Trying to upgrade, not quite right

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by kxkraze, Oct 30, 2012.

1. kxkraze

kxkraze Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 650 Ti 1GB
    Hi Forum. Newbie here. I haven't built a rig in a while so I am a little rusty.

I built my rig about 2 years ago mostly for editing home HD video. It has a GTX 260 in it and 8 Gig of RAM. I decided to do a little update and purchased 32 Gig of RAM and a GTX 650 Ti card (MSI). The RAM went smooth and the 650 Ti worked OK, but when I tried rendering video, it was slower than my old 260. I am guessing there is something I missed with the installation. Any suggestions I could try would be greatly appreciated before I return the card.

2. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    Could you give us more information about your current computer specs ?
    Intel i7 doesnt say much. Also what kind of rendering software are you using ?

3. kxkraze

kxkraze Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 650 Ti 1GB
    Thanks for your response. I'm up at work so there may be a few things that I don't know off the top of my head but I will give it a whirl...

OS = Win7 Pro

Video Editing SW = Cyberlink PowerDirector 10. Looking to start using AfterEffects as well.

PSU = 650Watt (don't recall the exact brand) 23+ amps on 12 Volt rails

Mobo = P55-CD53 (intel chipset 1156 socket)

Processor = Intel i7 (don't know the exact specs

Hard Drives = 2x SATA 500GB(RAID 0)(1TB total) as OS/Prog drive.
    1x SATA 1TB storage drive

1 DVD/CD SATA Burner

I don't know the exact specs of my case and cooling but it's a good setup and I don't think heat is any issue at all.

My current suspect is that I did not do a clean uninstall of the GTX260 drivers before I installed the GTX650 Ti drivers. The video looked good and the card was stable, it was just slow when asked to render (Heavy CUDA tasking). The other thought that crossed my mind was that maybe my 3 year old mobo just doesn't fully support the new specs of the 650 Ti and the card is running in limp mode.

Sorry I lack some details but hopefully that can get things going...

4. GMtm

GMtm Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    Sounds like your new graphics driver may have broken CUDA support for PowerDirector. Go take a look at the Cyberlink support forums and see if there is a previous driver version for 650Ti that has CUDA support.

5. kxkraze

kxkraze Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 650 Ti 1GB

Thanks!! You were right on the money. I went to the Cyberlink support forums and sure enough, the Nvidia WHQL Drivers - 306.23 created a CUDA rendering bug.

Thanks again!!