Torchlight II

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by k1net1cs, Apr 26, 2012.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    balance is important because if you invest 100 into a char you don't want to find out that other classes mince through content a lot faster.

2. srps

srps Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GT OCV1
    Like in Diablo 3, where I leveled a Barb to Inferno and got my ass kicked repeatedly through Act 2, had to do countless butcher runs in order to hope to get something I could sell to buy something worth an upgrade in the AH (and I was running with a Monk friend, so double the chance to find upgrades), finally got to Act 3, got my ass kicked even further.

I started to level a Demon Hunter meanwhile for fun, and in like 1\4 of the hours played I got to Inferno, I actually beat Inferno with my DH with worse gear than I had in my Barb that was getting badly beaten in Act 3.

And when the first balance patch arrived wow, I got to kick ass further and stopped being 1-shot with my DH. Needless to say that my Barb was long benched by then, my DH did everything better and faster so I'd just play it until I got kickass gear for the Barb.

Diablo 3 had plenty of fun for me, but putting Diablo 3 and game balance in the same sentence is pure sacrilege, lol.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    first inferno hc Diablo kill was a barb btw. go figure. :)

4. srps

srps Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GT OCV1
    I know, but it's not a normal kill, it's a kill sponsored by hundreds or thousands of people, he had gear offered to him that you could only begin to dream of. Also pretty lucky with disconnects I reckon, I think he didn't ever play "alone". So many HC deaths I had due to Blizzard stupid server bugs and random disconnects...

And I only compared 2 classes, in my opinion the 2 best classes of that time. WD sucked plenty and Monks were pretty much shafted to use that "all with one" or whatever passive unless they were stupidly geared.

Really, game balance and Diablo do NOT belong in the same sentence, be it D1, D2 or D3.

Great games (especially 1 and 2, 3 was kinda unfinished and buggy with the stupid "always online" crap), but you have to take them for what they are.

5. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    It doesn't affect me at all though, all that matters is I enjoy my hero. I couldn't care less what other classes are capable of as it has no impact on my enjoyment of the game.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, but what if you can't beat content that other classes are flying through? Not that this is the case in tl2, the game is easy. but yeah, comes into play online. online in tl2 sucks though so maybe you're right, balance might not matter. i like to play games online though. unfortunately i won't do that in tl2.

7. srps

srps Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GT OCV1
    But is there any class flying through content especially easily in TL2? I didn't play much due to lack of time, got a lvl 28 or so berserker in Elite (diablo 3 only started at Inferno, at least TL2 has inferno from the get go :p) and I can say I die easily if I'm not careful. I don't play with a shield as I prefer a more aggressive play style, I reckon it'd probably be faster if I tried to go more tanky, but also more boring.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    They do have that difficulty setting but there's the also New Game+ mode in where it scales the difficulty at the start of the new game to the character level you had when you ended the previous game, does make things quite a bit more difficult but the item rewards are greatly improved.
    (Max level is 100 but apparently it can scale beyond even that should you manage to finish the New Game+ mode at level 100.)

Played through the game twice so far, really like the randomization although of course the core quests are the same, found some pretty decent items so far, even a few little secrets and easter eggs although there's also a lot of references in the item descriptions.

Will be continuing after some further patches have been released, will also be interesting to see what they'll add to the game, sounds like they had some plans but I've not read up on it in any more detail.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you can't compare TL2 elite with D3 inferno. D3 inferno is a LOT harder.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  10. srps

srps Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GT OCV1
    Seriously? Like I said, I breezed through it with crappy gear with my DH before the balance (read: nerf to act 2,3,4) patch (ok, save for Diablo, the stupid clones were almost impossible to dodge and I didn't have enough DPS to finish them up during a stun). After that patch it was even easier.

Not that I didn't die, and I still had to pay attention, but really never had much of a problem.

I might try the Outlander in TL2, I find I always do better with agile, dodgy and svelte kind on characters more than other kinds, although I like the berserker's brute-force.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    that doesn't mean that it isn't harder than tl2. stand still in tl2 for 5 seconds against normal mobs, nothing much happens. in D3 you're dead in half that time. You don't even need half decent gear to beat elite in tl2 and even then it's just easy.

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Dunno, some normal mobs in NG+ (the dungeon before Artificer) can cut through my lvl 66 engineer easily if I really do nothing, and there's one which attack cuts 1/4 of my 4.3k-ish HP in a single hit, and I was using 7 of 9 Highridge set; my total armor was 1075.
    Not to mention that it usually comes with some other mob packs.
    And no, I don't use shield since I actually dual-wield with two axes (found some awesome axes; can't let berserkers have all the fun), but I did have lvl 12 Bulwark & Aegis of Fate.

That's on Normal, by the way.

In any case, why does the topic change from balance to difficulty when srps pointed out D3's balance isn't really that balanced either?
    Personally, I'd like to hear more about how D3 is more balanced than TL2 in terms of class skills.
    Talking about how difficult a game is doesn't really speak much about its balance whatsoever.

13. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Game is incredibly fun and terrific value for the money. :) Tell me why again we pay for inferior 60$ games with additional fees on auctions?

I will have to stop buying everything and vote with my money a bit more so that these big studios wake the **** up.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you don't have to use the AH if you hate the fees. TL2 doesn't even have an AH so at least in D3 you have an option. Use it if you like it, don't use it if it's against your beliefs.

well yeah, if you think TL2 is better, you made a mistake buying D3. About the fees, it's normal practise. some people made $1000s out of playing D3. Again, maybe you should do more research before you buy in the future. I bought D3 off battle.net, was an expensive game. but I got over 300 hours out of it and will play more.

TL2 was a cheap arse game, and after playing the original game I wasn't expecting much. TL2 is a lot better than the original. but it's no D3. But for a cheap game it's worth the money. It costs as much as indie games so yeah, good value.

I suggest you do what you said. Do some research into what you're buying in the future. Don't buy games you don't like.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both games have different audiences, what's the point of dragging the old torchlight vs diablo argument??

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Guess it's impossible not to compare the 2. it's like every mmo gets compared to WoW. it's only normal.

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Also quite tired.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Not really. of course people compare all the new MMOs to WoW and all the ARPGs to Diablo. Why not? thing is most of the new games in the MMO and ARPG genre fail to beat the Blizz counterparts. They're still considered benchmarks of their genres. Unfortunately.

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    People do, but you don't have to :p It's pointless .. if others want to compare GW2 to WoW, let them waste their time. CoD and BF have different audiences too but their fans keep wasting their time fighting each other instead of enjoying their favourite games .. totally pointless. I don't like D3 but you've never seen me in the D3 thread(s) since launch have you? TL2 is much more relaxed and you're supposed to have fun, people love those OP spells. TL2 players don't want the AH and all the consequent baggage it comes with. Just like GTA, I hate that game but people love fooling around in it. It's all subjective, not point in getting worked up over it.

20. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Torchlight2 got massive comparing to torchlight. And its not old good "diablo1" style anymore.

Combat is yet satisfying and expandable. Didn't play diablo3, but I guess I'll be fine for a while with t2.

Looking forward for Torchlight 2 mods and community expansions.

@eclap:
    does diablo3 got any mods or anything that community can do to expand it?