Router Default Gateway Changed Itself?

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by TekkMarine, Dec 1, 2012.

1. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Hi

I'm using a Netgear router that I recently had to reset because the default gateway was in-accessible. I had to access the default gateway in order to see what was going on, why isn't the internet working.

So I was able to access it one day and then the next it all of a sudden it was un-accessible. I ran ipconfig and there was no default address to the router.

My question
    How could the router do that to itself? I smoke a fair amount of marijuana so I'm kinda paranoid over how this could happen. I even told my dad I would smash his face in if he is ****ing with my mind.

If someone could enlighten me that would be great, thanks!. :3eyes:

- Tekk

2. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    ahhh yes iv seen this before your router is alive and will kill you in your sleep

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Yep, seen those bad boys too, BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID....

---
    In other news, you wonder why resetting the router = can't access the router any more ?

Maybe it's IP has defaulted back? Perhaps? Maybe?

What is that routers default IP ? Try that one.

If you have a static IP set on your PC, change it to DHCP before trying the routers default IP

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sounds like your router just shlt itself.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Hate when they do that :D

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Yeah...me too.
    I had to replace a Netgear router for someone recently because every time the phone rang the Internet would disconnect.

Found out it was a known issue with those routers..

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

My gf's family has a similar problem, they have a wireless house phone, whenever someone answers that, the wireless laptop loses connection

2.4GHz vs 2.4GHz and the house phone wins

Told them to buy a new house phone on the higher frequency as the laptop is 2.4GHz only but they just keep whining about it instead.... can't fix stupid

8. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    All Netgear routers have a default gateway of 192.168.0.1. The only way to change it is to know my password and login for accessing the router. Not to mention that you would still need to be hardwired to the router itself to be able to do that.

Aaand NO.. I'm not wondering why "resetting the router = can't access the router any more?" I obviously had to reset the router to be able to access it again. :puke2:

That's interesting, my current router is only supported by BT connections as a netgear router. I switched provider to save a little money. However I thought it wouldn't really be a problem, anyways and it isn't other than what happened this morning.

How can a router only be dedicated to a certain service provider? That makes no sense! I didn't even get it for free! I had to buy it!

I decided I'm doing a total security sweep next weekend. This will be long and tiresome! Ill also configure the router to only broadcast to the mac addresses I allow.

- Tekk

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Or factory resetting it with either the reset button or 30/30/30, then setting it back up to a new IP.....

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Actually I could be mistaken...might have been Netcomm I was thinking of.

Not sure what you mean about your router being dedicated to BT - can u be more specific?

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

MAC address filtering doesn't stop determined / experienced hackers, nor does disabling SSID broadcasting

MAC address spoofing is easy enough for a 5 year old to do

Best wireless defence is WPA2/AES

Anyone who knows how to beat WPA2/AES will not be slowed down by MAC address filtering or SSID hiding

And anyone who doesn't know the above, will not know how to beat WPA2 either

One tip though, if you have WPS enabled, WPA2 will not help you at all

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    WPA2 is not something you just get trough via bruteforce.
    Even the best multi gpu setup will take quite a few years to get trough if you set it up after best practice.

13. tktk104

tktk104 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 Ti-DC2O-2GD5
    I'm moving next week and must get a new router. I wish I could teleport you guys to my place to set up my internet connections!

That reminds me.... what router would be best to purchase for a 30 mbps cable connection? The company prefers Motorola to Netgear. Thanks!