Far Cry 3 massive micro stutter when under 60 frames?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NudeDragon, Dec 6, 2012.

1. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    Even capping the frame rate to 60 doesn't completely get rid of all the stuttering for me. Even when i'm locked at 60 frames they'll be times when I get micro stutter. As others above have mentioned anything below 60 feels like a POS with v-sync on and for me with V-sync off this game is unplayable. I have shadows knocked down to high. msaa turned off and post fx on high.

2. AmD6000

AmD6000 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 960
    the only way to fix this is to lock the game on 30fps so you need to set Vsync=2

3. valentyn0

valentyn0 Member Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800 XT
    Or run it window mode, the stutter is gone.

4. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb

that radeonpro changelog sounds pretty exciting, looks like they have pinpointed the source of the stuttering problems in so many games, will it work on nvidia cards too?

I downloaded D3Dantilag, i'm going to check it out, thanks for the info.

update: tested D3Dantilag in Darksiders 2, it totally eliminated all the stuttering, amazing app, too bad it doesnt work with all games , if only they could make a DX11 version! Thanks Jakshi!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

5. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I get a locked 60fps at all times but it's a frame skipping nightmare. I've tried every form of vsync and capping the frame rate to 60 using various methods and nothing gets the game running smooth. Even capping it to 30fps results in occasional skipping. I never trusted Ubi with this and to be honest would rather play the bloody console version, tearing and all.

6. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    Thats weird guys, I never noticed any stutter even at lower framerates than you are talking about. I think alot of it has to do with io performance, I turn off things like indexing and system protection and use a raid 0 setup. Some games do have the vsync issue, but I usually just turn vsync off if needed. Oh and im currently using a 460 with current beta drivers.

7. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    You're welcome! You should try it with the witcher 2. The game has also horrid stutter with vsync and bad input lag. I set RenderAheadLimit=2 for this game as it's very cpu bound. But remember, this is a dxwrapper, any other inject methods, like D3DOverrider or injectedPPAA won't work.

It seems to me the games aren't tested at all with vsync. I can't think of any other explanation why so many of them have this issue.

It's even more evident if you play it with a controller. For me the double buffer option ingame, which locks the game to 30fps, does give me perfect frametimes as you'd expect, but I use afterburner to lock the fps to 60. This also eliminates the frameskip at refreshrate=fps but not with anything below.
    The only game where even locking the frames to 60fps and maintaining them does not help is hitman absolution. Turn all the settings down, plug in a controller, as it's more evident with it, pan the camera around and get annoyed by stuttering.

8. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    I love this kind of posts....that's the reason why nobody will take you seriously these days. What if I told you I have a SSD raid would you then close this thread and never come back? Please.

Edit: sry for double post, I was sure I clicked edit.

9. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Ingame "GPU max buffered Frames -1" fixed it for me.

I am launching the game from the DX11 shortcut. Also I have Vysnc off ingame. Adaptive Vsync on in Nvidia control panel. Some people have had to use 2 to 3 max buffered frames. When all fails it seems the way to fix it is running in Dx9.

10. NudeDragon

NudeDragon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680 WF x3
    Oh wow just woke up and saw all these responses.

Just wanted to post and say I didn't abandon my thread lol. Thanks so much going to read through them now!

11. NudeDragon

NudeDragon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680 WF x3
    Yes this is my exact problem. And you are absolutely right I too have noticed more and more games having this issue and all the ones you mention I have that problem.

It is very annoying and really turning me away from PC gaming if this is something I have to suffer through. The fact that I can't even properly play my game despite it running at 55 frames is ridiculous imo. Why should a console game that's running at 25-30 feel smoother than my 55.

I have the pre-rendered frames set to 1 but it's still noticeable for me and really irritating.

But I can't play it at 30 fps unless I use a controller which I prefer not to. 30 frames in an FPS using a mouse is incredibly sluggish and floaty.

Tried it it's even worse.

If I do adaptive V-Sync it seems really noticeable in this game when V-Sync comes on and off. I get this quick pause when I'm below 60 and again when I hit 60.

Guess I'll try it on DX9 =/ Spend 500 bucks on a DX11 video card and have to use DX9 =P

It just amazes me that so many games do this. What is wrong with game developers? Do they not notice this during development? How could they not.

Or for that matter benchmarks. This is an obvious problem and whether it's Guru3D, Hardocp, etc. none of them mention this.

Devs won't care unless it becomes a major headache for them with big tech sites calling them out on it.

I love PC gaming and I understand it requires some tweaking but this is getting out of control imo. There is no quality control anymore.

12. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    Seems to be happening more and more too unfortunately. Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution and now Far Cry 3. I had the same issues when I use to be with AMD too.

13. NudeDragon

NudeDragon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 680 WF x3
    Hey guys I made a thread on this over at their forums.

If some of you can take the time and add some responses maybe we can get some attention and at least get it fixed for this game.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...tering-when-under-60fps?p=8772004#post8772004

Would really appreciate it. Just log in with your UPlay account.

PS: It's just really amazing how some devs know how to program their games for the PC and others just don't.

Playing Planetside 2 and during big battles it can go into the 40's and it's still incredibly smooth as 40 frames should be. No skipping, nothing.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  14. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    first thing I noticed with this game is frame skipping / stutter under 60fps.
    with Vsync 1 frame, setting GPU max frames to "OFF" in game completely solved it for me,
    otherwise I wouldn't even bother playing through the tutorial, because frame skipping = game skipping AFAIC

15. Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel Guest

GPU:
    TITAN Xp
    Turning down Post FX to medium , shadows to high, framelimit = 60 (msi afterburner), GPU render = 4, vsync =1 did the trick for me (dx11). Crazy game, much better than I expected.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Right here is my new settings for solid 60fps

DISABLE CROSSFIRE!!!

Vsync OFF (use D3DOverrider to force both triple buffering and vsync)
    GPU Buffer = 1
    Alpha foliage = Standard
    MSAA = OFF (or 2x to get rid of some of the jaggies)

Video Quality settings:
    Chose Optimal Preset!! For a mixture of High and Very High.

In the end the game looks good/decent and runs beautifully at 60fps only seen it drop to 55fps once when zooming in with camera to scope out area and this was without D3DOverrider. With it its solid 60fps with very occasional drop to 59.

Funny, the game does not even detect two graphics cards as with both card enabled I set Optimal and its still sets the same as with 1 card where most games I have played it will see the extra card and the optimal preset will change to compensate for the extra horse power.

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yep same issue here, even at 60+ i get a constant stuttering as if the game is skipping a couple of frames.

Issue persists with -
    SLI off/On
    Vsync set through control panel or inspector with in-game vsync off.
    Vsync set to off in CP and in-game set to V1.
    The above but with D3Doverider.
    The above but with GPU RH set to 1,2,3,4,5.
    All three Sli Bits tried.
    Patch 1.02

Edit: I've tried the above in DX9 and DX11 from low to ultra/max.

Engine issue imo, so am just gonna wait till it's patched out or a user solution is provided.

18. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    What is this stuttering? i must be lucky never had it in any game:3eyes:

19. SkySi

SkySi Guest

GPU:
    Saphire HD7850 OC 2GB
    So glad to find this thread! Exactly the same issue here. No ingame settings fix it. It occurs with everything set to low including in DX9. And I've tried every setting combination in video settings. The only way to make it smooth is with a frame rate limiter and not letting FPS drop below 60. And even then I see occasional stutter.

I hate that I have to have 60FPS as a minimum for a playable game! V-sync off doesn't seem to help and gives me unbearable screen tearing.

I've had the same thing in several other games but it only seems to effect open world games.

Also slightly off topic but the frame rate drop when looking out to sea from up high is insane! Even on low settings it can drop as low as 15FPS! Makes it impossible to maintain 60FPS all the time.

20. SkySi

SkySi Guest

GPU:
    Saphire HD7850 OC 2GB