nVidia / GeForce Stability (Quad SLI, Surround, OC)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dinistreniad, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Dinistreniad

Dinistreniad Guest

GPU:
    Asus Gefore 690
    Hi Guys,

Long time no post (apologies for the new account, can't seem to find the old account details).

I've recently completed a new build and have switched back to Nvidia after a few years with ATi cards.

Is it just me or are Nvidia drivers horribly unstable?

I'm running on Windows 8, but the 6970 cards I was using previously seemed bomb proof, by comparison the 690s are throwing the 'GeForce driver crashed but recovered' error a few times a day. It's fine under bench-marking and gaming, just regular desktop stuff and video editing.

Reminds me of the old 8800 under Vista days...

Many thanks for in anticipation of your replies,

edit: Oops, posted this in the wrong sub-forum.

Danielle x

YouTube clips of the build:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcV1zTO7b1s&list=UUoO306zA4hc4qOXMQfLd8LQ&index=2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFWtffYJrpA

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  2. Dinistreniad

Dinistreniad Guest

GPU:
    Asus Gefore 690
    Wow, what a response.... :)

So, I've been doing more testing today and I can absolutely hammer the system, over-voltage, besting the clock speeds and running grinder tests and it's absolutely fine. The trouble seems to only happen when I'm performing video rendering in either Avid or Premiere.

Suggestions anyone?

Ta lots x

3. Dinistreniad

Dinistreniad Guest

GPU:
    Asus Gefore 690
    So I just know there are loads of you waiting to find out what the problem is, I can tell, you're just aching to reply...

Well, turns out it was actually a corrupt MP3 file, or at least that was the catalyst.

Both editing suites monitor the media libraries I use and they were hanging when they hit a particular file and attempted to index it. Then, as soon as I tried to use an effect in either Adobe or Avid it would fall over.

I have no idea why this was causing the video card driver to crash, but removing the offending file from the library has made the system stable during video production.

It was just by fluke that I noticed the issue, as both indexers seemed to have stalled on the same file.

Now I just need to figure out why on roughly 1/3 of the times I power on the system it's only detecting a single 690. All three displays work, but the nVidia control panel only lists a single card.

4. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    that's good news you fixed it, funny how something so simple was causing that to happen, your build is uber i salute you :D

5. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    yea guru3d at much like it used to be i am afraid, i remember when every post was pretty much answered to, its a real shame :(

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You're using 310.90? It's prone to weird errors, go back to 310.70.

7. Dinistreniad

Dinistreniad Guest

GPU:
    Asus Gefore 690
    Yeah, it's odd. You could almost post about sneezing and still get 10 replies :)

I think it's true about a lot of the internet though, so many people just want to take information but not share or take the time to post themselves. It's cool though, it's the culture of a free society.

Thanks for the comments about my latest build, it's always nice to have great feedback. I'm a little disappointed with the Cosmos 2 though, Going to get a 900D I think and do a build based on Haswell and perhaps ATi 8000 (depends when they're all available).

8. Dinistreniad

Dinistreniad Guest

GPU:
    Asus Gefore 690
    Well, now there's a thing. I didn't notice any errors like this with .70 and I was using the same video editors with the same dodgy mp3 in the library.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What's wrong with the Cosmos 2?

Edit: I see this is in the nvidia video cards sub-forum. This place is inactive except during the build up to new cards.. post in the driver sub-forum next time!

10. Dinistreniad

Dinistreniad Guest

GPU:
    Asus Gefore 690
    Well nothing is wrong as such, it's a *gorgeous* case, it's just a few minor niggles which add up to some frustration. In a nutshell, even though it's a gigantic case, it's not very efficiently spaced.
    • The motherboard sits very high in the case leaving little room for a radiator.
    • The fan controller has a very low power limit (1 amp).
    • The tool-less 5 1/4 bays are weak but don't have ISO holes so need to be drilled for anything heavy like a res or pump.
    • Also, the bays use overly intrusive supports so again needs to be modified for double height units.

There is a lot of 'dead space' which while it's roomy, there are other areas where things could have been moved a few mm and made the space far more useful.

Don't get me wrong, a few minutes with a Dremel and it was all sorted, still though, this is all taken into consideration with the Corsair cases :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

11. Dinistreniad

Dinistreniad Guest

GPU:
    Asus Gefore 690
    I shall, I was hoping a nice mod would move it for me :)

12. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    I agree on this. Of course I can only go by what some of my work colleagues (avid gamers with more money to spend than sense) have stated. They have reported quite a few small, minor bugs but no show stoppers. However we want trouble free solutions so they reverted back to .70 as Lucidus states.

13. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    For me 310.90 runs smooth as butter, it's the best driver so far on my rig I game a fair amount.

14. Dinistreniad

Dinistreniad Guest

GPU:
    Asus Gefore 690
    Performance is not a problem to be fair, I've overclocked everything right up to the sky and the rig is a monster.

It's more annoying niggles and missing features, Windows 8 support feels like it's beta at best (though that said, I don't care for Windows 8 much overall lol).

15. |-c2c-|Rom

|-c2c-|Rom Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660TI OC
    well thats a very nice set up,continue your great job.

PS:I'm starting to get jealous :):):)

16. Dinistreniad

Dinistreniad Guest

GPU:
    Asus Gefore 690
    Thank you :) x

17. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    For the fan controller, I'd get the Gentle Typhoons as fan replacements. Some of the best fans out there, and each draws 0.083A, as it has very low friction. 12 fans are needed to reach that 1A at full fan speed of 1850RPM!

Excellent rig you have there, good luck with it.