WRC3 no 2560x1440 ?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by andressergio, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G
    1. Don't expect complexity of RBR, you will be utterly disappointed. Game is best played with a pad, haven't even tried with wheel after driving a few tracks with gaypad.

2. For graphics whores (in which cathegory I kind of belong) - Unfortunately Dirt series kicks WRC 3's butt in terms of graphics and optimization. Sounds - mediocre. Controls - arcadey, with a slight touch of sim (I find them better than in Dirt though).

3. Prepare for black bars on 16:10 displays.
    You can change resolution in config (don't forget to set as read only). Instead of using unoptimized AA I suggest using downsampling. I tried 1920*1200 (native is 1680*1050) and it definitely smoothens the jaggies a little, but on my 4yrs old GK using not really excellent (now 6 months old "legacy") drivers with VSync on it produces some lags which are not present in my native reso. Not using Vsync ends up in frequent tearing (capping fps with afterburner doesn't help). If I had a newer graphics, I would for sure go the downsampling way.

2. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    just to reply :)

1. RBR is a masterpiece, but after years of playing it and modding i feel to move on. The game is aging bad imho, its no more fun, at least for me...maybe i needed a breath of fresh air. Disabling the aids and configuring the car based on what stages you're gonna do gives some sort of realism, and with wheel its a total blast. Yeah it might not be RBR, but a valid alternative. I waited Dirt 3 to be the best rally game ever but i was disappointed. I even liked WRC2 much better than it.

2. Dirt 3 gfx is amazing, but its far from kicking this game buts. Dirt 3 recycles the same assets over and over even in other stages; all the stages have 3 or 4 paths, mostly you will run them backwards, or at night. The bloom and color scheme is oversaturated and the cars dont have the level of detail WRC3 has. Dirt 3 sometimes is so exaggerated graphically with all those filters that makes my eyes bleed. Sounds could be much better, yes, i agree completely. And for the driving feel, you already said what i think. WRC3 is more simulative than dirt 3, no doubt.

3. Dunno on this, im still using my 32" LCD Led as my primary monitor, and its not 16:10. But i guess it pissess off someone.

Giving all the facts, imho this game is miles ahead Dirt 3. Just start the career or the rally championship and play thru the real WRC stages, youll be amazed by the variety of the tracks and graphics.

3. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    i only race sims and dont touch arcade. but this with all the aids disabled is freaking awesome. even the gfx are good. there are issues, 1. i dont seem to have an ingame cursor. 2. i cant change the ffb + other settings whilst in game theres no way to move to the next option. any fixes?

4. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Its fun to see how Eurogamer bashed this game, giving to it a 6/10 (console version) while the majority of the commenters kinda say the opposite. Seems that the community loves this title.

5. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Thing is I remember when RBR reviews first hit years ago and loads of them gave it 6 and 7's out of ten because it was too much of a sim.

Whilst this is in need of a patch or two and could do with some refinement to the sound etc. I think the core game is very good. FFB on my G27 and the handling is a vast improvement over the previous two. Far more rewarding than the likes of Dirt 3. Its got depth and so far really enjoying it.

6. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G
    I may have used a bit of overstatement in the butt kicking department (the fluidity of gameplay on my ancient videocard - 4870s are a bit infamous having various issues, lots of times drivers are to blame - gives a clue we are not dealing with a tech-demo graphical fidelity) and I agree with you on the track section recycling in Dirt3, but the same recycling is quite noticeable in WRC3 too if you play several consecutive tracks in the same country, though it seem not to be that obvious.

After all I will try to connect the wheel (if I'll be able to dig through all the accumulated dust :)) and try what this game has to offer in the ffb department. Hopefully it won't be as disappointing as Dirt3 was physics-wise.

Btw. InsecureGayNetwork gave this game a staggering 5/10. To express my opinion about the review I will use a quote from the verdict.
    "It’s a bland and perfunctory experience, one that won’t offend anyone but is incapable of delighting anyone either."
    Don't lose too much time reading the interview and skip to the comment section.:nerd: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/15/wrc-3-fia-world-rally-championship-review

7. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    where is the config file, ini or whatever? i cant seem to find it. i need to force my rez to 2048x1152. only 1920x1080 is available :3eyes:

8. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G
    Press WinKey+F, type wrc3 (or milestone) and here you go...

9. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    That doesnt help as he'll know where the install file/folder is.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Looks outdated, more like a 2008 game with weak lightning... And sorry but it can't come close to Dirt series, even Dirt1 looked better :p

The only thing that's good is it has a lot of tracks, something Dirt lacks since Colin McRae 5.

4xaa has a big perf. hit, 53-60fps gpu usage 90-100%, vs 2xaa with ~ 40-50% 60fps vsynced.

Screens at 2xaa, 1600x1200, 4xSS, forced 16xaf.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    its ok i found it. C: Users/App Data/Roaming/Milestone

12. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Cool, good to know. :)

13. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G
    Just wanted to add a fair warning - do not drive too fast because the pressure of on-coming air (or a very aggressive wasp) could break your windshield in this game...

Seriously now I wonder if there is a possibility to turn this feature off. Kind of annoying.

But I doubt it.. Guess I will have to try to drive carefully and safely, adapt a bit of a schoolbus driver mentality (not Otto from Simpsons:)).

The devs could probably add a new game mode "avoid aggressive massively-obese windshield-breaking flies". That would be something original - not that Dirt copy-catting with destroying polystyrene boards on the road etc. Because as we know from recent history - it is not far from polystyrene boards to silly stunts and finally to sh'tdown. :infinity: