Drivers... and smooth framerate.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Kaleid, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    That said, either AMD is cheating or have a serious driver problem.

3. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    Yup smooth FPS is a key feature for smooth game-play..

4. Real_GM

Real_GM Guest

GPU:
    Visiontek 290 X3
    Yeah. I agree. After I installed 12.11, my Trinity Dual Graphics set up was really choppy but yield the same average fps, at least in sleeping dogs.

Downgraded back to 12.10 and it improves a bit, but the problem still surface at times.

5. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G
    I have a feeling this problem of high frame latencies is AMDs (ATIs) curse for a long time, yet till now noone seemed to be able to analyze this problem..

Or was it well known fact among certain people and were they deliberately concealing it?

Conspiracy theorists can initiate the long-term process of building their silicone castles from guesses and presumptions and become a neverending source of amusement for others, but for me as a 4-year ATI/AMD card user there is mainly one imortant thing to be aware of : If your eyes' sensitivïty is above average and you want to really fully enjoy your money spent on HW/SW to play videogames, you should definitely consider buying a card from Nvidia.

Maybe 1 other thing : All the comparative articles and discussions' flamewars about whose card has the highest (average of) fps etc. are quite pointless because of this higher level of overall product polish and hw-sw optimalizations Nvidia has to offer gaming-wise.

6. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Hmm, smooth framerate is nice, but I'd rather have higher smoother framerate, then a locked, lower smooth framerate (if that makes sense). In other words, I'd rather have a consistent 60 FPS than 30 FPS, even though 30 FPS is easier to maintain on more hardware and game engines...

7. faptastic

faptastic Guest

GPU:
    PCS+ 7870 Myst@1235/6400
    Just did what this guy did:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2289641

And my HD 7850 is just as smooth if not smoother than my GTX 460 in the two games I tested.

8. V1tol

V1tol Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Just install RP and it will be smooth as butter.

9. zimpdagreene

zimpdagreene Member

GPU:
    (3x 6950 Crossfire)& 5870
    Well AMD needs to do more work on there drivers. Come out with some good stuff. Like maybe a fix to crossfire or trifire setups. I mean they develop and make the cards. So fix it with a real fix.Not the one that give 5% or 50%. SOMETHING BIG:3eyes:

10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    smoothness is not a need neither it's a necessary rule for amd's drivers target...

so...you can't even prove that, pass on...you keep it up or wait for the miracle driver or switch to green, you can't ask a solution for a non-confirmed problem.

11. zimpdagreene

zimpdagreene Member

GPU:
  12. hulawafu77

hulawafu77 Guest

GPU:
    7970M
    Do you suppose this has anything to do with flip queue size or maybe AMD's triple buffering through CCC actually doesn't work? AMD claims triple buffering is automatic with vSync, but do you suppose that actually doesn't work?

13. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Radeon pro? What settings?

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Yes yes, keep blowing the problem out of proportion. And throwing around theories.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Now I wonder what causes "frame time" spike to 500ms they showed there. It's 1/2 of second.
    I do not get such problems. I have HPET enabled in BIOS. Tested my system for drivers which may cause High DPC latency and I do not have them.

I honestly do not think they did any testing of that system to find which part of it causes it to stop responding for that long.
    Maybe it's network adapter, you never know till you do proper testing.
    They apparently did not since they just made quick article about random stuff.

If it takes 0.5 second to render next frame I would like to not only see that VGA was not doing anything in that time, but even see that it was VGA driver that caused this delay.
    I can make one hour long video 120fps @120Hz, record it and there will never be such spike in "frame time".

Then Skyrim is pretty fine game using pretty old "atimgpud.dll" for xfire stuff. I wonder what would be difference on that particular system if those guys used Radeon Pro to mask that HD7950 as GTX 660 and therefore got rid of that atimgpud.dll.

There is another thing... Skyrim is not really engine which can be used to measure anything seriously.
    With all those bugs when you run it at high fps. Catapulting animals, objects which "flicker" & sound which goes away and back as they flicker.

16. faptastic

faptastic Guest

GPU:
    PCS+ 7870 Myst@1235/6400
    It was all fine and dandy with Techreport in September with Catalyst 12.7 beta:

http://techreport.com/r.x/geforce-gtx-660/skyrim-99th.gif

http://techreport.com/r.x/geforce-gtx-660/skyrim-beyond-50.gif

Anyway I can't replicate the smoothness issue that Techreport is advocating with a 7950 on my 7850 in Skyrim at least.

Here's how I tested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj79q5oLm7o

i5 760@4GHz | P55A-UD3 | Corsair XMS3 2x4GB 1600C9 | HD7850 2GB@1100/5400 | Skyrim is installed on a 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Win 7 64bit Pro, Cat 12.11 b11 | Vanilla Skyrim with high res textures, Max Settings, 2xMSAA, SMAA@Ultra, 16xAF

Used RadeonPro to Force settings.

vsync off, triple buffering off, flip queue size = default
    http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/9799/novsync.jpg

vsync off, no triple buffering off, flip queue size = 1
    http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5136/novsyncflipqueuesize1.jpg

vsync on, triple buffering on, flip queue size = 1
    http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/296/vsynctriplebufferingfli.jpg

Getting the huge spikes at similar intervals which I assuming is caused by other factors(game engine streaming in new data/area/textures etc...), not the card, so I was fairly accurate with my runs.

Here's the save file if anyone wishes to try and replicate my runs, I hit bench key and run right after the guy finishes speaking:

http://www.mediafire.com/?kod300m7v86saul

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  17. zimpdagreene

zimpdagreene Member

GPU:
    I checked out what you put up and maybe its like some have said as in its software related and the fix is really software. So maybe its in the device drivers them selves. I guess another question is has there been a modded device driver? Not just putting one driver on another type of card or changing files ,but a completely modded driver. (windows driver)

:pc1:

18. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    So an HD7970 it's worst than a gtx670?
    can please someone explain better this driver problem?
    Really confused

19. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    You have to view things more positive, after all AMD went out of their way to provide us with the flickering to distract from the jerkiness :grin:

20. M4xw0lf

M4xw0lf Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6970
    Possibly not. The test was performed with a HD7950 Boost only, Boost and Powertune could be to blame for occasional micro-stuttering. It's also not clear if it is a driver problem at all.