OS reinstall, or a scrubbing and see if it persists...

and i would agree that if he doesnt have crysis, stay away from beta5

3. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx

The Problem about that issue is that there is a difference how the flickering appears. The "typcial" DX9 flickering was more subtile you hardly could notcie it and it lasted only about a split second. Your issue looks different. Does the problem only occur on DX9 or do you see it in Open GL and DX11 games as well ?
    If i wouldn't have been affected by the DX9 issue by my own (in the past) and see the issues by my own i would say that you got a defective card. It looks really bad, it never looked as bad for me.
    I once saw a simelar thing on NV when my drivers were ****ed up and the only thing helped was reinstalling the OS.
    You may try to disable your igpu and try it again, otherwise you should try to get another card to test or test your card in a different system and see what happens. But trust me you don't wanna spend your time with figureing out what's the damn problem. It's much better to just send the thing back and see what happens with the new one.
    It's so annoying to spend your days with things like that, i know that feel. Spending day after day without finding a solution and in the end you just wanna sell the whole crap and get a Mac instead (lol).
    If i was you i wouldn't go through this hell again and just send the thing back and decide if you want to give the card another try (with a different one) or just switch to NV.

Just keep in mind, it's not an AMD-thing. This happens on NV as well. You don't wanna hear my story about my old 460 and it's crashs in any DX11 game trust me. Sometimes it's just bad luck and yeah that sucks..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Remmys

The flickering in your videos do not look like the generic flickering which people including myself were/are having.
    The corruptions will primarily show as a smatter of polys varying from black to white (12.11 beta 11 may show colored polys in Skyrim) which do not seem to be part of anything.
    These corruptions I am seeing in your videos are attached to objects besides Crysis which appears to be objects popping and out.

I have a doubt that your situation boils down to the drivers specifically.
    Possibly driver remnants, DX9 file issue within the OS.

If you have a spare drive, chuck that into your PC, install win 7 on it, update DX9 etc etc...install the AMD drivers, and install your games.
    I think it should show the problem will have gone.

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ^-This

or you have a bad overclock you arent admitting to.

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Those flickers in those last links look a LOT like what a 7900 videocard does when you had a VPU recover on the card and tried to run a game without restarting the computer. DX11 games may still work, while DX9 games are usually flashing triangle city until a reboot or the computer is put to sleep (both reset the card correctly).

Sounds like bad hardware, bad driver installation, or trying to run games after a vpu/driver recovery.

7. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ^-also this. My card does that everytime there is a thermal reset.

8. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    Also a quick PSA. Don't use the AMD official uninstaller if you have Windows 8. It corrupts your user profile.

Or

Don't use Windows 8 if you like the AMD official uninstaller.

9. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    lol..

they changed they wording, it only supports windows 7 now...

10. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    That's not 1%.

Incidentally, Remmy's card might be problematic... Yeah, that flickering does not look as what I was seeing on my dx9 games. Either way, since the flickering stopped for most of us, I'd say better send the card back...

I don't say I'm pretty sure the flickering has been completely resolved; they might have applied a tweak to hide it or something. I'd really like to see a video with the more familiar flickering, but yet I haven't seen any. Your problem occurs too much, almost continiously... That wasn't usually the case with the known DX9 Flickering.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013

11. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I played through Dead Space 3 and had zero flickering. Now 2 hours of Skyrim (yawn!) and there is nothing there either. 13.2b5

12. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    It does. Each DX 9.0c game affected with this contained 3 types of flickering. "Black", "White" and "Transparent". Each of it was located to certain game location and the flickering was looking quite specific.

13. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    it was just an illustration, no need for pedantry.
    i agree, he should RMA.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  14. zarker99

zarker99 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire hd 7870 Ghz
    My flickers have died at last :)

BUT new problem (new since the first 12.11 drivers).
    In Train SImulator 2013 (aka Railworks1, 2, 3, 4 or whatever it is...), Framerates are great until going over tracks elevated above surrounding terrain (eg: a viaduct, or high banked track), then framerates plummetr from around (eg: 30) to 10 (15 when force tripple buffers activated), then go back up when across the other side.

I have mentioned this before, and also logged it to the 12.11 beta feedback screen, but thought I'd raise it again just to try and keep it alive.

Not a real complaint as I'm hoping the drivers with the memory fix will solve it, if not then I'll log another ticket.

15. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Reporting the issue is important as numbers will primarily raise the awareness with AMD developers.

I'm still sticking to 12.11 beta 11 with CAP 2 for now.

Only because Skyrim gets CTD with the last 13.2 betas I used even though flickers appear to have completely gone with those beta drivers.

Ironically I am now not playing Skyrim as much as I used to.

16. Remmys

Remmys Guest

GPU:
    7870 Myst
    Hi,

thanks for all the replies. And apologizes for any harsh words uttered to anyone in frustration as this has been an extremely painful process.

I have decided to RMA the card and see what comes back. This has become too agonizing for something I don't extensively use. I was getting on fine with the integrated graphics for several months prior to this.

I have tried almost all the suggestions to see no improvement.

Last question - Is it possible to have a purely hardware fault which will only affect dx9 software but not other software? I only tested a handfull of games but it was conclusive dx9 versions have serious issues. Far Cry 3 is perfect in DX11 but when I switched it to dx9 in the options, the flickers/corruption started. I only had to switch it back and all was fine again. Didn't even need to restart the game.

I don't want the test/repair centre to ship it back to me claiming it is completely a software issue.

Thanks

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Unless you reinstall System you can't be sure it's hardware fault because of very high level of messing you did.
    Some of those tools even delete default system libraries marked as AMD/ATi even when they are not part of drive packages which AMD distributes.

Now, you spend days messing around, while clean reinstall takes 15-20minutes, drivers up to 20 minutes and software you used, you probably have installation files too.

Just be sure you have all drivers which you will install before you start, since OS may not have compatible driver for your NIC.
    After you make clean OS install, use 13.2beta 3/4. Do not use 5 since a lot of people had bad experience.

18. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    I believe that you are facing SW issue, but it somehow differs from the ones we mostly seen. I was lucky to have more than one graphics to test things. I RMAd my first card too, until i fully realized that its not a hardware issue.

I was able to reproduce "black" flickering on Civilization 4 since Catalyst 12.1 till Catalyst 12.11 Beta and 13.1 WHQL. But since 13.2 Beta 3 this issue was fixed.

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Anyone who uses Afterburner might want to try what is suggested in this thread. Fan profiles are useful.

(forums overclockers co uk) /showthread.php?t=18431335

Won't let me direct link the webpage...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  20. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Interesting. Looks like you don't need the .dll's anymore for /xcl :)