HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Remmys

Remmys Guest

GPU:
    7870 Myst
    Hi,

I registered just to post my frustration with AMD's crap drivers. It's been driving people nuts and wasting a lot of time but AMD don't seem able to solve it after so long. It seems worse for certain combination of hardware. The AMD rep said they had problems reproducing the issue but that's crap too. All they have to do is build a system identical to those who complain about this problem & I'm sure they will easily reproduce it then. With the resources they have, I really suspect whether they are making a genuine effort to solve this. I'm sure many others are suffering from it to a certain degree but just not reporting it.

If only I can get money back for this piece of junk. I've supported AMD for many years but this will be the last time. I can understand if drivers are flaky sometimes but it's like they outsourced the job to a high school kid after the team of AMD programmers got lost in the mountains.

2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    If you know anything about bug testing, you would know its not that easy.

There are MANY other variables.

Software, Software versions, hardware firmware, user error, improper instalations, the list goes on...

3. Remmys

Remmys Guest

GPU:
    7870 Myst
    But I & many others certainly know a defective product when we see one.

Try living with constant major artifacting & even desktop corruption as some users have experienced and see if anyone can still say the same.

Yes, we should appreciate their attempts at fixing things, how about giving them another year to get it right. Better still, have their partners offer buyers a full refund and we move on from there permanently.

4. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    I'm pretty convinced that Remmys and Huma are just Nichtswisser trolling us.

They both created accounts just to come and poo poo on AMD, about an issue that is repaired. Seems legit.

5. HuMa

HuMa Member

GPU:
    7950 WF3 @ 1150/1500
    lol? im not trolling i just asking if the latest beta fix the artifcats cause i cant test it cause my PSU is on RMA...

6. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    Fair enough.

7. Remmys

Remmys Guest

GPU:
    7870 Myst
    And I'm absolutely convinced it's idiotic fanboys like you misleading the public why things DON'T get fixed.

Did you run 20 diffrent hardware configurations to verify your claims. Are you blind or stupid? Look at the number of posts popping up in the web about the continued disaster, crashes, fixing one thing to break another, reverting to old drivers and all kinds of ridiculous problems. And all this are also posted by whoever you have this grudge match with?

Read what people are going through,

http://www.overclock.net/t/1353972/replaced-gigabyte-7870-3x-still-getting-artifacts

I thought I was just unlucky but was absolutely disgusted

Tell you what, get amd to issue a statement things are fixed as you claim, and see if they dare back you up.

8. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    I don't have to get AMD to issue a statement, I am too busy playing Skyrim, without any flickers.

Show us a video of your flickers. I bet they aren't even the Dx9 flickers. It's probably something more related to the game engine, not the drivers.

The Dx9 flickers were very specific, and very easy to reproduce. They are simply gone now with the 13.2. I don't need proof. They were there before, now they aren't. The thread you posted references 13.1, which comes before 13.2 in the numerical system. In fact, the OP says "I do have the issue solved for now (I haven't had it happen with my Gigabyte 7950 and 13.2 Beta5 CCC yet).

A defective driver is not the same thing as a defective product. This issue was defective software.
    As far as I am concerned, AMDs contract is fulfilled.

Also, just using the term fanboy makes you sound like an idiot. It's no wonder you can't fix your issue. As far as me being a fanboy, this is my first AMD in about 15 years, and now that the flickering is fixed, I am pretty happy with it.

Don't come in here insulting AMD, not looking for help, just wanting to complain, piss, and moan.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  9. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    On another note: I don't think Remmy is Nichtswisser anymore. He has a different trolling style.

10. Remmys

Remmys Guest

GPU:
    7870 Myst
    So at the end of it you can only claim it works for you or your assrim or what crap.

Then don't compound your idiocy by making claims which even amd is not saying. Unless you speak for every owner of an amd card learn to keep your stupid mouth shut instead of misleading others that all is well.

11. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    Prove it. Lets see a video of your game flickering.

Let us determine if it is the same flickering issue.
    Take out your cell phone, record the flickering, post on youtube.

I have seen my share of Dx9 flickering for the past 6 months, I should be able to recognize it instantly.

If you can show me an example of where 13.2 beta 5 exhibits the same Dx9 flickers, than me, and my assrim, will consider believing you.

Hell, I'll even try to reproduce it, using the exact same testing steps and setup that you have.

If you don't provide proof, or if the video you post doesn't exhibit the same symptoms as the Dx9 flickering. You are legally obligated to give yourself a swirly.

You didn't even tell us what game is giving you issues, or your configuration. You just came in here and said "My video card no work."

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  12. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx

More like read what one guy is going through.
    Also this guy should use 13.2 instead of 13.1/12.11 The artifacts got fixed with the OFFICIAL 13.2 Beta.
    Maybe there is still a small amount of people who are affected by the DX9 Flickering issue. I don't want to question that because i know how much it sucks when you test your whole hardware and know for sure it must be an driver issue.

But still, if you're not a troll get some videos of your issue, otherwise we'll never know if it is the DX9 flickering issue or smth else. And you should wanna know that as well, it may help you to figure out how to fix your issues.

13. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Sure there has been a lot of dicking around since AMD have started using GCN architecture and drivers have indeed been flaky.

I am not certain what is going on with the AMD driver devs and why this is taking a very long time to isolate and make the drivers stable.
    I can only imagine it is due to having a smaller staff than nVidia in the graphics department.

My HD7870 has gone from very few flickers 12.11 beta 11 with CAP 2, to no flickers 13.2beta 3 but with random CTD in Skyrim.
    Skyrim is the only game which has problems with the beta drivers.
    All other games run fine.

It's almost as if where the flickering is supposed to happen is now replaced with CTD when the flickering is supposed to significant enough.

14. Remmys

Remmys Guest

GPU:
    7870 Myst
    Thank you & I appreciate it. At least you know how to reply to someone without starting out accusing them of lying or trolling.

I know for certain it's not other hardware issue as I was running it with integrated graphics for several months without problems before installing this 7870 Myst. Sniper M3 board, gskills ram and seasonic x-560. I seldom game and usually upgrade only once in several years.

Furmark, Kombustor, memtest, whatever test passed with flying colors.

Tried drivers from 12.6 to beta5. Main difference was the earlier ones blue-screened occasionally. Tried every setting from maxed out to all off with no visible difference.

FarCry 3 runs flawless under directx 11, when I switch to directx 9 mode, this is what i get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZnzfUFHdRU

3D Mark 06, a pure directx 9 benchmark. This is how it appears now. I ran it under a fresh install XP in a separate partition in my system and it ran flawless without black flashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZy0rzINEwE

Dead space 3 (his face) ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxEVMTepvCg

& dishonored. (it's madness in the later, sky section)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i3bp2p_jDs

I don't happen to have skyrim installed. I don't make it the centre of my universe.

Flickering is Flickering. It doesn't matter whether it occurs on the ass or the tits of your avatar. Or triangles or spirals. Or whatever colors.

Should AMD claim that directx flickering issues have been fixed?
    Can AMD also quantify what they mean by resolved in their changelog ? Most games, some games or just a handful people pay attention to.

I bought a card with expectations of it being functional, obviously this means to include a decent set of drivers as a package. What kind of quality product needs constant fixing for almost a year since it's introduction.

15. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    OK...

Catalyst 13.2 Beta 3 and later fixed most of issues I have seen. But I have to mention that it was "black" flickering in DX9 games. In this case it matter a lot what kind of flickering you see.

This means that the issue I was able to see looks a bit different as those you posted.

Furmark, Kombustor passed without any issue for me even with previous drivers. If you see any corruption with those tests, it may be your GPU.

a) Certain games may experience flickering with Crossfire configurations. even with new drivers
    b) 13.2 Betas have embedded Catalyst Profiles. Before you use them uninstall previous profiles.
    c) 7870XT is the youngest member of GCN family... I would expect some trouble with it, at least now.

Trust me when I say that Catalyst 13.2 Beta 3 fixed all flickering I have previously seen in DX9 games.

16. Remmys

Remmys Guest

GPU:
    7870 Myst
    Does it really matter what specific kind of flickering is observed. Will the kind of flickering I posted be preferably to any other kind. How does that qualify as having fixed the flickering problem in dx9?

Lets get one thing clear. Amd has been trying to fix things since day 1, rather than enhancing things. Be objective about this. Amd has been shoveling so much crap that anything that doesn't crash outright or runs passably well is regarded as a godsend. Isn't it ridiculous that I should be allowed to complete skyrim flawlessly on my 5750 while others still struggle with it today on their brand new cards.

17. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    You still have yet to state what driver version you are using. Until you do so, we cant help you.

Lets put this in perspective:

If AMD sells 10,000 cards, and 100 people have problems, thats a 1% failure rate.

Well within spec of most companies.

I guarantee you wont find 100 people with issues, and they've sold way more than 10,000 cards...

Its that whole vocal minority thing...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  18. Remmys

Remmys Guest

GPU:
    7870 Myst
    What I posted is beta5, the latest downloadable from their site. Right at the end of the list. I think dated 5 feb. A few versions earlier I could run farcry under dx9 without issues (Edit. I think, can't confirm or I got confused after trying so many things). The latest certainly dont work. Other games I tried equally abysmal across all versions from 12.6 to beta5.

All drivers are installed after CCc uninstall, amd uninstall utility, driver fusion, & ccleaner to clean the registry was run in that order.

It's still a paying minority isn't it. Then provide an option for full refund and we all can go our ways.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  19. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Have you tried a good scrubbing?

either the AMD Uninstall Utility (not CIM) or ATIman?

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Once upon the time I installed driver as usual and as usually I measured performance improvement. It was same as before tho AMD pronounced small bump across all HD7xxx cards.

Month later another driver and again no bump in performance. In the end I found out that CCC got installed properly.
    But because I messed too much with different drivers going back and forward testing things Display Driver was stuck at older version.

I would personally look at problem at my side every time others can't reproduce issue I have.

Yours videos look pretty terrible. And for myself and my 160games on steam I can be honest by saying: "AMD finally putting things together as they should be."

I can still make skyrim flicker at spot which I considered as engine flicker even before Drivers got partial or full fix.
    But all other flickering I knew on all those games I own is gone.

I Use 13.2beta3 since 4 has fixes only for Crisis3 and 5 has problems of it's own. It's beta anyway.

Driver Packaging Version 12.10.17-130128a-152570E-ATI
    Catalyst Version 13.2
    Provider Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1295
    Direct3D Version 9.14.10.0960
    OpenGL Version 6.14.10.12171
    Catalyst Control Center Version 2013.0129.7.94
    AMD Audio Driver Version 7.12.0.7712