Can't figure out the cause of hardware failure

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Blue Summer, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Blue Summer

Blue Summer Member Guru

Here's the background: I was just playing Borderlands 2 (which was on my SSD) when one monitor went grey and the other a darkish yellow, I could here the sounds still in the background but my whole computer was unresponsive. Had to force shutdown by holding the power off button, when I restarted my BIOS was unable to find my SSD at all. I was also unable to boot into my other harddrive.

I've tested my harddrives in another computer and while both are unable to be booted into I could still retrieve information off the second. (I fresh installed my SSD in the hopes I could replace it in my other computer and it'd work again). Unfortunatly not, as my other computer is still unable to boot into the SSD still.

The problem occurs when trying to boot into the SSD that on the screen "Windows is loading" or what ever as soon as the flag appears it very quickly blue screens and resets. This makes me think it's the SSD but if the SSD is working with no problem in another computer then it can't be that right? Also what would corrupt the operating system of an SSD and HDD? Maybe I screwed up the HDD install when I installed the SSD or something?

SSD: Crucial M4 256gb

CPU: Some sort of Sandybridge I5

A dell monitor and a really old fujitsu siemens one

Mobo: Asus P5KPL-AM socket 1155

RAM: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) XMS3 Memory DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz DIMM 240-pin CL11

So any help would be greatly appreciated as my comp is currently out of commission!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    that is not a socket 1155 mb, it appears to be a core 2 duo/quad m/b

3. Blue Summer

Blue Summer Member Guru

My apologies, that was my previous mobo. I can't find out at the moment which my motherboard is, I do know it's a gigabyte though and the disk I have with drivers says "Ultra Durable 3 mobo" on it, it's an intel 6 series utility DVD.

It looks VERY similar to: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3766#ov

In fact it could even be that one. Although I know mine most definitley was not an expensive one.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    post up some cpuz pics with the cpu, ram, and m/b tabs

5. Blue Summer

Blue Summer Member Guru

I can't get into the computer

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    can you enter the bios if you unplug your drives?

7. Blue Summer

Blue Summer Member Guru

Yeah, even with the drives in I can get to the BIOS it's windows loading screen that blue screens and restarts

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    while posting keep hitting f8? maybe f6 dont remember which and you should see some advanced options like last known configuration, try that, see if you can boot into safe mode maybe too. maybe its the ssd itself.

9. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Try the ssd in another sata port.

10. Blue Summer

Blue Summer Member Guru

I've tried last known config and safe mode as well, neither work.

Took a couple pictures, not sure they're any use though: http://imgur.com/a/aPoOw#0

edit: Just tried different SATA connectors and got the same result

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    maybe jump the cmos, if you dont understand this take the battery out (same result) put it back in after a few seconds. did you try a different sata port like chuck norris asked?
    in the bios is the operating system drive set as first boot device?

12. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Voltages and temps are good enough.

Did you change "PCH SATA Control Mode" at some point without format?

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    12v rail looks low, what power supply is it?

14. Blue Summer

Blue Summer Member Guru

Will try jump the cmos tomorrow, becoming a pain running back and forth unplugging and replugging the sata in as i'm on it now on another computer.

Nope Stewie. Starting to think it might just be a problem with my motherboard or PSU. The SSD has been working fine for 2-3 weeks then this. My PSU is some terrible stock one I got with the case but it's been running fine for long time now.

15. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Yeah well, either it was a minor psu failure that corrupted something, or not, i strongly recommend a good and reliable psu. That 12v is a bit off standards on bios, when stressed it will have the potential do do some damage.

16. Blue Summer

Blue Summer Member Guru

Yeah I guess with a GTX260, I5 cpu, 12gb of RAM, 2 SATA harddrives and a wireless card. that a psu I got free with a £50 case isn't really going to cut the mustard. I'll have a look around and try find a better one for a low cost. Thanks.

Also forgot to mention the PSU itself is probably a year or two old now

edit: On the plus side I guessed my motherboard right lol...

17. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I´m out of ideas right now to help you on the problem itself, but i´ll leave this: buy a reliable psu. I can never stress this enough. For your current system, a 500w psu from a reliable manufacturer like corsair, with 35/40 amps on the 12v rail.

If i remember something relevant to help you out i´ll be in touch.

18. Blue Summer

Blue Summer Member Guru

Thanks, appreciate it.

19. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Right, I built this and told him the PSU was **** at the time. He has a 2500k, upgraded the ram to 16gb in the last few weeks so could possibly be an issue there, I'm off work on Monday so can diagnose in person if needed.

20. Blue Summer

Blue Summer Member Guru

12gb of RAM now, bought 8, had 4 before.

Well don't know what else I can do to test so I think i'll have to just order a PSU and hope it's that lol.