Aliens Colonial Marines [PAX]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by klambre, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
  2. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    I had a pre-order up until last week - talk about dodging a bullet.

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Just received my copy through the mail. Will be checking it out as soon as possible. I'll reserve judgement until then. Honestly, the majority of people claiming the game sucks don't seem to own it. As for reviewers, it isn't the first time they've trashed a game I thought was good. Not to say I will think that, but I'm well used to the internet hysteria of gamers.

Edit: Hah. Nice speedy 15.2MB/S through steam. I'll be playing sooner than I thought.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  4. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    So would you guys suggest I cancel my ACM Collectors Edition then? :D

5. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Better :p

7. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Oh very well done. :D

8. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 X Trio
    Seeing the negative reviews coming in from the web and you guys alike is really painful to see. I've been waiting for this game for so long and like many have been waiting earnestly for another good Aliens grame. I thought AVP 2010 was pretty good, not great by any means but fun, along with the previous two from many years back (both excellent IMO).

I'll probably still buy the game when the price falls a bit considering I'm a huge Aliens/Predator fanboy and will consider it something of a collector's item, but this is a real let down.

Seriously, how can you screw up an Aliens game so royally?

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Actually you can play MP with a Pirated version but im not permitted to say how.:)

Couldnt agree more.

This.
    I too got burned by AVP, I thought it was crap tbh.
    However i did have high hopes for this with Gearbox behind it.
    Just like you im glad i never bought it and by the sounds of it its not even worth the time pirating.

Ah well its seem most devs nowadays cannot make a decent Aliens game.

Last decent one was Old PC games and Jaguar, The rest have been TOSH.

The Alien Franchise is cursed!

I think i will still be taking a look for myself though.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    What do they mean that the claustrophobic level design is a bad thing, that sounds like quite a good thing to me.

11. colorblindnejc

colorblindnejc Guest

GPU:
    HD5770
    DNF all over again based on the reviews :eek:

Im beginning to wonder this is why we dont see any more PC demos, its because nobody would buy it... Cant really blame somebody who pirated this before buying to see if its any good :\

edit: Just sad as Alines universe deserves so much more :(

12. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Concerning all the hub bub surrounding TimeGate and just how much they developed on the game...

source: DSOG

13. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Put it on Pre order at Amazon late, missed the release date evidently as it said feb 14th...But it turned out for the best, saw some reviews on the other side of the pond and they looked deplorable. Quickly canceled pre order and it went through. Shame, I was looking forward to this. Wanted it to be the terror that D3 should have been.. Aliens franchise deserves better than this mess.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Then to what extent was the game outsourced? From what I've seen this doesn't appear to be Gearbox's work. Having played and loved Borderlands 1, 1.5 and Opposing Force this just doesn't fit with them. This is either sheer neglect by assigning a B-team with minimal supervision or it was outsourced to a relatively inexperienced studio as suggested.

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It's just as bad.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You just ... ate your words :-O

What did it taste like? :p :banana:

17. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Played the intro so far. There's a decided lack of visual settings, the game doesn't look fantastic. That said, I've seen worse. Gameplay is fairly standard for a modern FPS. Sprint buttons, aiming down the sights. It does have a feel of the movies so far however, cramped and claustrophobic settings, something which defines Aliens. I'm not sure why anyone would complain about that. The guns so far have an authentic feel/sound to them.

While the Aliens don't move fast, there's a lot of them -- couple that with them climbing walls and coming out of vents and you've a fairly accurate depiction of how the second film was. The cheese is firmly still in place, the one liners are thrown out at a fairly regular pace. I'd also like to point out that Keyes is an arsehole, and I'm glad of what happens to him. That one moment came across as ****ty writing, having a personal death wish is fine, but I can't remember the Marines from the movie trying quite so hard to get everyone else killed.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If i ask nicely? :D

hehe, just kiddin m8 i am kinda busy with DS3 (finaly playing co op)

19. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    they need to release a "high resolution" texture pack! wtf where they thinking? this is 2013 and it looks like a 2005 game? i can see the consoles being poor graphics wise, but what happened to the PC..

i have it cranked @ 2048x1152 16xQAA, 8x SSAA, and i only use around 600mb vram? and at 60 fps vsynced my gpu's are only needing 20-30% of each card to hold 60 fps, lol this game would run on a 10 year old PC ffs!

and it took 5 years to develope this... wtf.

20. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Quote from IGN(Verdict: 4.5 Bad):Aliens: Colonial Marines is an uninspired and unfinished game, and not remotely worthy as a sequel to the Aliens film.

I second that.Lost my money with this one.