Does anyone getting black squares in firefox using catalyst 13.1 - 13.2 beta3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Heihachi88, Jan 30, 2013.

1. c627627

c627627 Guest

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX
  2. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    No black squares (13.2 b3), but then again I use FF in software mode because it doesn't seem to work that well in windows 8.

3. c627627

c627627 Guest

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX
    It may be that this bug only affects 7xxx series AMD Ati cards.

Firefox is Windows 8 compatible. Reinstall/create a new custom profile in a custom location using
    firefox.exe -profilemanager -no-remote
    to make sure add-ons are not your problem.

When you set up everything like you want it to be - back up your custom profile folder. After that, whenever you have a Firefox problem, you can delete custom folder and replace with a back up from when things were OK.

The good news is that there is now an official bug thread about this:
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=837489

4. Heihachi88

Heihachi88 Guest

GPU:
    7970M CrossfireX
    So it's a driver failure?

5. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    sooo glad I went back to opera years ago.....after the mozilla guys banned me from the forums for asking for help with profiles that kept going poof....i was told that by saying that, i was bad mouthing ff.....huh...i thought i was just asking for help with a browser I thought I liked....

oh well, never had a problem reporting a problem to the opera guys or getting help with a problem from the community or developers......:D

6. Heihachi88

Heihachi88 Guest

GPU:
    7970M CrossfireX
    13.2 beta 5 is still bugged. I just created a profile for firefox with crossfire disabled, so far no black squares. AMD should fix crossfire problem with firefox!

UPDATE disabling crossfire doesn't help... so its driver

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  7. c627627

c627627 Guest

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX
    I'm beginning to suspect that this isn't a problem that is either there or gone. Maybe it's the frequency that's affected? I think official 18.0.2 reduced the number of times it appears. I think Catalyst 12.11 also reduces it but they don't resolve it completely.

This isn't only a cross fire (I have a single card).

As far as I can tell the only way to get rid of this completely is to go back to Catalyst 12.10 which does work with Windows 8 by the way.

8. OldMX

OldMX Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1660
    Can you guys having the same issue on firefox/win8/13.1 in about:config change the value gfx.direct3d.prefer_10_1 to false and see if that fixes the black squares?

9. woniu

woniu Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE HD7850 2048 OC
    Yes setting that pref to false fixed completely artifacts for me.
    Do You have some info how you find it out?

*EDIT* Not, artefacts still persist

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  10. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    If this helps I have gfx.direct3d.prefer_10_1 set to true in WaterFox

4870x2, WaterFox 18.0.1, Catalyst 13.1.

No 2D artifacts using given tests, just to rule out older cards from this equation.

I think it's more likely to be a driver bug than a FF one.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013

11. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    I'm betting that it's related to this issue . And better don't count on AMD to fix it. The 7xxx series had trouble with Firefox since it's release and it only got worse. The DX 9 flickering apparently isn't fix either. It's over a year now and no fix in sight.

At this point I'm starting to believe that there is something inherently wrong with the HD 7xxx architecture.

12. c627627

c627627 Guest

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX
    It is related to this official issue:
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=837489

But yes, the vast majority of people reporting it have HD 7xxx architecture. I still cannot reliably reproduce it, it just pops up once in a while but it still does pop up even on latest Firefox 19.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  13. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I had blue squares with beta6 and win8, but none of that happens in windows 7.
    Firefox is also far more responsive in windows 7.

14. c627627

c627627 Guest

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX
    The issue is not limited to Windows 8. The frequency with which it appears may be influenced by different factors however. So you don't see it for a long time and you think the issue is not there but then it happens out of the blue. Not as often but it's still there.

So if you have this issue, it may not happen as often if you have
    -Different version of Windows
    -Different version of Catalyst (I don't think it happens with Catalyst 12.8 or earlier, I think it's rare with Catalyst 12.10 - it definitely happens with Catalyst 13.1 and 13.2 and not as often with 12.11 but it still happens with 12.11.)
    -Different version of Firefox (I don't think it happens with Firefox 17 or earlier)

I think it happens more often with Firefox 18.0 and 18.01 and less with Firefox 18.02 and Firefox 19 - but it's definitely there with Firefox 18.02 and 19.

I've noticed is that it appears to affect more people with HD 7xxx architecture and it appears to start showing up with Firefox 18.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  15. woniu

woniu Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE HD7850 2048 OC
    I've finally resolve this problem. For now it's only a temporary solution but it works. Try set gfx.content.azure.enabled to false in firefox about:config. After that no more artifacts for me

16. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Noticed black squares popping up to the top left of the browser after enlarging images.
    Could be firefox/adobe related.

17. upurz2

upurz2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 3GB OC Ed
    Hi Guys.

Can you try the steps below to see if you get the same results I do? My corruption results in the navigation and bookmark toolbar becoming blue as well as what I outline below. I get other types of corruption but not often.

Start with a new profile then run firefox with it and close it.

Then make sure 'gfx.content.azure.enabled' in prefs is set to TRUE. If set to FALSE the problem doesn't occur.

Place this one line of CSS code either in Stylish or UserChrome.css and save it.

#sidebar-header{box-shadow: 3px 3px 3px hsla(213,44%,40%,.1) inset !important}

Restart Firefox with your new profile.

Open up your Bookmark or History sidebar.

Now slowly move the pointer around and on the close button until the close box turns a light blue in color. It might take a little time to produce the effect.

Here's what the close button looks like when it turns blue.

[​IMG]

I'm on Nightly and running Windows 8 Pro x64. Video card is a Sapphire HD7970 with CAT 13.2 beta 7.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yes but mine only appeared with 13.2 Beta 6 & 7

19. upurz2

upurz2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 3GB OC Ed
    Ummmm... Are you responding to me or someone else?

20. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    how long does it take for the X to change color in your test?

is this only for 7 series? that or some older cards dont get complete FF gpu acceleration? (i'm 12.6l + 4870x2, never had artifacts on regular FF, only on some portable older aurora one i tried in the past, but that one was just missing background when adding a bookmark)