Farcry 3!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Strikerx80, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Just had a BSOD while playing Far Cry 3. (Windows 8 x64).

I was using SLI bits 0x0C1902F5 (for DX11) with 310.64

2. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I have a code for the game...where do I redeem it at....what is the process.

I must say...that huge hud is a turn off.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Is your cpu stable while using stability tests like Linx and Prime 95?
    If it is try disabling your 2nd card.:)

4. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    You won't be able to use SSAO etc.

5. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Yeah, the CPU is fine. :)
    I'm pretty positive it's driver issue (I'm not sure though if it's related to the modified SLI bit or not) as BSOD only happened with Far Cry 3.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

I posted the unpacker a while back, if one goes through the common.dat / common.fat file with it this file is revealed.

engine\settings\defaultrenderconfig.xml

Going through the file shows this:

Unfortunately editing these files don't quite work at the moment since the game doesn't read unpacked data, which is a shame since it would be really easy then to configure the game more in-depth and say removing the logo videos and such.

You can however edit the default config file if you know the correct command and the correct place for it.

DefaultRenderConfig.xml
    MaxFps="9999"

C:\Users\Jonas\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 3\GamerProfile.xml

<RenderProfile MSAALevel="2" AlphaToCoverage="2"

to

<RenderProfile MaxFPS="120" MSAALevel="2" AlphaToCoverage="2"

To give one example, I have tried other commands but finding the proper place for them is a well it's really difficult so I'm left with guessing and hoping it works.

File also auto saves when you exit the game thus removing any of these added commands so you have to write protect it for them to stick. :)

At the moment I'm using these render tweaks but I have yet to verify what works and what does not.

<RenderProfile MSAALevel="2" AlphaToCoverage="2" SSAOLevel="6" SDSM="0" ResolutionX="1920" ResolutionY="1200" Quality="custom" QualityEditor="editor_ps3" Fullscreen="1" Borderless="0" UseD3D11="1" D3D11MultithreadedRendering="1" WidescreenLetterbox="0" UseWidescreenFOV="1" FOVScaleFactor="1.0875" EnableSubResolution="0" SubResolutionX="1920" SubResolutionY="1200" VSync="0" RefreshRate="0" DisableMip0Loading="0" GPUMaxBufferedFrames="1" ShowFPS="0" Brightness="1" Contrast="1" GammaRamp="1" AllowAsynchShaderLoading="1" MaxFPS="120" FXAALevel="0" TerrainLodScale="2.0" TerrainDetailViewDistance="1024" TerrainDetailBlendViewDistance="128" TerrainLodScale="2.0" RealTreesVistaMinViewDistanceScale="0.1" RealTreesLodScale="0.1" LodScale="0.1" KillLodScale="0.1" >

The bolded parts are what I have added, I'd like to set even more cvars but I have no way of knowing where they go without a lot of experimentation, actually I'm not yet sure most of these work.
    (By comparing against the render profile xml file and usually doubling or halving existing values depending on if the higher presets used higher or lower numbers.)

7. KyleN

KyleN Member

GPU:
    gtx 670
    Wrong. You can use AO in DX9. Just edit the config file.

DX11 is a joke in this game, kills performance and the graphical difference is minimal to none. So unless you use MSAA, stick with DX9 for sure.

8. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    It looks like a DX9 game anyway. :nerd:

9. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    after messing around with all settings, this HBAO seems nothing like the real thing, but more like some modified version of the same SSAO technique implemented in this game. similar performances too. why fake HBAO ?!
    anyway that's still the most reasonable option in regards to quality/performance imo.

on another note. turning GPU Max buffered frames OFF (thank god!) completely got rid of the stutterings where under 60fps, without a single fps loss. 1 / 2 / 3 all stutter. that's with vsync 1 frame.
    (vsync 2 frames was a stuttering mess by itself, on a 120hz monitor).

I now play DX11 Ultra, 2xMSAA. normal coverage ms and HBAO. pretty solid frames. dips to 50fps on occasions, but nothing to cry about. (haven't got into big fights yet though, and I have a bad feeling about it).
    I would have turned off vsync as it eats about ~5fps (that's a lot!) but I'm too sensitive to tearing :(
    I'm considering turning off MSAA for silky smooth ~75fps, or maybe set Shadows to High for similar performances instead (very high / ultra gives softer, much blurred shadows, but High's sharp, yet not aliased shadows can easily fit the atmosphere).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  10. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    Getting between 40-120+ fps depending on day/night/cutscene/in-game. The dips aren't as bad as AC3 but again I'm disappointed by my rig's performance.

As soon as I load my save game the MSI Afterburner OSD disappears. Anyone know how to fix it?

Anyone know how to disable the DOF?

Also getting "Far Cry 3 Service not available" error every time I'm in the menu.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah I've seen other reports now about the game servers acting up, it works just fine for me though so I don't know what it could be, maybe some server trouble in certain world regions?
    (I'm unsure how their server system works.)

(You could also try to go into the Orbit/UPlay options screen and set the client to offline mode.)

EDIT: Disabling FXAA definitively worked so the same for depth of field and motion blur should be achievable.

The DOF command is:
    GameDepthOfField="1"

And Motion Blur:
    MotionBlur="1"

So in the config file this should be used to disable both.

<RenderProfile GameDepthOfField="0" MotionBlur="0" MSAALevel="2" AlphaToCoverage="2"

(The last two are already part of the file, I simply added the two commands in front of the existing ones, usually I place them at the end though.)

12. KyleN

KyleN Member

GPU:
    gtx 670
    You cant be playing at 1080p then. If you do, then youre the only one in the world that gets that performance on a single 680.

13. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    and so I've benchmarked using fraps. 1080p, around and inside the first village fight mission with a gun, killing people:

time: 2 mins.
    min: 48fps
    avg: 55fps
    max: 63fps

pretty much matches my previous observation. honored to be worlds first :)

btw: after loading game, before benching noticed bad fps. alt-tabbing out and back in fixed that, for some reason.

14. Blood487

Blood487 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Direct CUII 580(SLI)
    Well, after placing this game on my SSD, I can safely say that my FPS is through the ROOF!

Previously on my HDD I was averaging around 20-30FPS all maxed out with my hardware to the left (including 8x MSAA)

Now I've got everything on Max and I'm averaging 50-60FPS easily

This is on a Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD.

I can't believe the difference the SSD has made to my performance tbh.

I might go ahead and add some more quality features to the game such as SGSSAA

[​IMG]
    http://tinypic.com/r/10wtbo8/6

[​IMG]
    http://tinypic.com/r/v7b58m/6

^ Proof

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That took far longer than I anticipated, good thing is though that I learned something, I can now edit and change any command.

But how to describe it?

<Post>
    <quality GameDepthOfField="0" CinematicDepthOfField="0" id="ultrahigh" />
    </Post>

That basically must go under

<CustomQuality>
    <quality ResolutionX="1920" ResolutionY="1200" EnvironmentQuality="high" AntiPortalQuality="default" PortalQuality="high" PostFxQuality="ultrahigh" TextureQuality="high" TextureResolutionQuality="high" WaterQuality="veryhigh" DepthPassQuality="high" VegetationQuality="veryhigh" TerrainQuality="high" GeometryQuality="ultrahigh" AmbientQuality="high" DeferredAmbientQuality="high" ShadowQuality="ultrahigh" EditorQuality="" Hdr="1" HdrFP32="1" ReflectionHdr="1" EnableVertexBinding="1" id="custom" />
    </CustomQuality>

That section in the GameProfile.xml file, that last part id=ultrahigh is also very important, it must correspond with the setting you have chosen in-game.

<quality
    id="ultrahigh"
    PostFXLevel="2"
    FXAALevel="2"
    SSAO="1"
    SSAOMaxDistance="100"
    GameDepthOfField="1"
    CinematicDepthOfField="1"
    MotionBlur="1"
    DepthDownsample="0"
    CloudShadows="1"
    />

[​IMG]

16. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Whats not to believe. If the game is piss poor optimized then the overall performance will be very HDD intensive - instead of loading into ram like it should.

17. atimaniac

atimaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI EVOKE RX 5700 X
    If this game have bad optimalization then i dont know how possibility i play on my rig on everything maxed out and DX 11.

18. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    For the most part FC 3 is well optimized. But if the speed difference is that noticeable across 5400rpm, 7200rpm, 10,000rpm, SSD HDD's then obviously the game is not loading as much of the content as it should into ram.

I have personal experience with those theories myself as I have games that have locking/stuttering issues and have been remedied by moving them to an external faster drive or flash memory.

19. Pinky Floyd

Pinky Floyd Member

GPU:
    Fury Nitro
    Folks just in case you missed this earlier, I am seeing a 27% increase in frame rates when water detail is turned down to at least medium.

This applies when no water is being rendered on screen.

Its also fixing some folks stuttering.

Looks like a bug in the game that is impacting frame rates where it shouldnt.

See below for the evidence and give it a try for yourselves and let me know if you see the same thing as me.

20. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Login to www.ubishop.com or create an account[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Step 2:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Add Far Cry 3 to the shopping cart[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Step 3:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Click on "Click here to redeem link"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Step 4:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Enter the game code below and click apply[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Step 5:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Click the checkout button and fill out the necessary fields.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Step 6:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Click on submit order then click on begin download[/FONT]

that should work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.