If you still have a legacy card, try these.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kevsamiga1974, Nov 7, 2012.

1. ADR91FR

ADR91FR Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 512MB
    Hey ! I've just realized I've got a GPU clock bug using your driver !

It's running at 668 Mhz at idle instead of 300Mhz as it should, as reported by GPU-z. The CCC however reports in the overdrive tab that it's running at 300Mhz, but both CCC and GPU-z do report the core temperature to be about 10°C Higher than usual (76°C instead of 66°C).

This isn't triggered by anything specific, it's just like that right from bootup.

It didn't reinstall Windows yet, so it could still be related to some sort of faulty installation problem, though, but I doubt it. Seems more like your driver isn't really appropriate for the 3k series as it is.

Annoying, but interesting though...

2. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    If it's broke in my driver...chances are it's also broke in the later official ones as well on 3K series. Although no one seemed to notice or be bothered looking for 3K bugs before.

Finding these bugs and fixing them are loads of fun...not !

Your probably better off with something older in this case, because I'm not willing to start using even older and crusty components just to squash it away for 3K.

It took me enough time how to figure out how to fix the 4K series busted x-fire clocks for us lot...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. ADR91FR

ADR91FR Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 512MB
    It's alright, I didn't expect you to fix it...

Anyway, I have reinstalled Windows by now, and I made an image of my hard drive using imaging software so that I could easily restore a clean copy of Windows at any time in order to carry out various tests with different drivers, which I did. I won't go into too much detail but as I thought it might be of interest to you, here's what I concluded:

1) First of all, the clock bug was a false alert, at least to some extent. It turns out there was a bug with GPU-z on my system ; no matter what driver I would use it would consistently report the 3D clock to be turned on, so I tried out two other monitoring programs, namely RivaTuner and OpenHardwareMonitor. I'm not sure as to what they are really worth, and the version of RivaTuner I got seemed a bit outdated, but they respectively reported the core clock to be set at 297 and 300 MHz at idle, no matter what driver was installed, so I decided to take that for true.

However, by carrying out my investigations I incidently brought to light there actually is a clock bug with your driver, but that only occurs when the computer gets out of sleep mode, and that's what caused the temperature readings to rise as I had previously reported. Something strange about it however is that although all monitoring programs consistently reported the core temperature to rise, only RivaTuner accordingly reported the core clock to have been toggled to 3D mode, rising to 668 MHz. The Overdrive tab in CCC as well as OpenHardwareMonitor would both report the core frequency to be set at 300 MHz.

This issue didn't occur with any other driver I tested, including your 13.1 Reloaded driver. Maybe you should check it for yourself as this issue could very well not be specific to my system, and could easily have gone unnoticed, especially among users who won't let their computer go into sleep mode.

Also, I noticed the memory frequency would never go down at idle and would always remain set to 828 MHz irrespective the driver I would use. I think I recall this is normal behaviour, however could you please confirm this as I'm not sure anymore ?

2) Unfortunately, even on a clean installation of Windows, the installation problem I mentioned in my first post reproduces itself. This time I noticed it's upon the installation of the HDMI audio driver that the BSOD occurs, and although I still can't tell for sure what it says I recall it carried the words "SYSTEM" and "EXCEPTION" in capital letters. This would only occur once, and at a second attempt, no matter what uninstallation procedure may have been carried out meanwhile, the BSOD wouldn't occur anymore and the HDMI audio driver installation would just be reported to have failed instead. For as far as I know, the only way to get the BSOD once again is to reinstall Windows and to reattempt the installation thereafter.

However, if I install the package without selecting the HDMI driver checkbox in the installation program, then the installation proceeds flawlessly.

I am wondering whether this problem couldn't somehow be related to another issue with the HDMI audio driver people have reported to encounter with your 13.1 Reloaded driver, although the latter installed properly on my system and I am running Windows 7 anyway.

Also I'm wondering whether the problem I mentioned in 1) couldn't somehow be related to the HDMI driver not installing properly.

3) Finally, although I managed to successfully install your 13.1 Reloaded driver, I must also report that it didn't go without trouble. As it turned out, I got a BSOD with this one too, only this time it happened upon the hardware detection phase. This problem is not specific to your driver as I have had precisely the same issue when installing some of the latest official drivers. I noticed it only occurs with the later versions of the installation manager like the one you are using with this release contrarily to the one employed for 11.12 Hybrid.

It seems to be a rather common issue, as I was able to find a workaround on the internet from people having the same problem, including users of much more recent series of graphics cards. The workaround consists in editing the "installmanager.cfg" configuration file by modifying the "WorkaroundInstall" parameter value from "false" to "true". I've got no idea as to what this precisely does, but it makes the problem disappear. If it appears that there aren't any downsides in doing this, then you could consider having the parameter modified by default in the installation package.

Besides that, everything works fine with your 13.1 driver; only I didn't see any checkbox in the installation program allowing to install the application profiles so I'm wondering whether they indeed got installed properly. Could you please tell me whether this is the case ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

4. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Can't quote the msg, as it would be too long lol, so I'll be brief....

1. The 13.1/11.12 are using different 2D/Miniport kernal components, so this one is easily fixed on the sleep mode resume issue on 3K.

2 & 3 noted and implemented.

No need for cap in 11.12 HB r8 new release below, system installed profiles are higher than any cap. Things now on user list like Crysis 3 etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I said R7 was the last :), but issues still obviously persist, so it's time I clean this one up a bit one last time...

11.12 Hybrid r8 - No need to install *any* caps with this release, they are already included in the system files higher than what you can possibly download.

- 3K clock sleep/resume fixes + 3K series CIM install workarounds implemented.

- HDMI BSOD issues corrected+Fixes HDMI audio loss on sleep/resume present in real 12.4/12.6/13.1.

- 3dMARK 2013 BSOD 0x116 Display driver stopped responding in crossfire present in the real official legacy drivers worked around. Not only affecting legacy cards, but drivers go beserk in 13.2 b5 and bomb for normal users as well with 3DMark new and modern cards trawling around the net. Fixed anyway. Now what to do about the scaling.... :)

- Updated/changed components on DX/CFX & Video DXVA/Flash/OpenGL crossfire profiles.

Games tested without issue (4870x2) :

Skyrim (TESV) DX9
    Rage (GL)
    SniperElite V2 DX9
    F1 2012 DX10
    F1 2011 DX9
    Borderlands DX9/10
    BFBC2 DX9/10 (driver fixes poor crossfire scaling of 12.4/12.6/13.1 in DX10 mode)
    Just Cause 2 DX10
    Atom Zombie Smasher (GL)
    The polynomial (GL)
    Cities in Motion (GL)
    World of Goo DX9
    League of Legends DX9
    (need feedback from mkflawless about new DX9 changes inside R8 vs LoL fix in R7 better/same/worse? (game gives 60fps anyway) :))

Windows Vista/7 x64 *only*

http://www.mediafire.com/?9d7d9tky4o15fbo

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013

5. ADR91FR

ADR91FR Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 512MB
    Thank you very much for your quick reaction ! I hadn't expected that much.

I'm going to try out this new release as soon as possible and provide you with feedback. However, I'm not sure I really understand what you mean with "3K series CIM install workarounds implemented". If you are referring to issue number 3, then if you read back my post carefully you'll notice that I stated the problem didn't occur with 11.12 Hybrid, but only in 13.1 Reloaded, and moreover that it isn't specific to the 3K series (I've heard of people having this problem on 4K or even 6K series graphics cards...).

So unless you decided to use a later version of the CIM in this release, there actually isn't any need for a workaround to be implemented in this version, but rather (even especially) in the 13.1 Reloaded driver.

But anyway, as long as it doesn't do any harm, it's not a problem of course.

Thank you very much once more.

6. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Okay, so I've installed the driver (had a weird memory issue when I restarted my computer, I doubt it was the pilot, but whatever, I just had to restart my computer a second time. I just want to mention this in case somebody else encounters the same issue)

I did not install any Profile as mentioned in the instructions.

So i've tested this driver in several situations, and i'm quite surprised of the result.

Both my cards seem to work more equally now (from an average of GPU1. 97% / GPU2. 93% to a GPU1. 95 / GPU2. 94). This doesn't seem like much, but i just try to be as precise as possible. I can feel some slight fps improvements here and there, but it's generally the same.

The only difference is that it actually feels more stable and smoother. It just runs perfectly @100-130fps, 1920 x 1080, Very High on everything, Benchmark Mode. It is very stable and working like a charm.

I also tried to play BF3 again (not DX9 though). The result is the same as my previous tests. Low GPU usage [35% both], and choppy framerates, but i didn't expect anything here.

You've done an amazing job, AGAIN.

Thanks Kev :banana:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    It's in as a "just in case" scenario, maybe also for 2K owners who knows, doesn't seem to do any harm....also implemented now in 13.1R uploaded yesterday.

I also implemented the Unified Video API in 13.1R and changed the release notes at the top with an example of what exactly it does in case anyone wants to use it. (Not included in 11.12HB, because both drivers have a different set of goals)

In the R8, I played around and tested extensively with every driver to give the highest tested scaling for F1_2011 DX9, and F1_2012 DX10, which both are negative crossfire scaling games by default, so it might have a knock on effect on other games because of this, yet they are both different DX9 vs DX10, which helped in the choice of components for both DX9 and DX10 to get the scaling up and out of <50% in both cases.

It's a very snappy driver for legacy now (was just LOL i wasn't sure about because sometimes changing one thing breaks another), working also around the new 3DMark bad driver bsod crash on the cloud gate test (Fixed also in 13.1R) affecting even modern drivers and current cards released today, and relatively recent components avoiding issues on the way like problematic Skyrim bugs (which I got and tested fine) that plagued a lot of drivers from the 12.x range for a time if you didn't know where exactly through the multiple drivers released to "step". :)

Fixing the borked HDMI audio drivers that were present, and putting the clock resume fix in for 3K and updating the system cap profiles and opengl profiles...simple really. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  8. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Not quite...on the contrary there are big problems created with attempting to pull this trick I have found recently in testing while replacing appears to work to fix the missing profiles in principle, so I'm going to correct this issue in the next version of 11.12HB as well as 13.1R...

If only it were that simple...like I say something significantly changed after 12.9 CAP 1 for use on legacy cards, although I don't know exactly what...I'm not AMD.

Namely the issue is the *original* atiapfxx.blb file given with the drivers as standard matches the crossfire profiles internally of the driver you have installed = unmodified atiapfxx.blb performance good+CAP up to 12.9 CAP1 on legacy = Good performance combination.

Any higher replaced atiapfxx.blb replaced from later caps+higher or same caps=no more missing profiles+but performance is really bad and goes backwards from a driver/atiapfxx.blb mismatch in my testing.

Once you start chucking over higher CAPS as a replacement for the original atiapfxx.blb system file into old drivers of yester year, you get no more missing profiles in the list as suggested, but performance then goes down because your system cap is then not matched to the driver level support you have in crossfire, so it's applying profiles that have no support for what it needs to be doing in crossfire at the driver level and opening a can of worms, or something to that effect. And this is what I found out... :)

And profiles don't any longer then stick in all cases on legacy. So your still stuffed all the same. SniperElite V2 crossfire becomes very ugly doing this atiapfxx.blb replacement trick to cite one example and becomes a jerky stuttery mess, almost as though you have no crossfire support optimisations at all. This is what I discovered from my testing anyway, and it took ages to figure out what was really going on from using these replacement tricks...

The common knowledge out there floating around seems to be that you may use *any* CAP with *any* driver *SPAM* all the way back to Catalyst 10.2. Well let me just say this is problematic and asking for all your driver crossfire problems. Just as an example why this doesn't really work as originally believed...there was a fix to the flickering water textures in unigine tropics, I don't know maybe in 12.1 CAP 1. But if you install this cap onto something like say 10.12 or the low 11.x's that doesn't have the driver level support for this fix, instead of fixing the flickering water textures, instead you'll now get black bands rolling up and down the screen instead. Later drivers in the high 11.x range have the necessary driver level support for this fix in the CAP to work so work fine with the cap and correctly fixes the water textures, therefore if you are using a CAP that is ranged significantly higher than the driver version you are using, expect Internet Explorer crashes and many more problems to crop up...

Therefore I stand by my original statement that the highest CAP you can reasonably use without any performance loss/problems or any profiles going missing on legacy cards at least with the last standard official drivers is 12.9 CAP 1. And that includes 13.1 funnily enough which is just really 12.6 in disguise, which in turn is based on a driver from April 2012 !

If someone can figure out a way to use higher caps than 12.9 CAP 1 without profiles like Mass Effect 3, and diablo III going missing in the list, while keeping the original atiapfxx.blb driver file intact without any loss of performance degradation by doing the atiapfxx.blb switcheroo, then I'll be a happy camper because performance in crossfire isn't lost. :)

It turns out my original findings were spot on, and this issue should be made known so that people can avoid it...and although it looks good in theory replacing the file to work around the missing profiles, it turns out this is a performance degradation in the modified drivers in crossfire, with things that were scaling previously are no longer scaling etc, so I will be rectifying all these system cap/application profile cap issues once and for all in the next releases based on this interesting discovery and what the limitations were.

Thanks for your patience everybody while I worked on getting to the bottom of this CAP/Profile mess using legacy.

The drivers should now be performing again like they should be in your apps and games after both of todays releases with maxiumum enforcable profiles asserted for legacy.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  9. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    11.12 Hybrid Release 9

Changes.

- Crossfire performance degradation on legacy cards system CAP/Application CAP issues resolved...

- Please use the included caps available for install, and no others on legacy cards when using this driver for best scaling and performance.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6v1vjz74nflz747

10. The_Smurph

The_Smurph Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD4870 1GB
    Thanks again man for all the work and effort. ITs seems like I cant keep up with your updates on testing drivers. I will give F1 a try as I actually do have it. Thanks again! :banana:

11. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I always go the extra mile... :)

I'm like now seeing 70% crossfire utilisation in F1 2012 DX10 with one car on track. Settings High 1080p. Similar figures for F1 2011 DX9. But both cpu limited games ultimately. If you do a test run you'll see what I mean if your in crossfire.

Was negative crappy scaling before due to a combination of substandard components and messed up caps...now problem fixed for good in 11.12 Hybrid R9 and 13.1R.

I did a lot of performance testing with drivers/caps components on those particular games for DX9 for 2011 and DX10 for 2012...now a more satisfying experience overall in both.

Lot's of reboots/testing and lots of work.

And I'm now seeing my highest ever 54.45fps in the dark tower benchmark in Just Cause 2, DX10, 1080p with this set. Everything ramped, no AA.

I expect similar increases in other games as well, but you'll just have to try the new R9 version and see if they pack the same kind of performance for you too. Even Sniper Elite V2 DX9 is really smooth now. :)

I think this latest release I have upped at the moment runs things very smooth with minimal problems on legacy even with problematic games like TESV (skyrim).

All the feedback has helped me to make a better driver for all still on legacy, whilst at the same time avoiding all the pitfalls and various bugs of the standard ones.

12. mkflawless

mkflawless Guest

GPU:
    Crossfire ATI 4870
    Installed those drivers and gave it a shot.

Works like a charm, no surprise here :banana: :banana:

Performance is the same as 11.12v8 on LoL, haven't tried bf yet but i don't expect much improvement with this game.

Good job, AGAIN :)

13. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Test as many games as you can. And report any performance differences. :)

14. Useless

Useless Member

GPU:
    1070 Ti - QX2710
    Hello Kev...
    Any improve/change of this driver maybe a new CCC..??
    witch one do you prefer now (in window 7) this one or the 13.1R
    Lets me guess...

15. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    They are both around the same now with CCC.

I fixed up the 13.1 for Wndows 8 yesterday, installs without any fuss from a normal install.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    nevermind

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  17. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Just when you thought it was all completely over...it is now... :)

Back from the dead for one final performance and stability solution to all your legacy needs...

11.12 Hybrid R10 Grand Prix Crossfire PRO edition... :eyebrows:

Try this driver on F1 2012 benchmark in crossfire compared to what your using currently. I'm sure there will be plenty of surprises. That goes for all other games and benchmarks as well not just F1 games.
    40 fps average in 1080p on HIGH in x-fire here and the game isn't even supported/optimised on legacy properly.Just take drivers for a spin, errrr....

This driver is the perfect one for me now after months of experiments into how everything fits together with legacy crossfire on the most problematic card in history the 4870x2...it is what I am using all day every day as my main driver and yes i've tried them all. But now you have all the best efforts and perfect harmony of components to play games with. :)

Oh and i fixed the crossfire flicker in the F1 2012 garage as well while I was at it.

Extended exhaustive testing of multiple wide scope of games, benchmarks, tweaking, and analysis/bug testing over several months has allowed me to offer a final Hybrid R10 for Vista/Windows 7 x64 retaining all the benefit's and research I have learned and implemented for legacy up to now additionally with :

- Increased windows/2D performance.
    - Increased driver stability/robustness in day to day use after extensive research into driver bsod's on legacy/crossfire with apps and games. 3dmark 2013 passes all tests with a different root cause fix and works without a hitch whilst sacrificing nothing, and no blue screens atikmpag crap several times a week/hangs of crash prone 12.xx legacy drivers or the downward spiral stuttery performance. You get all the old crossfire performance on legacy cards back, but you also get all the modern bugfixes for games bundled in as well, and driver stability to boot.
    - Increased crossfire performance/higher gpu utilisation across the board, in benchmarks and in games. Fastest legacy crossfire driver I can offer on new Unigene valley 1.0 benchmark, and 3dmark benchmarks in DX9 and DX10 in crossfire.
    - Less/eliminated video hardware errors several times a week in the eventlog of the other modern drivers.
    - Snappy performance, very stable and robust. A driver you can rely on and turn to when nothing else quite works well.

This is what they should have really given you people instead... :)

My best improved and reworked and fastest hybrid driver yet while retaining all modern bug fixes for popular games, and the important updates of R1-9 like OpenCL, OpenGL, and other bugfixes/discoveries with improved stability and performance in day to day use over other crappy drivers.

There is only one downside to this special performance release because there was simply no other way around it, but not really. Lack of user profiles for games, use radeonpro instead if you must because the CCC must remain at 11.12 due to the way things work, there was no other way. However all latest system and CAP profiles are included and implemented as normal when games are started. If you really miss user profiles instead of performance, just carry on using R9.

The 11.12 Hybrid project is now completed, finally. Don't think I can improve anything anymore than this final one that has leaps better stability+performance. Tada !

Windows Vista/7 x64

http://www.mediafire.com/?7gycm4pgia3az4l

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  18. Useless

Useless Member

GPU:
    1070 Ti - QX2710
    Hello Kev...!!

Couple question here...
    I always used custom install because I don't use the ATI HDMI driver I prefer
    the Realtek driver also I don't use the Hydravision then when I pick custom install a need to pick app. profiles in order to get app. profiles right...?? (default wasn't chosen)
    I mean the driver has a default app. profiles too. plus in a custom install we need to pick app. profiles too. right.??
    Now if I want to use the "use AMD pre-define profiles" then in the scroll down menu I underline the application I want to play at an then pick apply that's it..??

Also In your 11.12r9 I'm using there is not crisys3 profile the other are there but not this one

Downloading now...

19. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    You can just install the Realtek 2.70 ATI HDMI driver over the top in any case.

Yes always use custom install and APP profiles must be ticked manually.

There are no pre defined profile lists with this version, but CAP profiles will be applied for games as normal, and are the highest available as long as the caps with the driver are installed manually from the custom install, just use radeonpro if you need things like that.

I'm still performing small tweaks to this final driver and testing currently, there should be an updated version soon with the links updated once I am happy with the changes and tests. Crysis 3 profile should be applied by default in R10.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  20. Useless

Useless Member

GPU:
    1070 Ti - QX2710
    Good to know... to tell you the thru I almost never bother/change app. profiles
    as long as I knew I did the right install and that when I lunch an application it picks the right app. profile that's is good to me.
    I always do manual install... in >>Programs and features there is the always the Catalyst install manager and the application profiles.

[​IMG]

Thanks