Dishonored - New IP by Arkane Studios

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by The Michael, Jul 7, 2011.

1. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Game is relatively expensive compared to other new releases for steam keys, cheapest i could see was 36euro, while most of those keys normally go for less than 30euro.

I think ill wait.

2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    You know what. Yes ok you can compare this slightly to the likes of Bioshock, Half-Life 2 and even TF2 in some ways as all the chars have rather huge hands and the washed out low res water coloured textures look very similar but there's one other game that I'm constantly reminded of when playing. Clive Barkers Undying. I just can't get that game out of my head when playing this although I doubt some will see the connection there's something spookily familiar to that game present here. Magic and guns perhaps? Yes again Bioshock springs to mind but let's remember now Undying did the whole one handed weapon secondary hand dealing magic thing a good 6 years previous.

The whole "like playing around inside a painting" comments some reviews have made are pretty much spot on and I'm loving the way that if you think you may just be able to reach something to perch upon then more often than not you actually can which is something games have failed to do for a considerable amount of time IMO. A lone bit of wood sticking out of the water? Yes you can get on top of that if you so wish. Hey it's not much use mind unless it's rather high so you can look down upon patrolling enemies but just knowing you can get on top of it or on that high ledge that looks completely out of reach or climb that dangling chain from the bottom to the very top is all rather liberating in itself.

Again the art style on show doesn't instantly gel if you are so used to demanding high res texture packs for every new game as this takes a completely different approach entirely. But once you've been through a few scenes and witnessed the wonderful lighting techniques they've used those washed out walls and floors look fantastic because it just suits the game so much. The sound is also pretty amazing too. You'll see for yourself soon enough I guess.

3. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 X Trio
    My apologies if you're already familiar with this, but have you looked at symbolic directory links? I use them all the time for Steam games that I want to install on my SSD (my main Steam install path is on a slower HDD). Once you finish the install, just copy the game over to the drive/directory of your choice, delete the game folder that Steam originally installed to and create a symlink in the same area matching the original folder name that the Steam installer used. Steam is none the wiser; works perfectly I've never had a problem and have done this with half a dozen games. Just have to remember not to hard-delete the link, because you'd actually end up deleting the target directory :)

Just do a quick google for mklink, it's a standard Windows command (as of Windows Vista). No 3rd-party utilities required.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ Reciprocity - Yes, I'm aware of symbolic directory links and have used them in the past during the move from a 512 GB to a 1 TB and now a 2 TB hard drive, purely for my Steam library. However, there is no excuse for not having custom installs. Even EA's abysmal Origin software allows you to specific which partition/drive to install to.

5. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 X Trio
    I guessed as much that you already had but figured it was worth a mention. And I agree, it's a bit of a pain to have to do something like this.

On topic: this game really looks great; I'm finding myself becoming much more into style and presentation these days versus brute force awesome graphics without much inspiration. Will definitely be picking it up once it comes down in cost a little.

6. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nice to hear of someone with a sense of decency and self-restraint in these "I want it, and so I will have it" times.

7. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  8. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Darren, you don't get this when installing games now on Steam?

[​IMG]

It was available after some Steam update I don't remember. I'm using NBA 2K9 as an example. It should be available in any Non Installed game

9. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Thanks

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Looks tons better with anti-aliasing IMO (in contrast to the jaggy ones JonasBeckman posted yesterday). Are you forcing MSAA/SGSSAA or is that the in-game FXAA/MLAA?

@ MerolaC - No, I did not get a choice of installation path like that but then I haven't installed anything yet since Steam updated late last week. However, I thought that was a hidden setting from one of the betas... has it now been officially added to Steam then?

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Its available after the beta update, and you have to add -dev to the steam shortcut aswell.

lots of games are not supported though, and games installed on other drives are not recognized if you change os for instance.

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Is this game open world as assassin's creed or you do missions 1 by 1.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Mission after mission but they are something like little hubs so there's a lot of areas to explore and thus it can take a number of hours before you've fully completed one. :)

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Why am I getting a weird stutter whilst looking around? Its making the game unplayable for me. Even capping fps at 50 does not help and 30 just looks awful. Also how are you guys getting 150+ fps when I cant see anyway of disabling vsync... nothing works d3doverider or forcing off i drivers does not work... i thought this was an amd game seen as it uses MLAA...?

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    VSync was a in-game option, maybe you missed it?
    (Also far as I can tell they worked with both but I believe Nvidia are the ones promoting the game.)

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Hmmm strange... i will have another look for it as I must of completely missed it :p

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's with that sub menu where you also set screen resolution. :)

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Omg I found iit LOL my bad! It was like 2am when I installed it though so maybe that why I missed it. Thanks, game is running at like 170fps now and smooth as butter :) not much tearing which is nice too.

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Hmm. Thanx. So deusex style gaming.

20. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090