HD 6850 Crashing (grey screen, white screen, black screen, pink screen, etc)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by FireFreak111, Oct 21, 2012.

1. FireFreak111

FireFreak111 Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 660 2GB
    I really don't get what is happening.

I was playing Fallout New Vegas, on a slightly OCed Powercolor 6850. Been using it for a few days (after a Windows 8 reinstall). Been working fine, until mid game, I got a pink screen (Yes, a pink.). So I reboot, launch it again, get a blue/black screen (flashes colour than goes to black, as though there was no input). I can't alt+tab, CTRL+DEL or anything.

Launch Mass Effect 3, same thing. Go to Warcraft 3, launch a game online, Grey screen. Get multiple grey screens trying BF3.

I go all agro and take out the 6850. I put in a 4650 (with a really annoying fan that is so loud it drives you to insanity). No issues, but I can't run BF3 Armoured Kill, or Fallout New Vegas (locked in ugrids, too many INI tweaks). Really bad experience.

Uninstall the 6850 using Hidden Device Manager after uninstalling drivers and such, put it back in, with full stock clocks. 30 min WC3 game, then black screen. (Rage as me and a friend were owning :p ). So I try out 8.97 instead of 12.8 drivers, checked, and ULPS was already disabled. Fallout NV gives White screen after 2 min of gameplay (on a downclocked (100mhz each), slightly more voltage). Temps were at 70-80 on 70% fan (ironically the same as when the fan was at auto 60% or so). Clocks not underclocking or bugging out during those 2 min.

So now I am completely stumped, I have tried everything I have researched, since the first crash had NO CPU/RAM OC. I cant buy a new card for a few weeks (even then only like a 7770 or hopefully a NVidia after the experience with AMD drivers for almost a year), and the 4650 is so slow and noisy that I cant bear it. .;- I can use the desktop, browse the net, all good. NO crashes. What has happened? Has the card died? (BTW, newest VBIOS, ironically the one it came with).

2. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Well, you answered your question with your post. It is your graphic card, and, you can RMA it, if warranty is not over.

You can try to downclock GPU MEM, and Core etc. but you did try it, so, i don't have anything to add that you didn't try.

3. FireFreak111

FireFreak111 Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 660 2GB
    Damn, only one year with this card. Well, thanks. Will check if I have a warranty on the card, but its very unlikely its still effective.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I think most brands had a 2 year on the 6xxx AMD cards unless it's like a powercolor or some other low end partner. Even XFX had a lifetime waranty on the 6xxx.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    did you try with gpu at default clocks/voltage? Powercolor cards don't overclock very well.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  6. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Actually it been quite a bit of a while when i last saw any PC part under 2-3 years warranty, so, i think you are not out of luck (if you can find papers lol, with ironically happened to me with TV :p).

7. DrDoU

DrDoU Guest

GPU:
    power color rx6800
    Sounds like a dying card.

8. FireFreak111

FireFreak111 Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 660 2GB
    I tried all clocks (under, over, stock, overvolt, all), and unfortunately I bought this at retail in a PC Repair/selling shop, still have to check if warranty is valid (might have lost the form or whatev). Right now I am putting up with the ultraloud fanned 4650 playing Wc3 for the next 8 weeks until I can get a 670.

And ironically its a Powercolor.