Windows 8 High DPC latency Fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Penal Stingray, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    and what kinda of problem would that be sir? chick problem? well that I ran into all the time ahhaahha.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    programs not being able to increase the virtual amount of memory. its a part of a os (and not only windows)

3. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    what kinda program? I haven't had any problems with any programs so far name one program ill test it.

4. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    could be any that uses it

5. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    do u know any? id like to try it

6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    nope sorry cant say i do.

7. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    well if u happen to know one in the future that uses virtual memory and if there not enough of it, I wil run into a problem feel free to let me know ill be happy to test it ;)

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Open a folder with a lot of shortcuts in it, then it should jump a bit..

9. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    lol mine did jumping jacks but I try to open a lot folders though and my dpc latency spiked to 20 us and average back to 5 us but the pagefault remains 0 us maybe I have pagefile disabled that's why its always 0

[​IMG]

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Maybe? So what you're saying is you're bragging about having no page faults because you have the page file disabled.

11. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    1GB page file would be sufficient for now to assist in determining that this is or isn't the issue with having no page file. Switch it on?

12. army_cadet

army_cadet Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte g1 980
    +1
    Lol

13. JeffJ

JeffJ Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6470M
    I don't have a page file on my laptop because i run a ssd, i still get hard page faults, they are initiated by programs when they grab more memory. they are not even a bad thing. no idea why his reports 0 that's pretty much impossible, probably just a buggy reading. and its definitely nothing to brag about at any rate for him.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
  15. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Oh I see, I still use a page file on my SSD but it's set to 1GB with 8GB RAM installed. Page File on an SSD is of course quicker than on a HDD and I've left it on just in case.

16. JeffJ

JeffJ Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6470M
    Page file on SSD is a good way to shorten the life of your ssd, Ideally you want things to write to the ssd as little as possible because solid state memory has a R/W shelf life.

I've always found a page file redundant if you have gobs of ram anyways.

17. valentyn0

valentyn0 Member Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800 XT
    Pagefile should be disabled on a regular PC, even if u have a PCI-EX SSD card or a normal 2.5" size, why ? RAM is the fastest component, in loading programs so if u have 8GB RAM u should cover it, even with 4 GB would be good but if u game here and then not recommended, if u are a serious gamer, page file should be enabled, some games wont start if it is disabled ( older titles ).

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Not really on the newer drives. You'll be buying a new system before page file usage has any impact on the life of your SSD. Reading has no impact on SSD life. It's the erase/write cycles.

19. JeffJ

JeffJ Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6470M
    Fair enough, I have mine disabled as i punish the ssd with r/w that i need for work daily. The fact still stands that to achieve the max life, a page file should be moved to a non ssd drive or disabled. But depending on the brand and quality of drive you definitely correct that you wont burn out the drive before you find it too slow and replace it with newer tech.

Besides, unless you have some applications that are hard coded to use a page file and need it. with the amount of ram people have these days, use it not the hdd. its faster as stated above.

Edit: as i flap my gums i check my drives remaining life est: still 99% and ive bashed this with thousands of r/w 5 days a week.

20. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Did some more testing Dynamic tick on and off

Dynamic Tick Off 4 us

[​IMG]

Dynamic Tick On 400+ us

[​IMG]

Well disabling it certainly drop my dpc latency big time gotta be dynamic tick is bugged I suggest if ur dpc latency is already below 10 us don't bother messign with it but if ur dpc is around 100+ I recommend turning that thing off games will run a lot smoother as well as better media playback