Windows 8 & SweetFX compatibality

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by dexth77, Nov 15, 2012.

1. dexth77

dexth77 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX970 SLI
    Hello,
    Would like to know if you manage to get Windows 8 & SweetFX to work for you? I can't seem to get SweetFX to work (in fact, I cant get any Injectors to work with Win 8 x64). Working fine on Win7 x64 before upgrade. Did an clean install doesnt help.
    If any of you faced similar problem and have any solution, kindly list down.

Thanks a bunch!

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's based on the SMAA injector if I remember correctly, there should be a log.txt file in the same folder as the main .dll file (d3d9 or dxgi .dll) perhaps that might give some additional info on what is required.
    (Or at least how it is being blocked.)

UAC is improved with Windows 8 and it uses a "admin approval" method to further enhance security (Both can be mostly disabled albeit they are useful.) plus I believe the OS also has a improved security program based on MSE or Windows Defender.

Any of those might perhaps be preventing the .dll to inject into the game exe (Via memory or how it works.) though that is just a guess for now.

EDIT: It could also be that the Windows / DirectX SDK updates with Windows 8 requires D3D9.dll and DXGI.dll to be recompiled against it before it's accepted by Windows 8 but that is also just a guess.

3. OmniAtlas

OmniAtlas Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I'm running FSX (ms flight sim x). I got sweetfx to work when I enabled DX10, but not in DX9 mode, strange huh?

Any idea how I can fix this?

Here is my log file --

full path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\
    redirecting CreateDXGIFactory
    redirecting D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain
    removing D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_SINGLETHREADED flag
    redirecting CreateDXGIFactory1
    redirecting CreateDXGIFactory1
    removing D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_SINGLETHREADED flag

4. dexth77

dexth77 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX970 SLI

Unfortunately no, there's no error log file. It's always app crash error at launch. Based on the suspects, what are the things I shud try? thanks.

5. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Why everyone says it's not working on Win8 ? It's clearly working for me. It just won't work with any overlay like FRAPS under win8.

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I'm still on Windows 7 x64 so I can't test it myself so the help I can offer is a bit limited. :)

The injector usually causes a crash if the files are in the wrong folder, usually everything goes where the exe file is but for certain games the shader files need to be in a separate directory.

That's not much help though as I assume you tried on multiple games with the same results and it should have worked on several of them as the above situation isn't that common.

If it doesn't manage to create a log file before crashing it must be very early on in the chain, are the redistributable files up to date?
    (Well that isn't of much help either I suppose as the game would crash if DirectX - June 2010 current - and VC++ - 2005 SP1, 2008 SP1, 2010 SP1 and 2012 current - weren't available.)

Are you using some other overlay, maybe there's a conflict there?
    (I only use Fraps myself so I have a very limited knowledge of others such as Msi or Evga's utilities or driver tweaks like Radeon Pro and the like.)

As for the above issue with Flight Simulator it could be a problem with the injector if one version works and another doesn't, maybe D3D9Ex related?
    (Then again not too many games actually use D3D9Ex from what I know, basically a extended DirectX9 version provided with Vista.)

EDIT: Aha so it could be a overlay issue. :)

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    When i was running windows 8 i was having problems with games that work fine under windows 7x64.
    it would just crash to the desktop, or just not work (no change in colors or other settings).
    tried without fraps or afterburner. didnt make a difference for me.

8. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Hi Wanny, have you tested MaLDoHD 4.0 Beta in windows 8 using SMAA settings?

Thank you.

9. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I can't test that I'm sorry... I have maldo but Origin can't detect I have a DX11 1.9 patch installed on my PC. Origin is being derpy.

I have to redownload and I don't have enough bandwidth.

10. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080

And Crysis 2 vanilla DX11, can you test it? I think DX11 is detected by the game itselft, not Origin, when some files are into the game folder.

11. felang

felang Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 680
    I am such an idiot... forgot to disable fraps

12. dexth77

dexth77 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX970 SLI
    I've tried running without A/B and Fraps. No help.

13. dexth77

dexth77 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX970 SLI
    thanks for your input. Basically every single game crashed. And yes, I has game requirements (directx, redistributables) up to date.
    When u say overlay, u mean as in the inj settings? i've tried default with no success.

14. OmniAtlas

OmniAtlas Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia

Do you know I can install DirectX9 under Windows 8? It just keeps on popping up that I have the latest version install. I would like to do a full reinstall.

15. OmniAtlas

OmniAtlas Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I just downloaded the redist files for directx from MS website, reinstall on my Windows 8 OS; rebooted.

No changes with FSX :( Again SweetFX only works in DirectX10 and not DirectX 9. DirectX10 is buggy with FSX which is why I would like to stay in DirectX9 mode.

Any suggestions at all?

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yes you can, you need to install the DirectX redistributable file in order to acquire the separate extension .dll files needed by most current games. :)
    (Steam and such usually run these redists automatically upon first launch of the game, I like to delete them and keep it all manual so I know what's installed and so that only the latest version is installed.)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
    (Similar to why you need the VC++ redistributable files or .NET 3.5 for Windows 8 in a way.)

17. OmniAtlas

OmniAtlas Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Reinstalled with no such luck. So it must be a sweetfx compatibility problem?

18. OmniAtlas

OmniAtlas Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Ran some tests with FSX this morning --

SweetFX and FXAA do not work in directx9.0 more in Windows 8.
    ENBSeries works in directx9.0 in Windows 8.

Can the author make some changes to sweetfx so it will be compatible in directx9 in Windows 8? Thanks.

19. dexth77

dexth77 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX970 SLI
    same as yours. Seems like no solution to some of us who faced this issue.

20. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Well maybe its a problem with FSX and Crysis 2 but all other games I tried on win8 works so far.