HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    CoD MW2, same black lines. Well, O.K... Is this bug they mention the one we want? I don't understand otherwise, seriously... It hasn't been fixed.

Is this truly the time that we have to jump ship? I'm tired of this, literally.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  2. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    Black lines where? Can you post a screen shot and your settings?

3. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    Catalyst 12.11 Beta 11
    No Caps
    Default driver settings

Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition:
    A) Random black flicker in Flotsam forest: Not Observed
    B) Repeatable flicker visible on Witcher's hair: PRESENT
    (note: also visible on other video cards, may not be connected with this issue)

Skyrim:
    A) Random black flicker all around the land: Not Observed
    B) Repeatable flicker visible on human character skin during close up/fading: PRESENT
    (this one visible only with HD7000 cards)

Civilization 4:
    A) Random black flicker all around: PRESENT, but reduced

Definitely its better...

4. acereborn

acereborn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    Still flickers in skyrim with 12.11 b11 no Caps :((( but no flicker in witcher 2 so far.

5. acereborn

acereborn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    Still flickers in Dead Island also.... Not good.

6. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Still flickers. Thanks for nothing AMD. DX11 games still work great. I really start to hate AMD.

7. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    Ok. some longer testing of games:

Skyrim
    I stand on the center of the waterfall in Ivarstead and wait for few minutes. The game flickered after 5-10 minutes after, but only ONCE.

Civilization 4
    This game shows big persistence of this bug. It took more than 30 minutes of frantic gameplay, but then it showed up.

Witcher 2
    Still flawless after many attempts.

I am starting to believe that even when those flickers look exactly same they have different source in DX9. In means like - once failed texturing, once failed Anisotropy...

8. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I only had the artifacting on Windows 7; Windows 8 was fine though. Can't remember what version of the 12.11 beta I was using though, but I used the same driver on 7 and 8.

9. Tamlin

Tamlin Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 Windforce
    If any of you have accounts on overclock forum, here's from the AMD rep there:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1318756/amd-12-11-beta-drivers/1030#post_18748861

I don't have flicker anymore in the games I saw it earlier, so unless I see it again, I don't have an issue anymore. But, for those that still have, it seems that AMD is working actively to fix this. :)

10. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    I'm guessing the latest drivers are meant to be run with CAP2 which seems to correct most of the flicker/corruption observed in some DX9 games.

I'm only testing Skyrim and Tribes: Ascend though.

11. acereborn

acereborn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    CAP2 did not help. Tested with and without it. Here is a recording from Skyrim.
    http://youtu.be/eB413KPb608
    My first test was on a rainy day and it did not flicker. Second test was on a clear day/night and I got the flicker pretty fast.

12. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    well i ain't gonna touch win 8 at all, i'm on the anti win 8 camp.

13. derupter

derupter New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950
    I did a few tests with this 12.11 b11 and i saw that they did what i expected.
    They are back to the old code (pre 12.7b driver) in fact now artifacts are rare or very rare like 12.1-12.6 series but not fixed.
    Knowing that they would do something like that, I have prepared tests that show artifacts with 12.4 without waiting hours and with this 12.11 b11 artifacts are there. Performance was also decreased to the level of older driver set or little better (in fact artifacts are slightly higher)
    Crysis 2 DX9 mode map downtown:
    12.4 78 FPS (1 flicker 5 min)
    12.11 b8 84 FPS (15 flicher 1 min)
    12.11 b11 80 FPS (2 flicker 5 min)
    Those who have begun to see artifacts with the latest drivers will be happy, but for people like me or ClockClocker who have seen and continue to see rare artifacts in specific game like Dragon Age Origins even with older drivers, nothing changes.
    They probably use a trick to boost the performance that causes these artifacts, in fact 12.7b have increased performance and artifacts and 12.11b a little more.
    12.1 is the worst in performance but the best in general for artifacts, even games with the same frames show increases of artifacts with drivers optimized for performance. (this is in general, some games work better with 12.7b and up series)
    However, these drivers are the best because they combine rare artifacts to specific performance optimizations of the new series.
    I saw now, on overclock.net forum, other people that continue to see artifacts.

14. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    i think there are hardly people who have NO MORE flickering with this driver. It seems like everyone who was affected by the flickering is still affected in some games.
    Some games may be flickerfree now but it's like i expected it: there wont be a "ultimative fix" and all the problems will be gone.

The only thing i can say is shame on AMD. No one can tell me that smth huge like this was not seen when testing the cards before the release. I mean how many PCs do they use for testing? 1? 2?
    I tested so many cards on my own and my friends computer because i RMAd the damn thing so often that my whole circle of friends is already annoyed by me.
    And i could reproduce it even on the crappiest 10 year old computer of my girlfriend. I doubt AMD did not know that this issue exists.
    Btw it was AMD who told me that it's a DX9 issue only. So they must know how this issue looks like so i wonder again how they can claim that it is fixed if it is not.
    I start getting the feeling that the issue wasn't thouched at all.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  15. Epic0098

Epic0098 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III
    As I posted yesterday, I was still getting flickers in Skyrim (they were rare but still there). I even installed the latest CAP to no luck. But after reading numerous reports around the web that the flickering has disappeared for most people, I wasn't going to give up and wait for more drivers to be released.

So I did some more testing with the settings and such today. Made a lot of changes to my overclocking and mods for the game. However, one of the first mods I got was SkyrimEnhanced Sharders Mod which used ENB Series .102. I had manually installed it back in Dec last year. So I deleted those mod files and tested the game again. To my amazement the flickering and flashing had stopped. I tested the game just outside of Whiterun where I use to get the most insane amount of flickering. I waited for 10 mins. with no flicker.

After that, just for kicks i put the same files back into the directory just to make sure. After 10 mins of standing in the same spot I saw around 4-5 textures flicker again, but less than the first time around.

To conclude, I have stopped using that mod now and will be looking for some newer graphic mods that will not have this problem.

On a side note, I just want to recommend to people that are still having flickering issues to check with your game settings and mods, as those could be the cause. No one should be pointy fingers at AMD without doing some investigation of their own. Even though the drivers are not perfect yet, I have hope AMD will fix this. I've owned 4 different generations of AMD/ATI cards, this is the first issue I ran into.

16. acereborn

acereborn Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 OC
    I'm not using ENB and I still get flickers in Skyrim with beta11.

17. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    +1.
    In fact, +2.

I have a certain spot where I like to test for artifacts on COD Black Ops, on the "Crisis" map On the 12.5b's and older drivers, (not sure about 12.6 because those were the first drivers with the 100% fan black screen issue in 2D) I would get around 78 FPS by looking at this exact point from the watchtower on the Cuban side of the map. In 12.7-12.10 and earlier 12.11 betas, the FPS would be around 92 here, and would give a lot of flickers.

With the 12.11 beta 11 drivers, the FPS is back at 78, exactly the same as 12.5b, and yes, there are flickers, but they are VERY VERY rare, and almost never when you are sitting in one spot anymore. I noticed a flicker as soon as the map loaded and I started moving up towards the tunnel, but that was it.

I'm starting to wonder if its a caching issue, or even if AMD went around tweaking with RAM timings or something. But until we know what the timings for the GDDR5 are supposed to be, there may not be a way to find out.

That being said, the maps still load as fast as they did in the 12.7+ drivers; using the acutal 12.5b d3d files in the game folder give the same fps and much fewer flickers of the .11 betas, but the maps load alot slower on the 12.5b's.

It would be interesting to see what "code changes" are /were causing this, and why it doesn't affect DX10+....

18. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    the question should be, what exactly did the "fix". I think they just put back some code where they think it was "non-existent".

19. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    I dont think so.

I have seen 2 persistent bugs since i own HD 7000.

Black Flicker in Civilization 4, and repeatable skin flicker in Skyrim. Those two issues changed only a bit regardless of driver version. Civ4 shows lower ocurrence on "better" drivers, but the flickering on character's skin is always same with HD 7000. I wonder why this was never reported anywhere...

Therefore I was looking up to MS hotfixes - one was released on 27th November and it has something to do with "manifests" which are used during installation. Tried it, I reinstalled few games, but no change again.

Also the fact that it affect only some DX9 games seems like an issue with MS APIs and/or hidden game bugs which became visible now...

20. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    okay, but how can they claim they fixed smth. If they obviously did not. I mean it may have became better in some games but that's it. I hate beeing disappointed after every new driver release.I think they play on time. When the 8000 series is released they wont care anymore.