Anti-Downloading Law Hits Japan, Up To 2 Years in Prison

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 2, 2012.

1. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I know right, go me :D

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    BBC Shows here in the UK would probably be ok to download legally.

Everything else would probably not be legal unless you downloaded the full show with all the commercials.
    TV rips with the commercials removed won’t as whether we like it or not, that is how they pay for the show, and obviously Web-DL/DVD/BluRay rips won’t be legal either.

3. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    What if i record myself, then edit all the ads out? :p

4. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Nope, I consider jail barbaric because it destroys the family unit.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The 'problem' is this:

The 'original' file, as in, the file in the form that it is presented to be available via conventional means is what they are trying to protect.

Well, here's the thing. If you download something that is not digitally identical and has been altered, it can be convincingly argued that you cannot be held financially or judiciously accountable for something if it is not the exact same thing.

BUT!

If someone downloads an identical digital copy of an album (same meta data, encoding process, etc) as the one which is available digitally, then it cannot be argued.

Dotchageddit?

The content of the file MUST be identical, unless you are being accused of copying the original file, which infringes copyright.

Just 1 stray byte would throw it out of court.

'sorry, not the same file m'lord - next case'.

All of those torrents, magnets ét all are re-encoded copies of copies, with different meta data, and encoding processes.

DVD Ripping software does not duplicate, it emulates.

All these companies are doing is saying 'our product is exactly the same as this 96kb/s file in this persons computer that sounds like it was recorded underwater'.

Don't make me laugh too hard...:backfire:

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    So you're saying if you copy a book in it's entirely word for word, but change the font, you're not violating copyright? Or, if you copy an entire movie but merely change the resolution, you've not violated copyright? That isn't going to fly.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Loobyluggs, as per above that is pure nonsense and it would be laughed out of court if the defence tried to use that argument.

Even if they did entertain such a notion, they would play the file, and if the judge/jury couldn't tell the difference which is very very likely then it would be considered identical.

We have not long saw a court order Samsung to pay Apple damages for something that isn't even that similar, and you seem to believe that by making something worse quality then the original content holder has no say on what happens to his/her work.

In your "loopy" court, people who were selling fake clothes, electronics, even forging money would all walk free because if its not 100% identical, then its not the same thing.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  8. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    "Thou Shall Not Steal" .. apparently that was GOD's law, which is good.

unfortunately the so called Devil (figuratively speaking) has a way of introducing himself in just about anything, he sways certain governments, companies and organizations into making laws and rules that rarely benefit the people by wording it differently.. :devil:

the Riaa/Mpaa/Adservices/Microsoft/Ubisoft etc often steal property (including your identity) without permission by spying on innocent unsuspecting people or breaking into computers, but then they ask people not to steal because it's against the law, it's like the thief who says to another thief.. please don't steal.

besides, i'm sure the identity and privacy of a human being is far more valuable than any stupid video or mp3 ever downloaded.

and that's the only way i can also describe the Anti-Downloading law that japan is introducing, it's a disgrace, to protect property is very important, but to treat people like a bunch of criminals with such laws it's not, it's always the innocent who end up getting targeted and pay the price while the actual thieves get away with it.

sadly, humans are flawed, they can't stop themselves from going bad, it's a shortcut to fun, big profit and control.

even GOD turned evil, you ask for peace he gives you war, he just can't wait to wipe us off the earth :devil:

Genesis 6:6 - "And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth.."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  9. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    When will people wake up and know that anyone will pay money for the box and the actual cd/dvd/br !?!?! Heck I bought OBLIVION and it had no piracy blocks on it you could copy it easy. I pay for good games but I want the box and the cd/dvd/br to resale it if I wish or just to add to collection. Otherwise I can say hello to my friend called bittorrent and get it another way if they want to make me have some cloud bs download.

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I like how people are trying to use the dictionary definition of theft to "prove" that piracy/copyright infringement is somehow a different thing. In a technical sense, yes, it is different. But only in the sense that the immediate consequences are lessened, and instead felt over a longer period. But still, it's theft. You're getting something without paying for it. It's theft. Just stop with the definition garbage. You people aren't clever like you think. Not directing this at anyone specific, but you know who you are.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    piracy = greed

12. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    The biggest problem is when I was younger we had VHS and Audio cassette we where able to record songs playing on the radio and shows on the tv. So I got used to being able to get those for free. Then comes the age of computers where you can get everything for free and the unlimited exchange of idea's information music and video's and now what i got accustomed to growing up is no longer legal to so that is where a big part of the problem lies for the majority of us. I can understand where they are coming from if I work hard I would want paid. But they are truly robbed more by the producer's and production companies than 1 person downloading a song or video. The industry as a whole needs to rise up and get rid of those dinasours. Then they would make more and be able to lower the cost of media access.

13. Redawgc187

Redawgc187 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 X3
    Like the others have said Loobyluggs it would not fly in court and another reason that is so is because you legally are not allowed to alter the media in anyway without consent from the author.

14. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    So you're an advocate for corporal punishment.

Maybe you should hang out with the ayatollahs as they are pretty big on that stuff.

As to the others. Piracy is a king of stealing I guess, what no one is saying is how piracy laws are unenforceable without a radical shake up of the internet as we know it today. A shake up which would piss off most of the internet population and is therefore difficult to achieve.

So basically we have producers and governments spending billions of dollars in surveillance and resources just to catch 1 or 2 sad little pirates out of a sea of millions. Just doesn't make sense.

15. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    How about you take a stroll down in Detroit and see what happens when you raise a generation of kids with their fathers in jail.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    True, it’s very much the same here, and while I agree that jail terms are handed out too easily to some people, you can’t just give someone a slap then throw them back on the streets, it’s to easy.

If a father is willing to take the risk of getting put in prison and abandoning his family, then that is his choice, letting people off lightly because they have kids is giving people a free pass to do as they like, not to mention the fact that punishing single people more heavily is just plain wrong.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I'm saying that if you buy a peice of music or film from a shop and then distribute it over the internet, you are in trouble with the law. If you do what they are trying to stop in Japan (simply downloading copywritten material) then you need to be able to prove that what you have downloaded is identical IN EVERY FORM to the original.

Not attacking you here, okay? Just pointing the viability of these laws when you break it down.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    And if you are not the person altering the files? Then what?

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Piracy has been around since the beginning in video games,ive seen loads and loads of anti piracy devices from Advanced copy protection,Pictured wheels,coloured coded inlays,dongle protection,Cd keys,drm etc etc,all of them at the time claiming to stop piracy as its unique and unhackable/unbreakable.....all of them have failed miserably from 1980-2012,even cartridges can be copied onto DVD if you have the right devices like a Magicom etc.

The only form of copy protection i know that does work the best and cannot be cracked is online realtime streaming where the game connects to an official server wether playing in SP or MP to gain authentication otherwise it locks you out and you cant play the game,this works in Rise of flight and i think in diablo 3,im not sure about diablo 3 as i havent played it but i think its the same.

I must say however that the online athentication can be emulated for diablo 3 by using fake server emulation and a virtual lan to play with other players.

Just like in the 1980's there has always been away to get around it just like there is in 2012.

I remember reading an article from gaming magazine in the late 1980s which had a 10 page spread on piracy( i think the magazine was ACE off top of my head)talking about where it originally came from and who were the first cracking groups etc.

At the end of the 10 page spread it said in big bold letters that Piracy is here to stay so although it is theft and hurts sales and development its certainly here to stay,well i can say the same again for 2012 and 2022 piracy will still be here.

If you have anything to report contact Bob Hayes!!:roll:

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Lets stick with the facts...

buying a CD in a shop and then distributing it online = prison
    downloading an altered file which has no legal protection associated with it (because it is not the same file, because it's been altered, because it's been ripped etc) = unprovable legal case that no judge would wish to go near.

And as much as I avoid argument by analogy, people selling fake rolex's etc, are attempting to defraud and profit.

People downloading a file from the internet that is fundamentally different, and structually different, that are not seeking to profit or, gain any finances from it, will never ever go to prison (outside of Japan).

You might as well tell me that the millions of people that did not fill in their census forms will go to prison, or get fined, because the likihood and expense of having millions of people attend court and then get put in prison/fined would take so much time and cost the taxpayers so much money (plus lost tax revenue from those in prisons) that it would never happen.

y'getting it yet?

These laws are put in place to scare people, which is too damn easy, and certainly easier than solving the problem.

I'll give you another example of laws being created because they cannot solve a problem: speed limits.

You telling me that they cannot flick a switch in a car to stop its maximum speed limit from being greater than the national speed limit of whichever country the car is destined for?

FFS, in the UK to sell a car they gotta take the steering wheel and entire dashboard and redesign it - but they can't put an engine limiter in the car?

No - they'd rather have hundreds if not thousands of widows every year because some nutball wants to drive at 80 mph, when they know...they know the limit is 70 mph, godamn idiots.

back on topic - you know I'm right, stop letting your ego fight it.