Dual Xeon Machine has NIC/PCI slot problems

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by sixty4bitdiablo, Nov 10, 2012.

1. sixty4bitdiablo

sixty4bitdiablo Guest

GPU:
    Onboard
    So, I picked up a Supermicro X7DWE dual socket 771 and a couple of quad core Xeon processors real cheap a few months back to run a 8 core server machine. Was working great as a router and file server until recently. The power went out during Hurricane Sandy, machine was plugged into a surge protector, no battery back up. I left it off for a week. Went to reboot it up yesterday and it will not find any NIC's.

Here is whats up:
    -Running Linux Mint 13 Maya Mate I messed with it for a bit and said what the heck I'll just reinstall the OS.
    -During reinstallation it could not detect the onboard NIC's or any in the PCI Slot (both a gigabit fiber card and a generic 3com 10/100 card). So, I booted to Knoppix. No detection. I booted to a different flavor of linux (crunch bang), nothing there either.
    -Pulled RAM and reset BIOS. Checked power cables, everything is snug there...

STILL CANT FIGURE IT OUT!

Bottom line: Everything about this computer runs great, except I can't get a NIC to work to save my life right now!

Help please!

2. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Sounds like it could be bad. Do the NICs have a link light or are they completely dead?

Stupid question... are they enabled in the bios? And the last stupid question, have you tried testing the on-board with the pci cards removed?

3. sixty4bitdiablo

sixty4bitdiablo Guest

GPU:
    Onboard

1) the link lights show up amber to the onboard and pci nics.
    2) scoured the bios, did not find any options for lan other than WOL
    3) onboard nic does not work with or without pci cards installed

i just unplugged everything and let it set for an hour. going to try back at it here in a few. any other suggestions?

4. sixty4bitdiablo

sixty4bitdiablo Guest

GPU:
    Onboard
    no luck. can not get any operating system to detect any nic, either onboard or not. can't find any settings in bios. not happy.

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I think the nic enable\disable is a jumper connection setting. Check JPL1/JPL2. Default would be JPL1 – Pin1-2 nic1 enable and JPL2 – Pin2-3 nic2 disable.

You could try switching these pins and see if nic2 comes to life if it is currently set to disabled.

How was it connected to your network when it went down?

6. sixty4bitdiablo

sixty4bitdiablo Guest

GPU:
    Onboard

1) those jumpers do not even exist on my motherboard.
    2) the computer was hooked directly to my cable modem via cat5 to jpl1, cable modem currently working fine with cheap netgear router.

i never changed anything, the computer just stopped detecting any network adapter, be it onboard or in the pci-x slot (i have tried 3 different nics, none work)

i find this all especially weird because the link indicator lights work when a cable is plugged in to any of them (and yes, i even tried different cables)

7. sixty4bitdiablo

sixty4bitdiablo Guest

GPU:
    Onboard
    bump. any other suggestions?