ATI HD4890 DRIVER Update

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by putnick, Nov 17, 2012.

1. putnick

putnick New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4890
    Hi ppl.

I searched at the forum for driver for my graphic card and i cant find :S

my last update is 12-6-legacy_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_whql

I've seen other drivers, but are not compatible :S

can anyone help me please :S

sorry for the topic

2. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    TIME FOR AN UPGRADE BUDDY!!!

Yeah I know, it sucks, I'm in the same boat, the reason why my next upgrade WONT be AMD.

Have a look here or here.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    12.6 has been the last official update from amd. they lied about the driver releases.

4. putnick

putnick New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4890
    yeah, its time to upgrade....but i have a big problem...

€€€ :p

i gone instal AMD Catalyst 12.10 WHQL Modded_ Legacy GPU(s) - Super Stable, Super Performance.. (31/OCT/2012) and see what up :D

thanks for the help

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Not really. If you look at Nvidia for example, sure new drivers 'support' old graphics cards, but the actual code for the old cards remain the same over many driver versions, apart from a 'legacy update version'. AMD have just gone about it a little differently, separating the legacy part of the code which benefits later cards through smaller driver footprint. The legacy code may still be updated along the same lines as the Nvidia drivers.

I hope that makes sense!

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Sorry i should have mentioned i was talking about the quarterly updates they moved to. they lied about that.

7. trocio2

trocio2 Guest

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Having the newest driver is always nice. I tried a modded catalyst with my legacy card and I noticed some small improvement in most games.

Think about the people who owns HD 2000, HD 3000 and HD 4000 cards. Do you think they will buy AMD again? A lot of them will say: If I buy Nvidia, I'll have an updated driver, even if "Windows 10" comes out.

Switching to Nvidia is the smartest choice if you are planning to keep a low end videocard until it dies.

8. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Nvidia has actually implemented some new features for their DX10 GPUs though, like adaptive vsync and framerate limiter...Nvidia even supports Windows 8 on their Geforce 6 series

9. rno

rno Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB
    This. I was expecting some official Catalyst driver update after 12.6, but so far nothing. I'm really looking forward some new driver still in this year number.

10. Sasquatch_04

Sasquatch_04 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro
    It would be good to keep the lifespan of a card going with future support for new OS's, but i don't think it really has such an affect on lower end videocards as much as it affects gamers (it also depends on what you consider to be "low end").
    If you have like a GTS 220 or a HD 5830 (which where not made for gaming) is it really important to have support for four future generations of OS's? It will be so cheap to replace it may not even matter if the drivers support it or not..
    AMD's reason for not supporting older GPUs is because performance-wise there isn't much more that they can do. Ok, that's pretty much understandable but also that has been pretty obvious for months now.
    Did they do it to push customers to upgrade and drive their sales up? Especially considering AMD's current financial situation. Driver support has become too much for the driver team to handle? They promised quarterly updates and we have yet to get anything since july (12.6).
    It just seems more logical to me.
    It really does not matter to me if AMD supports Win 8 for legacy cards or not.
    Sure, it is nice, but i never bought them for that reason. I bought them for gaming, and i want to game NOW.
    Game support and stability is more a priority to legacy cards than raw performance.
    12.6 drivers are really bad with new releases like BOII and NFS Most Wanted. I had to force a CF profile to get BL2 to utilize more than 50% for my GPUs.
    The lack of legacy support for new games is becoming more and more obvious that legacy means 'abandonware', sorry to say.
    I still think my 2 4870s are really capable cards and they have been around since 2008 (and have been rebadged many times by AMD and to this day stiil have newer mid range cards at their performance level). 4870x2 is more or less a 5870, and that is still a pretty capable card.
    Previous card i had was a 8800GTS G92 and i had more problems with drivers than when i bought my first Radeon 4870. Its the Crossfire setup that sucks. Multi-GPU setups seems more viable on high-end. You still have a one high end GPU as fallback if CF/SLI isn't working as you patiently wait and can still play in the meantime. 2 mid range cards for the 'bang-for-the-buck' setups is more headache if you ask me. You're stuck with average performance 'til CF/SLI is fixed. Single card AMD setups are fine driver-wise. "Driver Cleaners" and the sort also causes more issues than it fixes when it comes to CCC. Probably for good reason because CCC is terrible. RadeonPro really puts it to shame.

So whatever is equivalent of the Radeon 7950/660 Ti (price/performance) will be my next purchase in 2013. Regardless of the company's business practices.

It may be more important which software features (Inspector or RadeonPro?) or third party manufacturer (EVGA or HIS?) i get than whether it be nVidia/AMD.....

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

11. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G
    What a nice'n'thoughtful meditation on the videocards subject.
    4 years ago I surely wasn't buying a lower end card for $ 350. So for me AMD "abandoned" 4 years old high-end videocards. And they lied about the quarterly driver release for the "legacy" cards, which in my private book of eternal suffering means a big fat minus for their shady and unexpectedly punishing attitude towards customers who payed their hard earned $ for latest tech in some ****ty post-totalitarian country where dollars don't grow on trees unless you have connection to some part of the state administration etc.

On the other hand in case of the ATI 487/90s were still powerful in new games due to constant driver optimalization AMD would have to look for some benefactor (M$ comes to mind:crapper:) because people would just not buy their (ATI's) new series and bankrupcy waits around the corner.

God I wish pimping the graphics whores (ourselves) weren't such an expensive hobby..:pray2pc:

Btw. 3rd party gpu utility is a must, using ATT with my 4870 enables me to underclock core/mem in desktop and to quiet down the fans pretty extremely, considering their stock rpm values..:rock:
    CCC is a disgrace... Another (a little smaller) minus for AMD and their SW engineers+coders (unsufficient funding?)..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  12. Conker

Conker Guest

GPU:
    Quadfire 2x7990s
    I can still run Black Ops 2 at full settings@2560x1440 and get around 80-100+fps on quadfire 4890s. I can't crank the anti-aliasing as i got only 1GB of video memory. No need not to support the 4890s still. It still has some life left.

I'm using the 12.1 driver still with the latest profiles. Newer drivers gave me some problems with some of the idling cards running in 3d mode wasting power.

In Black Ops 2 the gpu usage was around 56-75% like other games so i still can upgrade the cpu later on and get more power out of the gpus in the future. Not maxed out yet. ;)

Forcing AFR in Black Ops 2 right now. Only way to get quadfire to work right on it right now until some profile officially comes out.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  13. DesertCrow

DesertCrow Guest

GPU:
    HD4890
    So... Sorry for being pushy, but since there's already a thread about HD4890 Drivers I didn't want to open a new one and got some noob questions.

Do these drivers support my card?
    AMD Catalyst 12.10 WHQL Modded_ Legacy GPU(s) - Super Stable, Super Performance
    How do I install them? What does that mean "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement"?

I'm currently using 11.11 Catalyst and they're quite bad. Even more then 12.6 which I've got no other words to describe it but an abomination.

14. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I like how someone buys a video card, and 4-5 years later expect it to be top of the crop and have drivers rolling out for it that increase performance even more.

HD 4/5 series, and in some cases the HD 6 series have every bit of juice squeezed out of them already.

There is a reason for AMD dropping these cards from current sets.

HD 7 and the upcoming HD 8 series are based on a brand new architecture called GCN. They are putting every bit of effort into researching and providing drivers with gains in games and programs. So far they have done well, and it's just begun.

15. DesertCrow

DesertCrow Guest

GPU:
    HD4890
    I'm not looking for a performance boost but a more stable experience and the current drivers just don't supply that.
    Sure Its a dying breed, but If there are some new user-made(are they?) drivers, I'm willing to give them a try. If they indeed support my card.

16. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I doubt that anyone sees these cards as "top of the crop" anymore, but the fact is, that they even after 4 years are capable enough for modern games. On the HD4800 series at least, the "console ports" can often be played on high settings at DX9. Even high-end games like BF3 works fine once you lower the settings.
    The users probably wouldn't care much if these cards really were too slow for today's games, but that's not the case. Now however, it feels more like planned obscolence.

I don't think anyone really expects performance increases for them either.
    The move to legacy though means that even if these GPUs can support some new features AMD comes up with, they won't get them.

AMD's word though was that the legacy drivers would focus on bug fixes. It has soon been 6 months after the first legacy driver was released, but still no word about the new driver.
    With big games like Black Ops 2 already released(and that's a biggie!) and FC3, AC3, Hitman etc incoming, it would be good to know that these cards aren't left totally in the dust.

17. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G
    I second to that.

For more bad news check out this article - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-layoff-cpu,19190.html - looks like their fall continues no matter what the management does. I think instead of laying off more employees the management itself should be bumped outta job immediately.

Major AMD shareholders, do you read me?

HIRE MORE CAPABLE MANAGEMENT!

And this time, make it NOT be your uncle's father's sister's grandson's friend's mother's brother-in-law, but someone with actual knowledge and vision!

Or maybe I am wrongly accusing the menageriement of incompetence and even a powerful leadership of Jesus, Buddha and Mohammed would not suffice to succeed in the competitive struggle with Intel's CPUs and Nvidia's GPUs.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  18. GotNoRice

GotNoRice Active Member

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    I ran 2x 4870x2 and those cards went from being the fastest cards AMD made (until Fall 2009) to being abandoned to the legacy driver less than 3 years later.

Those 4 GPUs combined deliver about the same performance as a single GTX680 or 7970 despite their age, which is more than enough to run any game out now or within the next few years at least - other than the fact that AMD pulled out the driver rug from underneath... :finger:

4xxx series cards still don't even have official windows 8 drivers. I just installed Windows 8 on an old AGP rig with a 6800 Ultra from 2004, using the latest and fully supported Nvidia drivers... As much as I loved those 4870x2 cards, this is the reason I'm now using GTX680 SLI. It makes me warm and fuzzy inside knowing I'll still have drivers for my cards 5+ years from now.

19. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    oya because CF & SLI work perfect on every game.... no, cant compare to a single 680 or 7970 except for a few rare cases

it's not about the years, it's not about performance, it's not about GCN, it's that they're not dx11 cards.... it happened before with the dx9 cards & before that with the dx8 cards, so why are people being hysterical & boycotty this time??

bug fixes & games where new code needs to be written are the only thing that matter

the CAPs still work fine, i get CF in hawken without flickers

sure nv 'supported', put it in win8 whql, but now everything pre dx10 is legacy as well, so... same situation, just a few years longer & an extra OS supported

i cant even try crysis3 since the game is dx11 only at the moment (well i can, 570m laptop, but that's around single 4870 speeds based on my tests)

so what am i gonna do? i want a deal on a 7970... or see what 8 series has, play my current backlog & deal with the not perfect 60fps on some demanding games for now... i have another problem, ddr2 & q9550 3.6ghz, that will hinder any new card i get (want to see what haswell will do)

20. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    DX9 hw simply couldn't play DX10 games though, whereas it's possible for DX10/10.1 hw to play DX11 games. The DX11 API has feature levels for DX10/10.1 hw.

I've thought that the legacy support could be fine if AMD delivers with bug fixes etc, but it doesn't seem so. AMD also doesn't have a good history with legacy support, the support for DX9 cards was only about a year or so.