HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    same for me hope you guys keep reporting it as AMD claims in the changelog that it has been fixed which is obviously not the case.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. Pixelhant3r

Pixelhant3r Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7850 2GB OC
    I can confirm flickering with the new beta drivers too.

Now it seems it's occuring faster for me and many times i barely see it even if i'm trained at this point to catch this thing when it happens.

In other games it's more visible but it's definetely there but seems to appear and dissapear faster or a lot faster than before

One weird thing that i did notice though is that somehow when i tried to do print screens and paste them in photoshop some colors would turn black even if the color information was there (ie using the eyedropper tool would pick the right color but i was seeing black).

Also this happened.

- Open Catalyst Control Center

- Video -> Color

- Using scrollbar of the catalyst control center, moving it up and down bugs out the catalyst center and it blacks out.

3. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    I think it's not fixed but significantly reduced based on the card you have.
    Been noticing people with 79xx series cards reporting the issue more than people with 78xx cards this time round but none the less it is still there but to a very small margin this time in my case.

4. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    After 30 pages of replies, can we say this is a hardware problem and/or software problem?

I don't own a 7000 card but i'm curious about this.

5. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    In my opinion its a software problem.

1. Limited only to certain games
    2. Graphics cards usually passed torture tests even when show flicker in games
    3. All affected games (i tested on my system) are DirectX 9.0
    4. Flicker does not change upon hardware replacement, or frequency

The trouble may be with the driver and only driver, or with DirectX API, or with games which did not followed the programming standards as they should follow.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Agreed, driver issue, drivers aren't even out of Beta yet for 7xxx series cards

7. LBJM

LBJM Guest

GPU:
    latest green team
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  8. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    Few testing from this night.

So far I have used following methods to detect flicker

1. Skin flickering in Skyrim
    2. Save on "flickerspot" in Skyrim
    3. Save on "flickerspot" in Witcher 2
    4. Civilization 4

Catalyst 12.2:
    1. Present - lower rate
    2. Not flickering
    3. Not flickering
    4. Very Rare flickering

Catalyst 12.3-12.4
    1. Present
    2. not flickering
    3. not flickering
    4. Present

Catalyst 12.6
    1. Present
    2. Present
    2. Not Flickering
    4. Present

Catalyst 12.8 - Catalyst 12.10 - Catalyst 12.11 Beta 8
    1. Present
    2. Present
    3. Present
    4. Present

Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11
    1. Present
    2. Present
    3. Not present
    4. Rare flickering

Definitely driver issue.

9. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    I think there are two types of flickering. Some are strange artifacts flickering across the screen at times (black or gray), and other are z-fighting or entire screen flickering. I think Skyrim exhibits the latter...

10. Genesis

Genesis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    This feels like the 7870 BSOD thread all over again, people fanatically insisting that it is a driver issue instead of a hardware related one. I mean how can you say the drivers are still beta with the cards being released for almost a year now? That would be even worse?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they send out a huge amount of faulty chips that produce this flickering, so not everyone is affected.

11. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    I am surely talking about different kind of flicker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKrbsVQNgDE

the Z-fighting you mention was observed as well, but Its a secondary problem in my opinion.

I know it looks like a hardware related problem, but read again the list I posted previously and again:

1. Cards are not failing under stress tests.
    2. Issue is visible only in certain games, with certain drivers, using certain API (DirectX 9.0c)
    3. Issue is same regardless which HD 7000 card was used. I tried HD 7970 from gigabyte and sapphire and HD 7870 from gigabyte previously.

If you want to say that its a hardware issue, you have to explain why it appears and disappears with different drivers, or why it does not even appear in games such as Assassins Creed 1, or Deus EX: Human revolution.

12. Vella

Vella Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF3 7950 3GB
    I think I'm having similar issues and was ready to RMA until I found this thread. Purchased and installed a Gigabyte 7950 Windforce last week.

Now DX10/11 games seem to be unaffected - I've not had any issues with them. DX9 games on the other hand are a complete mess sometimes. Its random as to when it happens, lasting either a few seconds or its constant until I exit the game. Tried 3DMark and Heaven and they run without fault. I've had no BSOD or lockups. Currently running with 12.11 beta 11 but I've also tried 12.10 and 12.8 and they still have the same problem. Not had any issues on the desktop or whilst booting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWe9_Kmu0fE shows the problem in Torchlight 2 which was fine until I started to play in a window. About 1 minute into the video you'll see more flickering.

I've also had issues with Euro Truck Sim 2 and World of Tanks, WoT being the worst as shown in these pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  13. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Turns out the AMD code monkeys have been coming to grasps with the memory management of Graphics Core-Next (GCN) architecture which is fundamentally different to the old Very Long Instruction Word (VLIW) architecture.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178129

So this is a big step for them even though GCN is already used in their seldom mentioned FireGL series.

You can only expect the performance and stability of the HD7xxx series to get better as the HD8xxx series coming up next year second quarter is also going to be GCN based.

14. zarker99

zarker99 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire hd 7870 Ghz
    That's strange. I've found the beta11 drivers have more or less cleared up the artifacts on my system, but introduced a strange low-FPs situation instead.

Am I the only one to have found the beta11 drivers going a good way to clearing-up flicker/artifacts?

15. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    No, the Beta 11's helped me out a lot also. I do still get some tho, mostly in World of Tanks...

16. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I'm getting the 7970 today,, What the problem can be ?

Maybe profiles ?
    Install Directx again ?
    Revert all settings to Default or try to change them, Off on or anything with special settings, leave High Quality

17. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    The BETAs have definitely resolved a lot of the artifact/corruption seen yet there have been more reports from 79xx owners than the 78xx owners this time round.

Also stablized performance for me in Need for Speed Most Wanted and Saints Row the Third.

18. nzkro

nzkro Guest

GPU:
    7870 Direct CU II
    Im new in this forum and i dont know what to do. The flickering is a hardware problem? Should i return my video card? I have run memtestcl and i get 42 errors. Sorry for my english

19. fasor

fasor Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GForce 750Ti 2Gb
    Flickering is 99%-possibility software problem and 1% of possibility for hardware CGN-architecture problem =)

memtestCL have tons of errors with HD7000 series and i think there is some connection between our topic problem and memtestCL problem with HD7000

as for returning your video card - if you can return it and take something like nvidia 660Ti, then it will be the best option. AMD released HD7000 more than a year ago and this problem is still unsolved. I'm checking for new drivers every day and i don't like it =)

always hated nvidia for it's dirty marketing, but now i understand that dirty marketing is not the worst thing about videocards =)

sorry for my english too =)

PS

to continue the discussion of flickering i can tell that i tested 7870 and 7950 and they had absolutely the same problems under the same conditions, so i don't think that 7800 is less flickering than 7900.

also gigabyte released new BIOSes for all HD7000 series in the end of December and there are no changes about our problem with new bios.

also installed RC of DirectX 11.1 for Windows 7 and (that was predictible =) ) still flickers

waiting for new drivers...

20. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    no there is not. The Memtest code already has been fixed but has not been compiled - the issue is not releated and a problem of memtest which is already. 3 years without a official update. But i'd agree that it is 99% a software issue since it only seem to be present on dx9c and not dx9a or b. Dx10,11 and Open GL also seem to be free of this issue.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013