Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    I've grown really attached to my skype and radio apps, keeping them up but in the background so I can focus on my other things really is nice

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    For those intrested:
    Q6600 - Palit 8800GT 512Mb (oh how I've missed you) - 4Gb ram - ASUS P5KC Motherboard - Nvidia Driver 306.97 - Vsync on.

Far Cry 2 - Ultra (DX10) 0x AA - 1920x1080
    -Win VIsta x64 - min 29, avg 45, max 60.
    -Win 8 x64 - See above give or take a few.

Really no point in upgrading to 8 for myself as a gamer of the PC platform and like mentioned once you throw Start8 in there its just Win 7 minus the pretty Aero, and on that - Why include the High Contrast themes that they've kept since as far back as i can remember but not Aero?

Again if you on XP then might aswell go for Win8 if only for future updates and support seeing as it the latest windows. I like it but dont see its point when Win 7 is doing everything fine (I myself use Vista and wont be upgrading anytime soon).

It just.... isnt needed by anyone already on a current platform of the last few years.

3. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    News flash genius, you DO NOT HAVE TO USE the Modern UI or it's apps to do your work. I can multitask just fine on the desktop just as well, if not better than I could in Win7 (actually, I'd got with better.) Try taking a step off of the hate wagon for a minute and think about the bs you are trying to spread. If you don't like Win 8, that's fine. Just stop making of crap to suit YOUR opinion.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah it's not so much forced on you but more given a bit too much face time.
    Though again for me at least there is still no reason to upgrade (atm) as i mainly game and watch movies music etc, But even for someone who's more on the office side of things I cant see Win 8 being a must have.

Performance for gaming may increase in time but unless it's by something significant then i'll be sticking with Win Vista until im forced to upgrade (Might have to go and grab a copy of Win7 before they magically disappear).

5. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    Damn right. Everybody could have tested the Release Preview and understand how it works. Plus you can upgrade from that FREE RP to Win 8 Pro for 40$/30Euro. It's an incredible deal.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    "Gaming performance" isn't the selling point for the majority of consumers.

7. Viventis

Viventis Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI 5870
    When I did this the disc booted and started the installation. Then it told me that I had to run the disc from within Windows for it to work. I was doing the upgrade that kept my applications, so that might be a difference.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well, you can keep two modern apps open in one screen. Or one app and desktop. You can easily switch between apps anyway with windows+tab and desktop apps obviously with alt+tab.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Agreed but it's what i base my upgrade factor on, dont care what everyone else is doing even if the majority all upgraded to 8 i still wouldnt as it doesnt bring any advantages to My everyday use of My PC.

And even for the Majority, if they find it to be easy to use etc etc, ask them what benefits does it have over win7 and do they think that spending money on 8 would be worthwhile in the long run as far as getting things done quicker - most will probably say no (If they actually think about). No point in upgrading just because.

its not hard to get use to, but theres no real benefit to even try as its just seven with no start menu/button - at the moment anyway.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Short of hardware upgrades, you're not going to see any real performance gains if all you're concerned with is frames per second. A new operating system isn't going to magically make your hardware perform better.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ^^Umm, yes it does. Going from 32bit to 64bit = better and more use from ram, CPU features.

Also going from Vista to Win7 was a reason why everyone upgraded as apprently Vista a resoucres hog..right.

Aero is no more so less stress there.

Even going from XP to Vista brings a preformance boost despite what all the haters want to believe.

If I myself see no reason to upgrade with win8 then I'm not going to upgrade, Its a fancy theme that could of been released with an update.

Your saying win8 is better - I agree, but I would only upgrade to it if i was on Mac OS or XP. Not enough of a diff compared to the last 2 versions of windows to matter to me.

Maybe your seeing benefits in 8 that I'm not, cool. I think you'll find that the people who do see these benefits will be the minority not the majority and if that is the case then that right there shows how little need there is to upgrade from the current OS around. If performance increases are so small that an argument needs to be made in order to point them out will then they may aswell be non-exsistant as your everyday user is not going to notice, you only see it coz you know what to look for.

Avg joe is only familair with ignorance- better to be in bliss then dable in the technicalities that one does not truely understand nor need to know of.

To me, if whats touted a being better is not apprarent with a few of the standard poking arounds one does to test a familiar piece of equipment (think - Benchmarks/FPS measuring in-game is what I do), then whats the point of spending money. It's like the Apple Iphone/Ipad thing all over again - Looks pretty so must be better. Thats not enough for me.

For me, it'd be like going from 580sli to 680 sli - for NZ$1600 that would not be a smart choice of an upgrade. TXAA - yeah worth every penny.-(sarcasm). But to someone with 560sli or even 470s then sure knock yourself out and enjoy.

I yes I like Windows 8 - It works, metro can be hidden away but imo it should not be there in the 1st place for desktop PC's. Stardocks way is how it should've been done, but 8 has next to no use for Me as it just does not offer enough for me to spend time and money on - Yet.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  12. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    After dabbling with the preview build I could see myself adapting to Win 8 but never being totally happy with it.

It would be interesting in the future for someone who has been using Win 8 for a good year or so reflecting on whether or not it's really suitable for the desktop user. People seem to be a bit too polarised about it at the moment IMO.

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    If i bought a pc/laptop tomorrow and it came with windows 8 I would'nt uninstall it as it does what it should but requires a bit of tinkering around, hell if i got a free copy given to me then yeah I'd install it on all my PC's.

14. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    I got a laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed in august and picked up on the Windows 8 Pro upgrade officer.
    Felt that I couldn't go wrong with such a heavy discount.
    Have to say I find Windows 8 excessively clunky, and while I'm leaving it on my laptop its definitely not coming anywhere near my main desktop computer.... ever.

I dislike how Microsoft is imposing artificial limitations on its customers by not giving people the choice to use the old Start menu if they want to, despite the fact there were no technical limitations preventing it.(a registry edit re-enabled the old start menu as recently as the Release Preview), its simply just a case of "because we don't want you to".

Also the removal of the Aero glass theme was also completely uncalled for, and makes desktop mode look like i'm running Windows 7 in safe mode.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm not saying Win8 is better. I have yet to state that Win8 is better. I prefer it's UI over previous versions (Win95-Win7 specifically), but that doesn't make it better. Just means I prefer it. I also don't concern myself with artificial "performance gains" when upgrading. I upgraded simply because I like the new UI.

There are things Win8 has been better optimized for, sure, but even those optimizations don't make it "better".

FPS and benchmarks, imho, are a poor judge of performance. You can have 300fps and still have poor gameplay.....while you can have 30fps and have silky smooth gameplay. Personally, I'm a fan of smooth game play over FPS.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The Language selection... tab.. next to the time and date at the lower right corner.. the "ENG" text, How do you make that go way?

It went away by itself a little while ago, and now it is back, I can't figure it out.. I feel like an idiot.

OTL

[​IMG]

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ KissSh0t - That displays if you have more than one keyboard language active. Open up the Region and Language control panel and click on the Keyboard and Languages tab. You should see something like English (UK) and English (US). Highlight the one(s) you don't want and click on Remove. When you only have one language selected then the ENG icon disappears.

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    I just bought an acer laptop with windows 8. My first time with it. It is so solid. So fast and nice looking. But I got questions.

How I close an app in metro up. I mean I enter finance. How I shut down it. I think it just mini mixes itself hi?
    And it asks me pass word ever time I restart my laptop. Better I find where is the control panel.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Move your mouse pointer to the lower left hand corner of the screen and right click on the blue box that appears.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    lol, that is so fupped up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.