MSI Afterburner 2.3.1 (2013-01-23)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Voltage is not totally locked on NV side, but they indeed limit the maximum voltage that can be set via official NVIDIA API to 1.175mV on Kepler series. And they rather agressively try to force all vendors to follow the limitation. There should be a bit more freedom in voltage control area on next gen NV hardware.
    But all those limitations apply to official NVIDIA voltage control API and AMD have NO voltage control API at all (and even no reliable I2C access API, so vendors need to create low-level I2C driver for each new AMD chip). So in the end it is much easier for software developers to provide working and reliable voltage control for NV hardware, even if NV try to limit it.

2. SZlodey

SZlodey Guest

GPU:
    palit gtx680 2048mb
    I cant find this option, where it now? Please, can show in the screenshot where this option now or explain in more detail? Thank you.

3. Unwinder

Select default skin supplied with application.

4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

5. Snacko

Snacko Member

GPU:
    nVidia 1080TI
    Since the update to v2.3.1 the GPU1 & 2 Temps will NOT show up in the System Tray anymore. In the Settings it says they are on (in tray), but in the Notifications Customization screen when I set them to 'Show icon and notifications' it says 'This notification icon is not currently active.'

I've had this set for months, and they always displayed. I didn't change anything, and after the update they're gone...

6. Unwinder

There were no changes in this part of functionality fot YEARS. Configure your system properly.

7. Snacko

Snacko Member

GPU:
    nVidia 1080TI
    Properly? What more can I do? I check a box in AB to show the temps in the tray. Windows says they aren't there. Not rocket science..

I'll try an uninstalled & re-install.

8. Unwinder

I have no ideas what have you configured wrong since installing 2.3.1. I just know for sure that tray icon monitoring code has not been altered for ages so ""it started since I installed 2.3.1" doesn't worth attention, sorry.

9. Eluder

Eluder Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Works fine for me, however, the weird thing is when I do show a temp in the tray, I can't open AB from the icon anymore in the tray. No matter, I don't use this feature since I use Aida64 to display my h/w temps in the tray.

10. Woxenrud

Woxenrud Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6970
    Any chance so see loop recording in a future version? Then I could uninstall fraps forever.

11. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    What OS are you using? Are you using single icon mode?

12. Eluder

Eluder Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, yes on single icon mode.

13. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Unwinder has confirmed (with some help from me) that the clicks can sometimes be ignored under Windows 8, maybe it affects some setups in Windows 7 as well? I dunno, but Unwinder has said that their will be a fix in the next version. Meanwhile, have you tried a reinstall with your previous settings cleared (meaning you'll have to reset them).

14. Eluder

Eluder Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    No because as mentioned, I don't use AB to display my temps, so since that option is disabled, clicks work just fine. I just tried it to confirm for another user that the functionality does indeed work still.

15. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    @Unwinder

Can I ask a quick question please. Why do I get the best results by a long way when overclocking using Afterbunrer version 2.2.3 with my MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC.

Thanks

Jonny

16. Unwinder

Because MSI under NVIDIA pressure limited voltage control in 2.2.4 and newer for all Kepler cards. And it is clearly reflected in version history and it was discussed many times, including possible workarounds. Use search please.

17. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Thanks,

were you referring to this post you made a while back for a MSI 670 PE workaround? Or to edit the profile somehow else so your latest version could be used and still overvolt. I tried searching various terms but only arrived with this below.

<Some black magic for 680 Lightning owners:

On 2.2.4 you may edit Lightning hardware profile files (.\Profiles\VEN_10DE&DEV_1180....cfg) and add the following lines there:

[Settings]
    VDDC_Generic_Detection = 0
    VDDC_CHL8318_Detection = 46h
    VDDC_CHL8318_Type = 1

Those lines disable NVIDIA's capped voltage control module, enable voltage control via direct access to CHL8318 and select offset voltage control mode for it.

Note: each card profile must be edited for SLI configs. >

18. Unwinder

This is for Lightning 680, 670 needs different config. Check post #76

19. JonnyRedHed

JonnyRedHed Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Thanks

Can this go at the top of cfg file.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    What doesn't make sense to me is according to MSI all card even PE are limited to 1.175v max , even with versions of AB with voltage control working .

Now part I can't figure out , my card (6606ti PE ) does 1.175v stock in most app . It may dial back to 1.162v after a while .

So going by this you would think that anything over a setting of 10mv would do little or have no extra wattage usage. But that is not the case . 10mv give an extra few watts and it goes up with each increase of slider .

I guess only way to see is to check with meter on back by core , I just don't feel like probing as I use HS , maybe if I had water block i might feel different .

Has anyone confirmed what voltages are given with slider