Windows 8 marketshare 2.36 percent

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Samsung is actually a very good example, while it is inefficient when it comes to battery life, the fact so many people on XDA and other sites go looking for TouchWiz to install is proof that everyone has their own tastes and needs.

Personal taste is just that, personal, and people need to respect that.

W7 fans have a right to dislike W8, but they don't have a right to disrespect W8 fans, and vice versa.

2. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    The "metro" garbage is in fact being "forced" onto anyone who wants to upgrade to the latest version of windows.

3. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    I said "i could ever blindly defend them or attack someone in a web forum simply because they don't like the direction microsoft is going"

You do not agree that doing this is cowardly and stupid?

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    As is the case with every new interface change in Windows.

Who are you addressing specifically as cowardly and stupid?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  6. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    What about Gnome 3?

So I'd say ALL 3 of the main OS (Windows/Apple/Linux) have had screwup interfaces lately, tablet based or not. I don't know what the source of it all is other than "hmm how can we make it different just to be different and new?" and meetings and presentations about how their UI increases productivity somehow, while using words like "innovative". yuck

Give me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(user_interface) anyday

edit

Uh, no. Certain features are worth upgrading and all versions of all OS eventually end up EOL, such as Windows XP dying off next year. Vista/Win7 do have a gracious few more years: Vista 4/11/2017 and Windows 7 1/14/2020. And after End Of Life, you get no more security patches. Thing is if the interface is never brought back, like it or not, you will be stuck with it eventually.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  7. orac2

orac2 Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC/PE
    i dual-boot Windows 7 Ultimate 64/ Win 8 Pro 64 and man 8 is very fast on bootup! with an SSD ,gaming seems to a bit quicker and have not had any driver problems.

i got it cheap on launch and it's install routine has to be the smartest/quickest i've used since wayyyyyy back to the 3.5" floppy days :)

8. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    tbh i'm using 3 OS's right now, my main one is still Windows 7, but 8 is not bad at all, yes i was very frustrated about the new interface at first but after i played with it for some time i can say that i can see myself using it as my gaming OS in the future. But at the same time Ubuntu 12.10 is a great OS, i'm thinking of going dual boot, gaming on W8 and everything else on Ubuntu.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You have an option whether or not to upgrade. MS isn't forcing anyone to do so, therefore they're not forcing "Metro" on anyone.

I happen to like Gnome3 personally... But, Linux doesn't force you to use Gnome at all. You can also use KDE, Unity, XFCE, etc...

Yes, MS is dropping support for WinXP....but that doesn't mean people have to stop using it. They just won't receive anymore updates. They're still not being forced to upgrade.

Being "forced"....means having no option. Which isn't the case. The option whether or not to upgrade is completely up to each user.

10. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    And if someone wants to upgrade to the latest version of windows they will be "forced" into dealing with the "metro" garbage just as I said.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Same as people were "forced" to deal with the Explorer UI when they upgraded from Windows3.1 to 95. Then the Fisher Price UI with XP... and Fisher Price 2.0 with Vista.....Fisher Price 3.0 with Windows7... Simple solution...and the most intelligent, if you don't like the UI....don't upgrade. There's nothing forcing you to upgrade.

12. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    I didn't address any certain poster as being cowardly and stupid, perhaps you should go back and read what I said again.

13. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    Nobody was "forced" into dealing with any 'fisher price' UI on any operating system, the classic desktop was always there and could be set as default very easily.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And nobody is forced to deal with Metro with Windows8....upgrading is purely optional.

15. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    You are simply arguing semantics and deliberately trolling.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Try using an intellectual argument instead of posting bull****. Fact is, whether or not you upgrade is purely optional. There is absolutely nothing forcing anyone to upgrade at any time. The only one deliberately trolling in this thread, would be you. You don't like the UI, fine, nobody is forcing you to use it in any way. Stick with XP, Vista or 7...but at least stop posting the same old, tired bull****.

17. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You're using poor word choice and putting it onto everyone else to understand the meaning behind it.

Forced is the wrong word. No one is forced into Metro. Stay with Windows XP, Vista or 7. Go to Linux, switch to Mac, switch to mobile.

18. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Where is the obligatory comparison with how Vista did during the same timeframe?

Unless you go 3rd party, you must deal with Metro now and then in Windows 8.
    The "Upgrading is purely optional" view depends on how you look at it.

Eventually, you have no choice but to upgrade to the latest OS if you want the latest security updates and want to play the latest games.
    Depending on what you use your PC for, it might pretty much be unusable if you don't move on from your current OS. Some people may be fine with Windows 95 today, but I would not.

All Microsoft would have needed to do to please both camps was to provide a built-in choice between the classic UI and the new UI. In the previous Windows versions, the new features had built-in options to turn them off if one didn't want them.

There are bad consequences to be had if Windows 7 is the dominant OS for many years to come. If Win9 comes with DX12, studios will still use DX11 since they must target the Win7 base. So I sure hope that many of the complaints are getting adressed in the future Windows.

19. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    No, it just appears that you are making a blanket statement to anyone that happens to defend anything you don't agree with instead of calling them out directly.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Based on all the bull**** statements....MS should have given Windows95 users the choice of using Explorer or Progman...which didn't happen without a registry "tweak" as the kiddies call it. Yet, there wasn't nearly as much bitching and moaning as there is now. Sadly, most of the bitching and moaning is coming from self-proclaimed "power users" and "enthusiasts"....which is just pathetic. If you're really a "power user" or "enthusiast"...a simple UI change shouldn't disrupt your life. You should enjoy the slight learning curve. Some of you need to log out, shutdown your computer, go outside and see what the world is really like. Maybe then a simple UI change wouldn't have such a huge impact on your life....

Doesn't matter how you look at it. Upgrading is optional. Windows7 will be supported for several more years and already supports DX11. Until DirectX 12 is released, it's utterly pointless to worry about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.