Do I need a new CPU on Motherboard for Graphics card to work

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mettam, Oct 7, 2012.

1. mettam

mettam Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro FX1700
    Upgrading my "Nvidia Quadro FX 1700" to a "NVIDIA Quadro 2000 by PNY".
    I was about to instal it when I read that it requires a Intel Core i5, i7 or Xeon
    My current processor is a "Intel Core 2 Duo".

The "Intel Core 2 Duo" is older and therefore wont run this new graphics card right ?

Can I buy a new processor ("Intel Core i7") and plug it into my existing motherboard . Is it as easy as that ? Or will I need to by a whole new Mother Board. ?

The cost of my new graphics card (Quadro 2000) $400 and a i7 Motherboard $400 =$800
    Should I just buy a new PC or upgrade my existing PC ?

Thank you in advance ..

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You would have to buy a new motherboard as your current processor uses socket LGA775 while gen2 Core processors used LGA1156 or LGA1336 and gen3 Core processors use LGA1155 or LGA2011.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    try installing it anyway

4. mettam

mettam Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro FX1700
    Could I damage the Graphics Card if I instal it into my Core2 Duo ?

5. mettam

mettam Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro FX1700
    Could you suggest a Motherboard I could buy that is cheap and that would house this Graphics Card ?
    I am 3D Artist and would be using this machine to play around with at home doing tests and animations and renders.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Don't think so, you probably get bad performance. Does it say recommended?

7. mettam

mettam Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro FX1700
    It says "system requirements"

8. Pyro the Dragun

Pyro the Dragun Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M
    The graphics card will work just fine with your current setup. The card's performance will be limited to some extent by your older CPU, but nothing will be damaged.

9. mettam

mettam Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro FX1700
    Thankyou. That is encouraging, I think I will instal it and then wait for a bargain price on a i7 and motherboard.

What is the difference between the CoreDuo2 and i7?

10. mettam

mettam Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro FX1700
    What kind of limitations do you think I will experience if I plug my "Nvidia Quatro 2000" into the core2 Duo CPU ?

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    you will be cpu bottlenecked, it wont hurt your card, if you do this for a living I suggest a 3570 non k chip, cheap mb, and ram

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  12. mettam

mettam Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro FX1700
    Maya poly reduction tool uses Graphics CPU or Motherboards CPU ?

I put the Nvidia Quadro2000 into my old CPU/Motherboard (Intel Core2Duo)
    I have noticed a little more fluidity when moving around 2million poly objects.
    But, when I try to do poly reduction on the object in Maya (to reduce the polys) it slows down and crashes.

So my question is:
    The Maya poly reduction tool, Would that use the Graphics card cpu or the motherboards cpu ?

13. Pyro the Dragun

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M
    Your CPU will not be able to properly feed your GPU new information for the GPU to render. This is essentially what "CPU bottlenecking" is. You will have ceilings on your frame rate that no matter what resolution or fancy graphics option you enable/disable you simply will not break past.

14. Pyro the Dragun

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M
    Have you reinstalled/updated to the latest nVidia drivers?

I have zero 3D rendering experience, so I can't comment on your Maya crash.

15. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    The "Intel Core 2 Duo" is older and therefore wont run this new graphics card right ? it will run it as long as its the proper PCIE Port

Can I buy a new processor ("Intel Core i7") and plug it into my existing motherboard . Is it as easy as that ? Or will I need to by a whole new Mother Board. ? I7 no best u can get is a Quad Core 775 with ur current board probally

The cost of my new graphics card (Quadro 2000) $400 and a i7 Motherboard $400 =$800
    Should I just buy a new PC or upgrade my existing PC ?

Depends really what motherboard do you have then we can research it a little for u

16. mettam

mettam Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro FX1700
    This information I got from another site about how Maya uses the GPU and the CPU.

"Maya does very little with the graphics card, only viewport rendering, specialized image rendering, and specialized physics calculations. Everything else is done by the processor including the polygon reduction tool."

17. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    Could you do same operation with your old card ? or did you ramp up poly's with the new card to 'test run' ? :)
    Basically, try to do same operation with less Poly's, say 1 mill. and see if that goes through.

Either way, if I were you, I'd be happy with my new card and save up for new MB and CPU asap. your 2 core will do ofc, but with doing 3d work and/or editing video post processing more cores saves alot of time rendering/doing huge operations = more win.

haven't checked prices, but the i5 3570(K or non-K) or i7 2600k/3770 (hyperthreading).

I run AE/PS/LW10/Zbrush etc. on my system, i would love the Hyperthreading though. But if u can find a 2500k/MB even that would be a rather good upgrade for you and, maybe cheaper.

So, if you look to upgrade, you'll be looking at new/used: MB, CPU, RAM (16gb pref. for your kind of work) and lastly, if you get a K chip for OC (which helps in calculations) an aftermarket cooler for CPU.

edit:
    whichever 3d program you use, when you start doing calculations like poly reduction it will, as far as i know, always be the cpu that handles it, your gpu takes care of previews, on screen objects and, if application supports it, rendering via gpu (usually user defined, as some/most gpu's have more raw power than the cpu.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

With the RAM for the i5-3570 or i7-3770 etc, make sure you get at least DDR3-1600, and preferably for 16GB in 2x8GB modules. You also, and this is vitally important, have to run a 64-bit operating system such as Windows 7 x64 or Windows 8 x64. If you try and run a 32-bit OS you will cripple your system as you are limited to 4GB total memory (system RAM+GPU card RAM).

19. mettam

mettam Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Quadro FX1700
    Thank you for this information.
    Can you recommend a good site to buy this CPU and Motherboard combos and probably memory too. ?

Do you think this is something a novice can do (replace the motherboard) Are there jumper setting that need to be set or complicated driver installation to be done.? I can replace Graphics cards and add memory and Audio cards etc but I have never done a motherboard.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    buy the stuff online cheap and bring it to a pc shop if you do not feel comfortable doing it, where are you located?