Droid DNA or wait for January announcements?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by shoja, Dec 18, 2012.

1. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I am with Verizon and my contract got over like 2 weeks ago. I am wondering if I should buy the HTC Droid DNA or wait for Samsung and Blackberry to announce their new phones? I have a half working smartphone so I will be fine for another few months, but I have been using it for the past 2 years now and am getting tired of it lol

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Get the SIII or Note II

3. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Depends on what you're after, the Droid DNA is the best HTC device around at the moment, but if you don't particularly want / need HTC Sense I would recommend waiting to see what the March / April 2013 line up is like.
    The SGS4 and HTC M7 are both due out around then and probably every other manufacturer will have their new flagship model out around the same time

4. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I decided to wait for January announcements. I don't like the Galaxy phones for their cheap plastics.

5. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Cheap plastics? The Galaxy phones cost no less to make than the iPhone or HTCs phones etc etc. Also they use Polycarbonate now.

I wonder how many people who have had the phone in their hands think it feels cheap. I've owned the Galaxy S2 and it felt great to me, thin, light and Plastic is so durable compared to Glass and metal. I never had to have a cover on my GS2 because the material is durable, however most people cover their iPhones and what not in cheap bulky plastics.... I don't see the logic.

Removable battery, Micro SD and durable plastic is why I do buy these phones.

Next you'll be an OLED hater or a Pentile hater when tbh OLED is superior and if you look at the GS3 screen I dare you to spot the pixels in normal use and not under a stupid microscope like all the reviews seem to do.

Oh this phone has 440PPI and this has 300......... shut up, can you notice a difference with the naked eye? no.

6. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Half of the stuff I don't even know what you are talking about and then you go from being polite to an ******* fanboy. Get lost, troll

Oh and if you actually read text on a phone then you would realize that PPI does matter.

7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    1- Polycarbonate is more or less plastic.
    2- pentile makes a huge difference. Go hold a Motorola Atrix 4g or another QHD phone that has a pentile display and tell me it doesnt suck. If it sucks on QHD, then why would it suck any less at 720p?

8. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i've got both the galaxy note 1 and note 2.

note 1 has pentile, note 2 has rgb. there is a big ass difference between the two. sure, the note 2 has 10% less pixels, but because of the rgb matrix, there is 30% increase in subpixels. the difference is actually quite noticeable in terms of the sharpness of images, and more importantly, the sharpness of text on web pages. this was a noticeable difference for me that didnt need a microscope to identify.

as for OLED being superior, that has always been a subjective argument. i'd still consider OLED to be beta tech. whilst the colours are more vivid, thats merely because theyre oversaturated. i also dont like having to turn the brightness down just to avoid LED burn in.

plus, OLED arent particularly good at saving batteries if you like to browse web pages. most web pages use white backgrounds, and when an LED screen is made to display white, it consumes over twice as much power as an equivalent size and resolution LCD. to save power on an LED display, you need to have black backgrounds for pretty much everything.

anyway, back to main topic.

@OP - i would say wait till 2013 if you can. samsung will have the exynos 5 series chipsets (possible big little setups), nvidia's tegra4 will be launching with quad arm cortex a15 cores and a GPU that will be running 72 unified cores (supposed to be based on kepler architecture), which will pack one hell of a punch. sure, that kind of power might be considered somewhat excessive, but at least it will make the device fairly futureproof, and you'll be happy knowing that your phone will be able to handle whatever you throw at it without even the slightest bit of lag =)

9. enessel

enessel Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 280
    The real issue is that HTC forgets about their phones fast.