HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Tamlin

Tamlin Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 Windforce
    Looks like there is a fix out now:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx

Edit: Did a quick test on BO - nuketown, where the flickering was very noticable and I can't see anything now. I hope it stays that way! :banana:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  2. Arouet

Arouet Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr OC
    In Skyrim the Whiterun area was blanketed with flickering during the day. After installing b11 there is no flickering at all.

High five AMD!

3. Tamlin

Tamlin Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7970 Windforce
    The Witcher 2 seems fixed too. I had a savepoint in the caves under the dwarven city, where close to a door there I just had to turn around and it flickered. Flicker was gone with Beta 11. :D

4. Epic0098

Epic0098 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III
    First Post, go easy on me....

So I have this same issue with Dx9 games. Well with Skyrim to be exact (don't really play any Dx9 games anymore). After seeing today's release notes, I was really happy, as I thought I can finally play Skyrim again. However, even with the 12.11 Beta 11 drivers I am getting the same artifacts. The drivers haven't made any improvements for me. I get yellow and white artifacts across the screen. Never had this issue with my 6950 (and still don't). I've tried with stock clocks and OC as well. I'm planning on putting up a video soon on youtube so people can see what I mean.

I know it's not my card, as I'm on my third one. I bought a Gigabyte 7950 a month ago and returned that after a couple days due to the artifacts. Than I got my first MSI 7950, samething, so I exchanged that for the one I have now. After much searching around I found this thread, been following it for a month now. But I thought I should add my 2 cents into this issue as well. I submitted my issue to AMD, let's see what happens...

Every other Dx11 game like AC3 and Shogun 2 I play have no issues what's so ever.

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    make sure you put on 12.11 cap2..

6. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    Portal 2 flickering fixed. Launched many times, and played for a total of 2 hours! :D

7. fasor

fasor Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GForce 750Ti 2Gb
    Just checked Trine and GTA4 (with 12.11 beta11) and there were no flickering problems.
    It took AMD almost a year to release normal beta drivers =)
    i think it will be HD7000 anniversary when WHQL will be released :hbd:

disappointment

8. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    This seems very promising.

I am going to test it this evening... Will try without CAPs for the first time...

To Fasor:
    True. But be honest, it took more than 3 months for the users to figure out, that the problem is not hardware and that only certain titles are affected.

For the situation i can blame partially microsoft, partially game developers and partially AMD. Each windows game running with this hardware had 3 providers of software, not only one...

9. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    got to test that one. In starcraft 2 the rankings still flicker sometimes. But this may be a other issue. I got ot test the game itself.

10. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    to ClockClocker:
    I mentioned it before. I have seen videos of Starcraft II flickering with HD 7000, but I NEVER seen that issue on my own PC. Which is strange while all other games from my list were widely reported that they flicker...

11. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    it's (been) very very rare there. Maybe once in a week. And i excersivly plas that game. So you may have not noticed it yet. You may test if the menu flickers for you. just go into the rankings where your name is listed in the scores. And wait for a while ~5-10 mins. Sometimes the names flash.. smth like that. But you have to pay close attention.

Other than that the in game flickers were exactly the same flickering everybody is reporting in the same games. It just may be to rare for most people to notice it. Also DX11 games work fine for me. So i think it might be related to the DX9 issue.

12. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    12.11 beta 11 with latest CAP 2 appear to be a win with Skyrim

Just played a bit of Skyrim and ran to the Dawnguard Sanctuary where the flickers are most prominent.

No flickers, black polys, nothing with my ASUS HD7870.
    Will continue to try these out while playing some more Skyrim.
    And test out Skyrim which showed the same problem as well.

Unfortunately too long for my Brother who has now gone back to nVidia.

At least retailers will not have to deal with too many RMAs anymore.

13. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    someone who had problems with UT3 engine games can test this one? Im interessted if this was fixxed too.

14. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    Just tried Tribes:Ascend
    I saw black poly artifacting once.
    I think the latest CAP is important to get rid of the artifacting/flickering in conjunction with the latest 12.11 beta 11.
    And only specific DX9 titles appear to be catered for with flickering so far.

15. fasor

fasor Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GForce 750Ti 2Gb
    i understand that, but i'm very upset cause this problem took a lot of my time and some of my money (i bought 7870 in April and noticed those corruptions at once and they definitely looked like hardware, but there was no chance with RMA cause i bought it in other country, so i tried to modify cooling and so on, and finally in September i accidentally damaged my 7870 during modifying procedures =) )
    and so i decided to buy 7950, and i was extremely glad when i found out, that there were the same problems =) and after that and a little more tests i understand that the problem was software, and my 7870 died for nothing =)

I just want to say that our problem is only a matter of proper testing, and when i buy such expensive videocard - i don't want to be a betatester and waste my time and activity on such things. When i buy such expensive videocard - i just want to play my favorite games in Full HD =)

16. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    I also RMA'd two cards for same reason... To be true I have bad feeling about that...

17. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx

Did it happen often for you in this games? Do you think they really fixed something? Because i think it's to early for me to say it's flicker free. I tried PLAYING starcraft 2 for an hour now. No flickering so far (except the menu thing i mentioned). But that doesn't mean anything because starcraft 2 hardly flickers i think i can be sure after 3-4weeks of no flickering :/

18. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Something truly fishy is going on...

I think they might have applied a workaround... I still have the issue, but less... The problem is, the game behaves differently! I don't know how to explain it in English; I'll try.

On Dragon Age Origins, when I had the camera view almost above my head, I mean, I was seeing my head from above and only a small area around, then, the trees in background which were barely visible, they were disappearing... You know, probably to release resources... And that moment I was getting the constant black artifacts. Now, they don't disappear anymore... Damn it, I can't explain it, but I really hope someone can find what's going on. The main fact is, I still see the black artifacts, but less... Do you think this might have something to do with "instancing"? That thread on AMD forums was talking about not working at all... The replication of the same trees on DA Origin, is this something relevant to instancing or just I'm saying BS?

I'll try other games now.

19. WiFry

WiFry Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
    It happened frequently enough to be a serious issue on the 12.10 WHQL and prior 12.11 betas.

On the 12.8s it was minor.

On the 12.11 beta 11, there appears to be a lot less but as you said it needs to be tested.

This 12.11 beta is the most flicker free of the lot.

I'm just pleased Skyrim is not flickering now, from the length of time I played it.

I posted a set of images of the corruption I was getting in Skyrim with both the 12.10 and 12.11 betas at the Dawn guard sanctuary.
    Now there is no corruption there.

I will have to play it more to see if there is any visible corruption over long game play.

20. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    does the artifacts that showed up during bitmining is fixed or not with the latest beta 11 ?

because the only workaround for me is to disable aero, and i kinda yearn for using it again.

and right now i felt like i'm using old win version because of the absent of aero.