3570k vs. 3770k

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by spectra, Jan 22, 2013.

1. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    I already have a good graphics card (HD7970) and 8 GB of 2000 MHz ddr3 memory(mushkin 996991 kit). Also I have enough storage and I belive fast enough for my needs (60 GB ssd for linux and 1 TB caviar black for windows). There isn't much more places where to spend the US$ 85, so the question would be whether not to spend US$ 85, period, or to spend and get the 3770K.

btw, my ram kit is rated 1.65 V, would this be a problem?
    http://www.mushkin.com/Memory/Blackline/996991.aspx

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes I had friend who killed his 3770k with 1.65 ram. You want 1.6 at most, preferably 1.5

3. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    He killed while at stock or while overclocking?
    Is it possible to undervoltage the ram to safe levels?

I realy don't want to buy another set of ram if possible

4. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    1.65v will be fine, go for it.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    4.5ghz oc, ram was 1866 1.65. one day it wouldnt post, he rmas it and intel says the memory controller was fried. I wouldnt take the risk. you can most likely just run it at 1.6 volts and it should be stable

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Seems strange 1.65V fried the memory controller. Maybe that is a weak point on the i7-3770K?! Do you know how many people out there are actually using 1.65V RAM with their i5's/i7's, quite a lot!

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I wouldnt run 1.65v ram myself tbh. 1.6v max for me

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    well im sure there's a good reason intel says absolute max of 1.58 volts

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...s/core-i7-memory-suppliers-0412-datasheet.pdf

Pretty stupid Intel listing those memory modules for Sandy/Ivy Bridge etc if the CPU can't handle the voltage the memory modules are listed as!...

Although on a site where I got that link from, Intel supposedly said the processors are only designed for 1.5V, go figure! Technically the CPU's aren't designed to be overclocked, just that the K models allows you to do it. Does that mean nobody should overclock because it's not designed for it? Remember, if it were designed for it, as far as Intel see's it for warranty, the chips would actually ship with the overclock in the first place.

1.65V is fine to run on the CPU, you can almost bet Intel just said 1.5V knowing that a lot of memory is 1.65V (as per the 'approved' list in the document above). If Intel said warranty was invalid because you used 1.65V, you would have a valid claim that they are shirking their warranty responsibilities. This is especially true in Australia! Actually here the consumer is protected beyond the manufacturers warranty period by what is called 'reasonable expectation'. If you paid a lot of money for something that has only a 2 year warranty, and it stuffs up after 2.5 years, because it was reasonable to expect the product to last longer than 2.5 years because of the original price, you are legally covered. It's kind of a hard technical thing to claim, and it's something most Australian's don't really know about.

10. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    I belive I have a set of 1.5 V DIMMs on the secondary computer, but it would be a shame go to a 4 GB set @ 1600 MHz comming from 8 GB @ 2000 MHz

One last question, I know this is silly but since I didn't check the mobo throughly, I'll have to sell my case. The maximus V formula is an E-ATX mobo, and my case is the CM690 II basic, with no support for it. I would like to be sure that the HAF 932 or HAF X can handle it properly (they are rated for E-ATX, but I would like someone to confirm).

And on asus website it's written that it needs an E-ATX power conector, wth is that? have they messed up the names and it's just the atx 24 pin power conector? I have and HX850, will it plug into the maximus V correctly?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm feeling dumb enough that I didn't realised that the mobo didn't fit my case till the moment I got home.

Also, I'm probably leaning for the 3570K, the case upgrade will probably eat some of my available budget, eventhough I have already found someone to buy my present case the moment I dispose it.

11. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    anyone?

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The power connector you are referring to is the normal 24 pin power connector, but with the addition of the 2 other 4-pin ATX power connectors. Many boards only require one extra 4-pin ATX connector, and my board (Asrock z77 Extreme 6) has only one extra ATX power connector, but has a Molex connector in place of the second ATX connector.

The difference comes from what actually is ATX and other extensions to it etc. What I said above is 'correct', but is also incorrect! But in any case, basically you have to make sure you have the 24 pin connector, plus the extra 4-pin connectors described under the ATX derivative EPS12V scheme.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  13. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    Ok, thanks for the answer, but please answer me another simple question:

Will I be ok with the maximus V formula using an HAF 932 with an HX850 psu?

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes, you should be :)

15. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    I've found a deal on a 932 advanced, I'll try going to see it monday, and possibly buying it too then.

I was a couple of reviews and it seemed pretty awesome, I wasn't concerned, but it should fit my HD7970, right?

16. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    for 40 dollar? Deffo get the 3770k

I bought a 3570k for 200 euro and the 3770k is like 100 euro +- extra.

You never know when you need HT :p

17. bryonhowley

bryonhowley Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    I have not been with intel for quite some time but am very happy with my i5 3570k. A friend of mine went with the i7 and has to disable HT for most of his gaming so I do not really see the advantage of the extra money witch could have gone for a better video card or other hardware upgrade. That said I really do not have much more reference on the intel side as I have been with AMD since the AMD K6-2 up to the AMD FX-8350.

When I decided to rebuild my Hachintosh intel/Nvidia was the only way to go. What I found amazing is that my Hachintosh build is more stable and faster than my real Mac Pro has ever been. Now we just need more Steam games to get ported to OSX!

18. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    Strange, why did he had to disable HT?

Besides, I remember that apple used the HD5xxx on their mac pro, if I remember correctly HD5850, didin't it?

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    they used 5770 for stock and top end was the 5870

20. jhelsas

jhelsas Guest

GPU:
    PC HD 7970
    Ok, got the case, an HAF 932 advanced.

Now to decide the CPU.

Do anyone have a comparative review between the 3770K and the 3570K?
    I've found one before, but I'm not finding it again.

Thanks