Guild wars 2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MadelineX, Oct 26, 2012.

1. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Is anyone with a similar build getting a steady fps in Guild Wars 2? If so, which driver and caps are you using?

I feel that there may be an issue with the amd drivers and the Shaders setting in the game itself.

I've also tried various profile tweaks with radeon pro. I range 30-60 fps very sporadically. It's quite annoying really. Mostly I hang in the 45 to 52 range. This doesn't seem correct to me.

2. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    A buddy in my Guild uses an HD 6990 with Catalyst 12.10 and never sees below 43 FPS even in WvW. That is maxed out at 1080p of course.

This game even on my rig, I can dip into the high 50's at times.

It's heavily CPU bound. I can't speak for Trifire, but I know his experiences with just one HD 6990.

Your FPS is correct in this case, since the game engine is heavily CPU bound at this point in time. Anet is actually gradually moving the engine around to use more GPU bit by bit.

3. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Thank you for the information Ghost. I shall put the framerate dips out of mind and enjoy the scenery. That is if this screen stops going black...

4. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    Its a totaly Nvidia optimized game.
    i played with 5770 long time, my fps at wvwvw was at about 12-20 fps. Citiy about 25-40 same outdoor.

Now my frend buy a 670gtx and give me his old 460gtx.
    The 460gtx is about 15% faster as the 5770 but on Guildwars it double my FPS.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    optimizations

One of command line parameters is -CUDA to force use of it. Now you know what optimizations it got.

On other hand, I run PlayClaw OSD and can tell, that with i5@4.4GHz my GPU utilization is usually at 99%.
    But in cities where a lot of scripts and stuff is, CPU becomes limit and GPU utilization of 7970@1.05GHz goes down to 60-70%.

You should check workloads of your CPU/GPU under different circumstances to see what is really your problem during frame drops.

My biggest issue is that game destroys render and starts new every time I teleport which may cause game crash and even more with overlay running.

6. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I was told on the forums (not by ANet though) that -CUDA was useless, about a month ago.

Does -CUDA only do what it says, and only work on CUDA hardware? Or is it OpenCL?

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Nvidia has nothing to do with this bro. SLI pumps out negative scaling in some cases. It's the game engine.

You do realize a 460 is faster than a 5770 anyway right? It won't just be faster in GW2 friend.

It won't work for AMD users, and it doesn't really do much for Nvidia either. AMD/ATI actually hold the top in FPS for GW2 right now.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Gu...ormance-Chart-Released-By-ArenaNet-46036.html

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/bill-freist-talks-optimization-and-performance/ link to the article from GW2 mainsite.

This was released by Anet themselves.

The HD 7800 series almost performs even with the GTX 680 in GW2. Nvidia is having a rough time with this game. I just can't see it being "Nvidia Optimized".

Also New Catalyst drivers since 12.9 optimized GW2 even further, so add about 5-8 FPS on average to that bench for AMD.

Both Nvidia and AMD/ATI have said the engine is hard to work with, and the best AMD has been able to do is about +7-15% scaling with Crossfire, and in most cases Nvidia is negative. Multi-GPU doesn't do much to this game really. The only case I've really seen it help with is when supersampling is enabled in game to force higher than native resolutions.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  8. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Any idea why the game causes the the screen to minimize and maximize twice while loading between zones. It's as if crossfire is enabling and disabling or something. I hear the windows notification ding ring twice. It's rather odd. Perhaps there is a setting in a profile I can tick in order to stop this?

9. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    GW1 flashed a blackscreen between loading areas with Multi-GPU. I know my HD 7970's do not do this.

It could be an HD 6 series thing. Have you tried playing without Tri-Fire? Try just the HD 6990 on Cat 12.10.

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I think I recall hearing that you could force your own AA on GW2 now, since some cap update. Does anyone know if this is true? Could you force SSAA?

11. Kuldebar

Kuldebar Guest

GPU:
    GT730 2GB/DDR5
    No, you still can't force any AA if using AMD, use of NVIDIA Inspector supposedly can force AA on nVidia GPU's, but I don't know that for certain. The CAP just keeps the game from bugging out (blackscreen/white screen, etc) when forcing AA. The game now just simply ignores the GPU setting.

I use RadeonPro or SweetFX Injector for my AA in GW2. Currently RadeonPro is my choice because I also get the ability to run Triple Buffering as well as the SMAA method.

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

It seems MLAA from Catalyst also affects GW2 (just the checkbox), not entirely sure about any other AA method though.

13. Kuldebar

Kuldebar Guest

GPU:
    GT730 2GB/DDR5
    True, but even as excited as I was about the MLAA when it came out, it has a crappy effect on the game UI and really doesn't solve the jaggies very well. In game FXAA is better than MLAA with less performance hit. Both overly blur text and image.

SMAA is superior with the added benefit of other features (sharpen, tone-mapping, etc) but requires the use of an injector.

I don't even consider MLAA anymore because I haven't found a game that I could abide using it with.

14. Despoiler

Despoiler Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire TRI-X R9 Fury
  15. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    its not an nvidia optimized game as the below quote says, the 460 is closer to a 5850/5870/6870 then a 5770, hence it gets better perf.

WvWvW is horribly unoptimized they are working on it.....the game as a whole is poorly optimized honestly....again, they are working on making it use gpu's more effectivly.

the 12.11 beta's boost 7870 perf by about 10% across the board, more in some titles(seem upwards of 40% in a few titles in various reviews)

actually multi gpu can more then double your fps on amd, nvidia gets negative scaling in some cases and in others they get a perf boost, but never close to double as Many AMD users I know are reporting.

the games VERY cpu bound but I will get to that after the next quote.

nope, you cant use CCC or NVCP to force aa, the game is directX9 with differed lighting, that blocks the use of MSAA(driver based AA)

you can use sweetFX or RadeonPro to get SMAA tho, and it looks amazingly better then FXAA with little to no perf hit.

with RadeonPro theres a trick you have to do to get SMAA working tho, you have to use the command line arugment to login without seeing the launcher/updater.

another big tip is using downsampling i run the game at 2560x1440 on my 1920x1080 monitor, makes a huge dif, combine with smaa, no jaggies at all!!!

also theres a beta FOV fix you can find if you check the official forums for gw2, it helps alot(game looks alot better when you can see more!!!)

one trick you can try is -unbragpu this will move the occlusion culling to your videocard from you cpu, for some it helps for others it harms fps, for yet others it has no effect.

the games VERY cpu bound at the moment, but it also has issues on random systems despite them having very high end hardware, i have seen MANY reports of X series intel cpu's with high end videocards from both sides getting far worse fps then I get, at lower resolutions then I play at......

-testVerticalFov is the FOV arguement......hope this helps :)

also note: i get zero perf hit at 2560x1440 with supersample mode enabled in game, so for me at least theres no harm in using it :D

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    The Best I've seen on my rig is 144FPS which is what I Vsync to, and that doesn't last long. Towns I usually hover in the low-mid 50's. On the field I can hit almost 100 with a lot of people running around. Also yes I max this game out at 1080p.

Yes its a very CPU heavy game. OC'ing the CPU is very important even with a single GPU with GW2.

17. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    Oh I forgot to mention, from what i read the -cuda is just an Umbra option and dosnt help much if at all even for nvidia users with high end cards(infact i have read they have removed it because it had no benefit at all..)