AMD Catalyst 13.2 BETA (12.100.0 January 1) Unofficial

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jan 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. BugMeister

BugMeister Guest

GPU:
    2x RX480 NITRO+OC(8G)
    yo, guys - have managed to cure "green stripe" problem via Win7 repair..

cheers for the advice..

next step is to restore AMD drivers - I'll try the 13.1 WHQL..

*fingers crossed*

2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ?

how did this fix the post screen?

windows isnt even close to booted yet...

3. BugMeister

BugMeister Guest

GPU:
    2x RX480 NITRO+OC(8G)
    sorry, should have said - re-seated the two GFX cards..
    must be hardware related, cos I'm not getting access to the second card at all

NB: when I re-installed the 13.1 WHQL, it went through the usual process
    but for some mysterious reason it doesn't show as installed - can't see any
    reference to the CCC anywhere - doesn't even show as a newly installed prog..

something odd going on.. (?)

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Well, that 'second card' is most likely dead.
    If that 'second card' was originally the card that was on the first PCIe slot, then it's likely due to overheating.

5. BugMeister

BugMeister Guest

GPU:
    2x RX480 NITRO+OC(8G)
    correct - the green lines have re-appeared and I assume that the software didn't
    install correctly because one or other of the cards is fried..

any attempt to use the GFX cards fails - tried to run a game - system goes haywire

can only run in safe mode at the moment - I'll try running with each card individually,
    one of them may still be OK (- with luck!)

sorry to get off-topic..

will get back when things are corrected..

once again, thanks for the help..

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  6. teppic

teppic Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Are the official 13.2 beta drivers confirmed for this week? Any firm date?

7. metroid046

metroid046 Guest

GPU:
    Palit 3090
    @CatalystCreator: Quick update - Catalyst 13.2 Beta driver will now be likely releasing next week

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  8. V1tol

V1tol Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    After computer wakes up from sleep performance in games drops almost a twice on Windows 8 x64. After reboot all is good again.

9. Prasad007

Prasad007 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970M 2GB
    I had the same issue on the same OS with 12.11 Beta drivers. Using MSI Kombustor to test performance and GPU-Z to monitor performance, I noticed the clocks were locked and wouldn't raise further without restarting. I did a format and reinstall of the OS recently and jumped straight to the newest drivers and haven't had this issue. Perhaps clean installing 13 series Catalyst drivers should solve your problem in this case, hopefully.

10. V1tol

V1tol Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    The most funny in this situation is that I installed 13.2 on clean Win8 Pro x64 (after amd clean utility killed my Win7). On 13.1 WHQL all is good with sleep\wakeup ang game perf. These drivers are at closed alpha stage IMO, and they're not optimized for 6xxx series at all. It's my drug - test any driver I can find. So I just made a bugreport, people should know.:)

11. kerranG.

kerranG. Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    These are working great on w8 x64 and im using a 6850...

12. NeonMiracle

NeonMiracle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX4070 Ti
    Guys, I am new to AMD cards, and I would like to know if I need to install the 12.11 CAP after installing the 13.1 driver???

13. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

You do. If your however installing this 13.2 beta, you do not.

14. NeonMiracle

NeonMiracle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX4070 Ti
    Humm ok. One more thing.

To update a driver. Should I remove the CAP before installing the new driver and intall again later? Or can I leave the CAP and just update the driver?

Exemple: I had the 12.11b driver and 12.11 CAP 2.
    To update to 13.1 driver. I uninstalled the 12.11b driver and the 12.11 CAP. And then I installed the 13.1 driver and the 12.11 CAP again.

Is it correct this way???

15. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    gw2 perf problems are NOT gpu issues most of the time, gw2 has 3 main threads that are critical to game performance, if any one of these bogs down, the whole game bogs down(read the developers notes and posts they say this over and over) a 5770 can run this game fine IF the cpu can deal with it and IF for whatever reason a bottleneck isnt hit.

anet are not sure why some systems have such issues, I Have seen 3770k/3930k/39*0x chips overclocked to 4.6+ with high end videocards(amd and nvidia) with poor perf issues(read the gw2 forums tech support section, its really pretty common problem)

nvidia no longer has negative scaling with SLI in GW2, both AMD and Nvidia have done all they can do help anet, the problems with gw2 perf are due to fundamental design decisions, like using dx9 and not working to properly thread the game from the start.

if you want a couple easy examples of what dx11 can bring perf wise, check out WoW's dx11 path, it boosts perf AND looks a bit better...this on an engine thats as old as the one gw2 uses(gw2 engine is just a modified gw1 engine, anet admit this, if you read the developers comments both on their own forums and on reddit)

clearly I know now about the facts of dx10/11 then you do....then again, i dont buy into the garbage that dx9 is the penical and that 10/11 are just "Fluff"

Im pretty sure I said dx9 level hardware, and they are, the 360 uses an ati video chip thats sort of a mishmash between the x1900 and hd2900 designes, the ps3 uses
    dx9 level hardware
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_'Reality_Synthesizer'
    yes it may run opengl(the 360 can as well infact) but its feature set is dx9, same as the Xenos chip used in the 360.

nope its due to greed, they want sales to those xp users who either refuse to upgrade past xp or whos systems really arent suited to anything higher then xp(tho, rarely have I found an xp system used for gaming that didnt run better with 7 then xp....)

its all about greed.....money money money.....funny thing is, they would get more sales of gw2 if it ran better on modern hardware....it would also cut down on their tech support problems, read the tech support section of the gw2 forum, you will see alot of people with old systems that cant run the game or that overheat trying to run it(or both) ...... even the devs admit the game runs poorly on many systems...

sounds like you still run windows xp, or are a dx9 warrior yourself, clearly you have no bloody idea what dx11 or even 10 bring to the table, the fact is, dx10 and 11 can bring performance boosts without changing how the game looks, BUT heres the real kicker, you can make a game look better AND RUN BETTER with dx11, I have seen this myself, honestly till I saw it with my own eyes, I didnt believe it.....now that I have seen it, and have researched it, I get why, dx11(and to a lesser extent 10) where designed with multi threading in mind, they where also designed to avoid the pitfalls dx9 has for developers.

you can do the same effects under 11 that you can under 9, but with very little to no perf hit compared to 9, try running the gpu burn in/bench section of kombustor in d3d with 9 and 11, you will see the dif.....its night and say(perf wise)

vista failed for 2 main reasons.

bad drivers on release

bugs that should have been patched before going gold where not patched till sp1, after sp2 vista and 7 are pretty damn close on a decent system...note: i used server 2008 till i moved to 7, I know both os's very well(2008 is vista server)

from what I read, a big part of the fail of dx10 other then vista was also due to Nvidia holding things back, the 2900 was a pure dx10 card, the 8800 was NOT, MS re-spec'd dx10 to match nvidia's hardware specs(missing some stuff from orignal dx10 spec, that became 10.1), dx10.1 has alot of advantages over 9, but at the time, it was doomed because to many people stuck with XP and XP dosnt got dx10, thins have changed, according to steam more people run dx10/11 cards now then 9, they also run windows 7 more then xp, and 64bit 7 is more popular then 32bit.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

49.75% are DX11 win7/vista 30.83% are dx10 cards on win7/vista

13.27% are dx10/11 cards on XP

2.75%dx9 sm2b/3
    1.64%dx9 sm2b
    0.57%dx8 and below....looks like the smart money would be on dumping xp support and using dx10/11 instead(since properly coded dx11 can just disable features the card dosnt support and you still gain the advantages of things like driver level multithreading for example)

and thats what alot of dev's have done, and many have even admitted it was a bad move supporting XP is a real pain in the arse, specially due to so many xp systems being in such poor shape, many arent properly updated, they are slow by todays standards, they really arent suited to playing modern games.

but heres the problem, gw2 runs like CRAP on systems well above minimum spec, they admit this, they know its a problem, had they stuck with the dx11 support plan this would have been less of an issue(even one of their dev's admitted this when we where talking with him in game), there are alot of things in dx11 that would allow them to cut down on the cost of effects (cpu and gpu wise), I dont care about making the game look better so much as just making it run better/more consistently.

steam stats would seem to disagree http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

also note, you can run dx11 if properly coded on dx9 and 10 hardware, it will just disable or use cpu to emulate those functions on cards that dont have support for those features.

funny, in my testing both amd and nvidia dx11 low end cards run games like WoW better in dx11 mode then dx9, example is a friend of mine who has a 6670(ddr3 pos version) WoW at 1080p runs at 40is fps for him in dx9, but in dx11 its pegged at 60 outside towns and large raids, in towns dx9 is almost unplayable without turning stuff way down, in raids same deal, but in dx11 it never drops below 20fps(playable if barely)

the sames true for low end nvidia cards in my exp, games like crysis are not indicitive of dx10 or 11perf when done properly(not done to just show off pretty gfx but done to gain perf)

from the steam numbers http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey it looks to me like its time to drop dx9 on AAA titles....it will be fine for titles that arent demanding or that are targeted at casual gamers with low end systems.

they will move on once the ps4 and 720 come out, those are both using AMD APU's (DX11) so we will see the move to dx11 level stuff fairly soon.

I really think somebody in ncsoft/anet management had visions of gw2 on xbox360/ps3 due to the money that would rake in, but the thing is, those systems couldnt handle the game.....their cpu's just dont got the grunt.......the games VERY VERY cpu bound.....

I expect developers making AAA titles that they are hyping like crazy to use modern api's to support the hardware and operating systems of the day, not hardware and operating systems from 8-10 years ago.....and as the steam numbers show http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey most gamers have at least dx10 level hardware, and again, many dx11 advancements work on dx9 and 10 cards as well, they are not restricted to visual effects, but methods of rendering and things like driver level multithreading that can boost perf even on older cards.

the fact is, if you talk to many dev's working at big houses, they stick to 9 because of consoles(makes porting easier either direction) they also do it because their publishers want money from xp users, this is starting to die tho, now that AMD arent putting out updated drivers for XP anymore(and nvidia will likely follow suit)

have you ever wondered why under vista and 7 dx9 is a separate install and is updated separately?

look into why and you will get an idea why dx9 just needs to be dropped from modern AAA titles, its beating a dead horse.....dx9 is antiquated and has been for years, the only people still championing it are people who cant/wont upgrade and those who know kitten all about the diffrances between dx versions.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/897925-DirectX-9-vs-DirectX-11

read that thread, dx11 boosts perf even in games with very old engines that just have it "tacked on" as some would say. also note the date......

this post in perticular is a good idea to read(very simplified but good info)
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...DirectX-11?p=11579898&viewfull=1#post11579898

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

16. AMDuser

AMDuser Guest

GPU:
    MSI R390 8GB
    Fixed it. It was ASUS GPU tweak.
    I thought i had deleted ASUS GPU tweak, but on the background is was still running. After a reinstall and an unistall the stutter was gone :)

17. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    kinda like trixx was for me last few days, I removed it(with revo) and reinstalled afterburner and bam, cards stopped overheating and stopped having issues in long runs of bc2....lol

18. Valagard

Valagard Guest

>Look at results of 13.2 Alpha
    >Very promising, told 13.2 beta is next week
    >Cut to today, a clear day past the wednesday window AMD always releases drivers on, its not out

So, AMD is operating via Valve time now?

19. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    catalyst creator tweeted it was pushed to next week.

20. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just been playing Devil may Cry 2013 with these 13.2 beta`s game runs freaking sweet and looks and plays freaking sweet,

radeon pro dynamic vsync 120fps ;) maxed out :D