Creative Sound Blaster Z Series

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by IanM, Aug 15, 2012.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Creative actually did a fantastic job with SoundCore3D

2. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Can someone recommend this SoundBlaster Zx over an SoundBlaster X-fi Titanium Fatality Pro ? because i am a bit scared that i regret it when i buy the ZX i hear stories about [tin can] sound and tunnel sound even on standard mode, and that the sound is less clear then an op and top notch X-Fi soundblaster like mine ?

Just asking because i dont want to spend allot of money on something if it isnt worth the upgrade :question:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I went from an Auzen Prelude which is a much better card than the Fatality and the ZX sounds much better. I consider it a worthy upgrade.

4. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    It depands if u like echo can sound or not i gues, no hard feelings but some people say also on amazone that the upgrade is not worth it :S

5. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    had the same issue, thanks to Anarion i just set my Headphones in Windows from 5.1 to Stereo and lowered some SBX settings and now i'm good to go and enjoy way better sound than i had on my Forte, for gaming i enable 5.1 mode and it sounds absolutely stunning.

6. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    I dont have a 5.1 set i got the Creative Gigaworks T3 so in the end is it worth upgrading i gues ?

7. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Went from a Auzentech Forte to a Xonar D2X and now to the Zx, and I love it.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    On top of that the speaker setup thingy can mess up the sound and make it sound like everything is in your head. Especially if one uses line-out with headphones. Out of the box default settings suck in my opinion.

9. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You only get that echo sound if you use the surround option which I do not. Just enable DTS neo PC and you get surround in movies. Aimp3 will upmix to 5.1 in music. As Anarion has said the default options are crap but play with it a little and this card really shines. I am really pleased with this purchase.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    That's why you make your own profile when your using SBX/Tru studio, so you can config it to the way you want it. The who ever made the default profile, must been slipping something when they created it. When you use windows speaker setting to 5.1. I don't get that echo issue, but then I using the Recon3D with my external dac amp thru optical.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Louder != better. Both have same DAC for front out, DX lacks headphone amp. Zx line-out gives out more volume than Forte's headphone out with my headphones. Based on Sony MDR v55 specs, I'm almost certain that those do not need amp. Though they aren't the most sensitive headphones so who knows.

In my opinion SBX is a big no no for normal stereo content. I haven't tested how well it works in games that actually feed 5.1 data but I've always ended up using normal stereo mode myself.

12. CiroConsentino

CiroConsentino Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2080 AMP!
    I would like to know this as well. Can someone with the card please check this ?
    Treble control is very important to me and I don't like using equalizers as audio always sound weird with it.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    No such setting. Though SBX Pro Studio has bass slider that probably does more or less the same thing. No treble though.

14. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    My friend just got this Z series card and now he is wondering what speakers to buy. I have suggested him Creative Gigaworks G500. What do you guys suggest?

15. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    What's his budget? I'd say Edifiers C6/ or Microlab FC 360 5.1. Both can be purchased on overclockers. I have the C6's and couldn't be happier. They are great speakers for their price range. If he can afford a bit more then go for the Edifier S550s.

16. CiroConsentino

CiroConsentino Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2080 AMP!
    The treble would be in the speaker properties in Windows, not the Creative apps.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I know. Nothing says that they couldn't add different method for treble (they haven't and the old one is gone). I never had to use those.

18. CiroConsentino

CiroConsentino Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2080 AMP!
    I do need it as my analog 5.1 system doesn't have it.
    I guess I'm gonna have to get a X-Fi Titanium (the regular one, not the HD).
    Currently I'm using a Audigy 2 ZS and I never had a problem with it.

19. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I've ordered a Z yesterday. Hope i will get it today. I didn't need the volume knob or changeable opamps, so the Z is good for me. I'm quite interested what to expect. I went from Titanium OEM -> Recon3D like a year ago, but returned it within hours. I could not stand the sound that Recon3D was pooping out.

What i've read about the Z is that it is an improvement over the Recon3D. But what EQ settings should i alter to get the same effect as the treble/bass sliders? Which frequencies?

EDIT:
    Awww crud! My delivery has been postponed till Tuesday.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  20. CiroConsentino

CiroConsentino Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2080 AMP!
    For treble, the higher frequencies at the right side of the equalizer. I think above 4K
    see picture: http://www.vortez.net/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=19333

for bass, the ones in the left.
    But an equalizer is not the same as having bass/treble controls... it just doesn't sound the same!
    When you get the card, please check if the speakers properties really do not have a treble control. Thank you.
    I was thinking on buying the regular Z model as well.