Gamers not that interested in new Xbox if it blocks used games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. lieutenant

lieutenant Guest

GPU:
    quad-fire 7970ge
    We experience huge piracy even the golden ages, with the ability to play used games or rent a game before buy it.
    Now what they are thinking, making profit from one chance play? Financial crisis worldwide? Does that ring any bells?
    Good luck, they are gonna shut down if they play hard against remaining customers really.

3. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Not really surprised by that news. ;)
    Many of used like looking around the 'previously owned' shelves in GAME to see if we can get a bargain!
    But Sony are at the same sort of caper as well, however.

4. DownHill911

DownHill911 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690

Xbox 360 users kept saying that for them it was cheaper than alternative-PC.
    I guess it isn't cheap enough all cheap at all if you add price of the overpriced games and cost of Xbox live.
    My suggestion: If you are 18+ just go back to school and get a better job and you will surely be able to afford £1000 PC.
    Or maybe that £60 a month iPhone contract from your mate(seller) isn't such a good deal.

If only those kids understood numbers.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No surprises here. It was to be expected....

I'm sure desktop sales will boom if this happens.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I have no interest in a console anyways. So this news is just making me give even less fu*ks.

7. lieutenant

lieutenant Guest

GPU:
    quad-fire 7970ge
    This console gaming is much more expensive with less games and support than pc.

PC gives you a plethora of choices, music and entertainment.

Games cost almost the half(unless you are a freak and your pants want always special editions, collector's, etc), now if you own 100 games the difference will be more than 2500$ up to 5000$.

If you put the paid services on the bill it's unreal, you could afford an enthusiast almost PC.

Not only Xbox but also PS for the same situation it's accused of.

8. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    It's been said before probably, but that's who this little stunt is directed at, Gamespot and others for making money off of used games. I love how this screws over everyone, Microsoft included. Real bright thinkers.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yes i can understand gamers with a PowerUp Rewards program with gamestop are probably not that interested in new Xbox if it blocks used games. (or can you say, not interested in gamestop really?)
    The rest (majority) wont give a damn

10. lieutenant

lieutenant Guest

GPU:
    quad-fire 7970ge
    Excuse my ignorance, who cares for majority if gives a damn if they could do it.
    In my country i can rent a game and if i like then i will buy it
    -or-
    i can trade games with friends for a limited time period for joy
    That's the spirit of beautiful and enjoying game, not everything for myself and I.

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Renting is not that popular here , infact there are almost 0 stores left , whether that involves movies or games , people just buy them.
    trying out games can be done through their online services ?

12. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    There is a very big difference between what gamers say and what gamers do, look to Diablo 3 as an example ("I won't buy it if it has always online DRM")- or the MW3 on PC ("no dedicated servers, no buy").

The console will sell no matter what any gamers say and no matter what MS does, as soon as Halo 5 or MW4.5 comes out it will clear the shelves.

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Just wait until Call of Duty 5 is released..then people's opinions will change.

PC gaming has never been so popular. What isn't there is like? Steam is better than anything MS or Sony can muster. Games are half the price or even less than console games. Better graphics.

14. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I also prefer pc gaming, but there are problems if we are honest. crap ports, crap drivers, crap os, games released with crashes (yes even for pc exclusive games). lots of things can go wrong , while on the console allot less. it would make more sense at this point to buy games at a later date then at launch.

It also depends if your real life friends are willing to buy the same stuff as you do.
    there is also still the feeling that a pc belongs behind a desk. hopefully steams big picture mode and the steam box will change all that.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    "according to Gamestop.............which gets almost half its profit from sales of used discs"

So a shop that has nothing to do with gaming, but makes hundreds of millions a year from used game sales asks customer who buy pre-owned games would they like a console that stops you from playing used games.
    I literally could not think of a less reliable source for this information.

The reality is what Major Melchett said, lots would shout and scream, but then would still buy the console regardless,

Not sure why the PC side of it is being brought up, since when did Steam let you sell used game, so it's clearly worse than anything MS or Sony are currently using.
    PC game's are also only much cheaper than console games in the UK, in the US and the rest of the EU there is little difference with many games being the exact same price.

16. DownHill911

DownHill911 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 690

If only nvidia and/or AMD made their own console which you could connect to your PC, or at least with you mouse and keyboard.
    Result : Better sales for each of them, and cheaper hardware and yet better looking games due to no porting for us-users.

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    PC gaming does have that geeky stigma attached to it. (Overweight guys sitting in a darkened room alone for hours.) This can be changed. Building a PC can be expensive, if you are looking to have the best graphics for your 1920 x 1080 screens. But if are looking to take PC gaming in to the living room then you really don't need to spend that much as TV resolutions are far lower.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I think the overweight loner behind a desk stereotype thing is actually going away.

The expense thing isn't though, and AMD/Nvidia haven't helped this, but they obviously have their own priorities.
    A big deterrent for people wanting to move into PC gaming is hassle, if you have a busy life then you don't have time dealing with driver issues, optimising settings for each game, or OS issues.
    It's fine if your young and have little in the way of responsibility's and lots of free time, but if they have a family and/or hectic work life then PC gaming is just not for them.

Not sure what you mean about the last bit though, TV resolutions are nearly all 1920 x 1080, even budget supermarket TV's are.

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Really? I was comparing with the Plasma TV of mine, which is only 1080 x 768.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That would be older TV's, especially plasmas as years ago most were 1368x768 if i remember correctly.

These days you would have to go out your way to find a TV with a res lower than 1920x1080, even tiny bedroom TV's are now just 1080p monitors with a tv tuner added.