PNY GTX 560 Ti Fan Loudly Speeds Up Then Quickly Slows Down

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ViolentReaper, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ViolentReaper

ViolentReaper Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia PNY GTX 560 Ti
    I have a PNY GTX 560 Ti which I bought back in September that has been overall satisfying my gaming performance needs; however, there has been one consistent issue with this GPU which pertains to sudden, loud shifts in fan speeds that occur whenever I am in a game for at least a few minutes (enough so that the GPU has exceeded around 70 C temps). Whether overclocked or not, the fan on this card follows a certain patterned cycle, whereby it revs up for several seconds and becomes quite loud, and then suddenly slows/quiets. About 15-20 seconds after this speedup/slowdown procedure, the fan repeats the same exact fan speed cycle.

Although the card has not failed me in any way via the likes of in-game artifacts or excessively hot temperatures (I keep tabs on the temps - it has never breached 85 C), I find this whole thing annoying and distracting.

Would any of you recommend that I change the default fan speed profile settings in my nvidia control panel? I'm assuming the GPU fan jumps from 40%, which is the default speed, to 100 % in a matter of seconds.

Advice on this would be lovely.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Are you sure that you do not have accidentally set any manual fan speed control curves in Afterburner/Precision X for example?

3. ViolentReaper

GPU:
    Nvidia PNY GTX 560 Ti
    I should note that I am currently using the latest geforce whql 310.70 drivers, and have used a wide variety of different Geforce drivers since owning this card. Changing the drivers makes no difference to this matter.

4. ViolentReaper

GPU:
    Nvidia PNY GTX 560 Ti
    I don't have Afterburner or Precision X, all I use is the overclocking feature on the Nvidia control panel. Fan control is set to automatic, not manual.