GTX 690 constant crashes/freezes/lockups

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by azamjad, Oct 4, 2012.

1. azamjad

azamjad Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    Well, here I was happy having bought a new GTX 690 and everything was going well until I installed the GTX 690 and installed the official drivers from Nvidia's site. The GTX 690 has been crashing constantly ever since, sometimes even during the account selection screen. Most of the time it's impossible to do anything but a hard reboot which leads to another freeze/crash/lockup. I have uninstalled the drivers and am not having any issues, but ofcourse now I cannot take advantage of the drivers themselves. I have installed a number of other versions of drivers, some beta, and even the driver that came on the Support CD with the GPU after uninstalling the old drivers properly with Driver Cleaner and Driver Sweeper. None of these have alleviated the situation: the GPU keeps crashing and I have had a number of BSOD's.

Can anyone give me any advice on what may be wrong and what to try next? :( Could my OCed CPU be the problem? The card seems to run fine when I haven't installed any of the drivers: no lockups or freezes. But as soon as I install any driver, it dies and tries to take the world with it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    sounds like you may have a bad card.

3. azamjad

azamjad Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    Dangit! :( I was really hoping this might not be it. Oh well, better it came dead in the box than die after a few months I guess. Thanks.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    what did you have before the 690, can you test another card in your system?

5. azamjad

azamjad Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    The Radeon HD 5870 from my old system. I can test that tomorrow as it's not nearby atm.

What I find weird though is that this only happens when I install the drivers. I am a newbie when it comes to this, but if the card was bad out of the box, would the crashes and freezes not happen even without the drivers?

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    is your cpu oc 100% stable in p95 blend max memory?

7. azamjad

azamjad Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    Yep.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    did you uninstall the 5870 drivers before you took the card out? you might need a windows reinstall, thats just an educated guess not 100% sure. wait for some other responses before rma your card and reinstalling windows

9. azamjad

azamjad Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    I probably should have mentioned this is a completely new build, from scratch. That other card hasn't been near this build.

Thanks for the advice. I have e-mailed Scan to get their view on this as well. Let's see what happens. Off to bed for the night.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    try the 5870 in the rig and if it does the same thing maybe its a faulty psu

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sounds like the card to me also...

12. MasterVampire

MasterVampire Active Member

GPU:
    GTX TITAN !
    Try the card in another PC?

13. azamjad

azamjad Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    I have put the card in the 2nd pci-e 16 slot and it hasn't crashed yet. But the first pci-e slot can't be damaged as it was working fine without the drivers for the GPU.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's possible it just wasn't seated properly.

Put the card back in the first slot and see if it still crashes...make sure no dust etc is in the PCI slot...

15. azamjad

azamjad Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    Put it back in the first slot and it crashes again with drivers installed. ANyone know why it would crash only with the drivers installed in the first PCI-E slot?

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Bad PCI-e slot, it happens. Bad hardware can often seem OK without drivers installed and goes fubar once you install them.

You can see what speed it's running at with GPU-Z or AIDA64.....might be helpful.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  17. azamjad

azamjad Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    Put in the old Radeon HD 5870 in the first PCI-E slot, the one the GTX 690 was failing in, installed the Ati Display driver only and no crash, no freeze or lockup. No hiccups whatsoever. It's running smoothly.

I don't know what to think right now. The Radeon running perfectly in the same PCI-E slot means that the PCI-E slot is not bad?

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Dunno, that's a strange one alright.

Why don't you just leave the 690 in the second slot?

19. azamjad

azamjad Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    Well, I'd like to go SLI in the future and I don't want to go down that road if one of the GTX 690 is faulty or the PCI-E slot is. On top of that I am a bit OCD and it not working in the first PCI-E slot is really getting on my nerves :(

Thanks for your help though!

20. azamjad

azamjad Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    I'm sending the card back tomorrow with a full explanation of waht I have tried to Scan. Let's see what happens next. All of this is really strange.