Computer Restarts with 7870!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by stagml, Jan 1, 2013.

1. stagml

stagml Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 7870 Club 3d
    Hello everybody and a Happy New Year.

It seems that this new year comes with a problem with me and my PC. I bought Club 3D AMD Radeon 7870 and installed it on my ASUS P6T SE motherboard. I have i7 930 2.8Ghz CPU by Intel, Thermaltake Power Supplier 850W and 6GB RAM by Kingston. After 30-40 minutes playing Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 with maxed out graphics, the PC restarts without reason. I started monitoring the temperatures of the PC and my card obviously was going over 60 degrees C and I could not see the temperature at the time of the restart as I lose all the data instantly.

So, I figured that the graphics card was not adjusting the fan cooler in a higher level in order to cool down the chip as my previous MSI 4850 did. I also saw that ASUS P6T motherboard does not "see" the graphics cards officially through the board's default programs as the drivers stopped at the spectacular year of... 2010! The questions are:

1. What should I do to cool better the card ( I used an extra fan cooler but it did not work.)
    2. Is the graphic card or the mother board responsible for the automatic adjustment of the fan cooler? How can I make them cooperate?
    3. Manually I can adjust the fan in a percentage of use via Catalyst Control. Which percentage is preferable? What are the temperature limits of my card?

I wish to have this adjustment automatically, so propose a solution or please tell me what is the most suitable solution with my problem!

To mention: Dust condition is OK, other fans working perfect, latest drivers installed.

Greetings!
    Steve

2. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I'm not so sure it's your video card that's causing the proplem. 60c + is not too hot at all. I can't tell you what the problem is,but I'm betting it isn't your GPU. I'm sure someone here will help you identify the issue,and suggest a fix.

3. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    Get new cabinet with good front intake fans x2 and good rear fan with 90cfm rating. Make sure to use afterburnet to make fan speed adjust profile when running 3d games like 75-85% fan speed when in 3d load. The reason for restarting cpu is not gpu related it is software driver related make sure every software is updated and working properly. Check ur cpu and mobo temp also.

4. Genesis

Genesis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    Most likely you got a bad card. Happens quite a bit with the 7870.

5. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    I don't know about 7870 being bad. I've had good experiences with them.

My 7850 runs at 40°C after 2 hours of Far Cry 3. The card should be good at 60°C, but it does seem a little high. Saying that you're in the Mediterranean and I have no Idea what your cooling or chassis is like....

I'd start looking at software... graphics drivers particularly. Remove, re-install and check your fan speed values in CCC. Perhaps add a temporary fan and see if problem persists?

Good luck!

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    60c is fine, mine runs between 60-70c, AMD cards are usually fine way higher than that, like 100c+

Your issues are not the GPU

If you want the PC to halt on BSOD, goto Advanced System Settings > Startup and Recovery > Uncheck "Automatically Restart"

7. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    My 7970 can hit 81C gpu's are designed to operate at a max of 90c without fault. Now I also have a custon fan profile in msi afterburner and it only gets up to like 73c. I dont think the temperature of the gpu is a problem with your comp. If its the card might be some faulty component. Have you tried sticking your old card in and seeing if the same thing happens?

8. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    Custom fan profiles are really good. Use MSI AFTERBURNER with them.
    Also check AIDA64 for voltage ripples.. make sure they are under 5% during idle. Also stress test your Hardware with AIDA64's recent version or try MSI KOMBUSTER.