Samsung Galaxy S3 Thread

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sdamaged99, May 7, 2012.

1. Sethos

Sethos Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Sea Hawk X
    Might be a silly question but the phone has this constant beep when it's fully charged, which has woken me up some nights ... Is it possible to disable this 'feature' without putting the phone on silent or anything like that?

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
  3. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    any one know stok rom with batery save?? for s3 int

4. Pyro the Dragun

Pyro the Dragun Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M

5. Titan29

Titan29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 | 7900XTX
    I have the North American model (SGH-I747) and updated to JB about a week ago. UI seems to be much more smooth now. However, there is one big issue.

The default navigation app no longer has spoken street/road/highway names, and the voice just says turn left, turn right. Something is seriously wrong here as previously I used to get detailed navigation instructions.

So far I have tried uninstalling updates for the google maps app but the issue is still there. Any one else noticing the same and know how to resolve this?

And yes the voice has also been changed from male (british accent) to female (american accent). :(

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    18th December and T-Mobile UK have still not released Jellybean v4.1.1 for the locked S3s yet the Note II comes with Jellybean installed as does the 4G version of the S3. Despite numerous emails to support they've either ignored me or, when I have had a response, say something totally different each time. They really use utterly useless and I will not be renewing my contract with them. I noticed that Vodaphone are releasing v4.1.2 updates for their S3s and we UK owners are still waiting for the first Jellybean update!

7. Pyro the Dragun

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M
    Can you not flash a custom JellyBean ROM yourself?

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Why a custom one? They could flash the proper Samsung one if they wanted.

9. Pyro the Dragun

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M
    Very true. I misspoke, using "custom" as catch-all for any leaked, official, or tweaked ROM.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My phone is locked to T-Mobile UK and only four months into a 2-year contract so I do not want to install custom ROMs at this point. Looks like the UK has received a spate of Jellybean updates for the GT-I9300, including one from Vodaphone, so maybe, just maybe, T-Mobile's will follow shortly?

11. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    What about the generic UK official samsung rom instead of a custom one.?

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    LOL first 5 mins I had my SII home I had rooted it and installed DarkSithv4 ICS. Im on Tmobile US contract and 3 months in. Wish I had a SIII.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I may try it using Odin3 v3.07 as I've found the official v4.1.2 ROM for the UK, released last week. I must admit I'm a little apprehensive about doing it but it looks straight forward enough to do.

14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Just bought a Note II today off contract (keeping that unlimited data yarr) already got it rooted with the new CPU exploit, which also came with a patch to block other exploits.

Damn nice big phone, now I need a case.

15. Pyro the Dragun

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M
    Using Odin is the easy method and should be quite safe. I do believe it is possible "unbrick" your phone using Odin if by some small chance something goes wrong. So don't be too worried.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I did the update last night so my S3 now has Jellybean v4.1.2 installed. Odin3 took 6 mins 10 seconds to do the update and it was actually easier to do then using Kies to be honest. Love the slicker feel of the interface, apps open noticeably quicker and I noticed my RAM has had a boost from 780 MB to 832 MB (is that because the stock ROM has no bloatware?). There's the odd moment of 'stickiness' on rare occasions otherwise the phone definitely feels more responsive. I didn't have to use developer mode or root the phone or anything like that; it was so simple to do. Very pleased with Jellybean plus Flash-based content still seems to work (I thought Flash was disabled in Jellybean?).

I'd definitely recommend updating this way rather than waiting for the carrier to release their versions, particularly as it means you can use future updates as soon as Samsung releases them rather than waiting for a version stuffed with bloatware. :D

17. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I always use odin to update my dad's S2, KIES sucks and said his generic UK S2 didn't support updates and was stuck on 2.3.3 even when ICS was out so do them all manually. Flash works if you upgrade to JB.

18. Badelhas

Badelhas Active Member

GPU:
    Gtx670
    Thank you both for the info!
    Does using Odin mean we will loose all data or is it like the kies and ota update where everything remains the same ?

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ Badelhas - I did not lose any settings, data or apps when I used Odin3 to update my S3 to Jellybean v4.1.2 but, as with any device, it is always a good idea to do a backup of any important data before you do any firmware update.

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Do you loose flash support with latest JB support.