Why does SLI/Crossfire suck?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by miffywiffy, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Zoz

Zoz Guest

GPU:
    2x 580 @ 950/2100
    What are you babbling about? Please stop lying and spreading mis-information.

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd be interested in hearing your impressions. My own have been favourable of late, as have those of people I know.

3. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    There is all types of potential problems with SLI/CFX you can be involved in.

It is really up to you and your needs if you want to deal with them (if you experience them ofc.) or you will use single GPU (witch still have all types of potential problems).

SLI/CFX is mostly for people who use/prefer very high screen resolutions (for their own reasons) and want to have acceptable performance.

4. GPU

GPU Guest

er or you can run @15-30 fps[min] and put up with a drop to 5 fps[min]
    OR keep the SAME SETTINGS and run sli \cf @ 45-50 [min]you chose
    most peeps with sli\cf think they can max. everything crank up nvcp ,game inf's ,follow every tweak on the net. posted by a 12yr old. then whine that 2 cards are not worth the money.

you either know or you don't how to set up a system .
    -when they do benches here at gur3d on sli\cf set ups they always add sli\cf ran like crap -right

5. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I will run BF3 @1080P, maxed to the hilt and see what kind of FR I'd be getting. If my FX8120@3.7ghz + 2x GTX670 can do it, I don't see why Lengthy's 2x GTX680 + 3770K (it is an i7, not i5) cannot do better. Will be testing with 310.33 driver on 64bit Win7 Pro SP1.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    2 580`s can max it out at 1080 with a minimum 60fps, no reason 2 670`s cannot

7. Agreed, no issues here

Hell I love SLI, hated crossfire because of AMD's overall lack of dedication to driver development and optimization as opposed to NVIDIA's. Only thing is it does require some fine-tuning and finese to get it working properly with some games, esp ones that don't have profiles yet or are just poorly optimised. I think SLI is pretty straightforward and idiot proof. If you disagree then stop whinning and don't use SLI, for christ's sake, some people... wha wha wha... "sli this, crossfire that..." Learn to use it, or don't use it at all. The problem isn't the technology. It's generally the user, sometimes it's a poorly optimised game or a known driver problem, but I'd say that's less than often the case.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2012
  8. The Lengthy One

The Lengthy One Guest

GPU:
    2x 680 SLI
    uno, after reading this

I went back and RE-READ my first THREE POSTS in this thread.

It is DEFINATELY NOT me.

Just a refresher on my very FIRST POST on this thread..

I have only read my first three posts, however I cannot imagine in any of the OTHER posts either, that I would have in any way implied I did nto get 60FPS in BF3.

With my 680 SLI I get glorious rock solid 60FPS @ 60hz 1080p Ultra (and I NEVER play without VSYNC)

I think I am flying above heads here, try and understand what I am actually saying in my posts, you may need to RE-READ them gentlemen.

Mind you, I am saying it is not me, however, I am aware I am pretty crap at explaining myself, so, I guess people can be forgiven for misinterpreting my POINT, but with a little common sense if you read my first 3 posts it is not that hard what point i am trying to make or what I am trying to say.

Certainly nothing about me having FPS problems in BF3, or SLI not improving my FPS in BF3.

Just one more time for the hell of it, WITHOUT SLI I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO PLAY BF3 AT 60FPS 1080P ULTRA.

OK really am leaving this thread now before I manage to piss off another 7 people.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Oops, my bad, been posting in a few forums, sort got things mixed up. My apologies, TLO, it was miffywiffy's post, not yours. Well, since he has 2x GTX670 SLi with a 1st gen i7, I can try BF3 out at max setting @1080P and see if I can score over 60fps as well.

10. The Lengthy One

The Lengthy One Guest

GPU:
    2x 680 SLI
    That's all good my friend, still, I myself am aware I often have things clear in my head but then they fail huge in writing lol

And yes as in my first post I made, I mention I feel he may (miffywiffy) have some sort of configuration issue, as I get some excellent FPS improvements from SLI - I just go on to confuse a portion of people by starting to debate why we need SLI for certain situations, and then proceed to agree with him that actually yes, OK, sli is crap, LOL depending on from which perspective you look from (again, I just start rambling in my earlier posts) so even if not you, I can for sure see where SOME people get confused with me.

11. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    And you can extend your opinion to about anything in market. I for one, do agree with you, and i think it is a true all things you said. You know PC's are like cars (or any other product really), whole without bottom.

Now if you want to change how society (market etc.) works, I"m with you, but we have to understand that enough people are comfortable with situation as it is, and some whoa re unsure about it, don't want to risk of loosing, providing for others etc.

Unfortunately, we don't have another planet to move on lol, and even if we have, there is very slight chance that anything will change. People simply do not care, they are too busy to even think about it, and that is part of it. We don't need conspiracy theories here, things are very simple.

AMD/nVidia etc. are private corp. In those corporations people have jobs. Now let alone nV/AMD, take for example, you have your company, and you are one greedy bustard, and i do have corp. also, and I am one greedy bustard. Now, you come to me, and tell me, i will produce this and this, but you need to support me with that... and you give me money. I am happy, you are happy, employees have job, rest are scr**d. Now fo you think that any of mine or yours workers will leave the job because they know we profit in immoral way? No, not even one, they will course you, talk on back to you, but all will continue to work for you.

That is the case in all industry/production, food, cars, you name it. That is all possible thanks to the low level corruption that most people do aware or not aware. And some "clever" ones, have no moral obligations, and abuse that nature of humans. In short, situation represent true human nature.

You can be disguised about it, or not, but that's how world works. And in our short remembered history, things was never different, so you can predict if they will be or not.

I'm quite off topic, but this topic is more close to OP and you than actual name of the topic.

12. The Lengthy One

The Lengthy One Guest

GPU:
    2x 680 SLI
    Despite English clearly not being your first language, I did indeed fully understand all you said, and I agree, you are wise, and aware.

13. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Sorry, i didn't learned English in school :). And you know we can't do anything about it, but inform people, with more or less success.

14. The Lengthy One

The Lengthy One Guest

GPU:
    2x 680 SLI
    Nothing to apologize for I was just saying that you explained yourself well.

The bearers of certain obvious facts are often not well received on this forum from my experience - we can but try.

SLI-756 is a perfect example - he has taken a real dislike to me http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4446740&postcount=10

And so have SEVERAL others, if I cared even in the slightest I would ofc keep my opinions a little quieter, however my nature is to make sure people know when they are having a REMOVED and inform them they should NOT be putting up with it :D

Fact is, and I mention it for about the 20th time, I had to spend £860 to get a solid 60FPS in BF3 at 1080p - in what world is this acceptable?

A confused one it seems.

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    On the other hand, those claiming their own personal opinion are facts have issues. You didn't HAVE to spend anything on a game. Do me a favor and clean up your post before I report it. There are kids that read this site.

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    what reporting the post because of that....come on get real.

how is that offensive to kids?

your avatar is probably more offensive to kids than what he posted...

juvenile ban worthy filth. no bad words there i think.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Good riddance to bad rubbish

18. GotNoRice

GotNoRice Active Member

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    My GTX680s in SLI match quite well with my 120hz monitor. I've never felt like I was worse off with two cards than I was with one.

Prior to that, I used 2x 4870x2 in QuadCF. Those cards are still going strong in my secondary computer today. I never had any real issues with that setup either, even when it came to most games being able to take advantage of all 4 GPUs. In fact, that is part of the reason I got the 2nd 680; because coming from 4 4870 GPUs to a single GTX680 was barely a side-grade.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That answers my question in the 4sale thread....lol

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I believe that was his 3rd alias, do not worry he will be back.