Is there any way to test a SSD for faults?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by miffywiffy, Sep 29, 2012.

1. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    My last one went crap so I threw it at the wall and bought a new one but it's dead slow, it just sits on the Windows logo for like 20 seconds before entering. I've tried it on a few systems but it does the same thing, it's like slower than my raid HDD system. The handler is set to raid because I have two drivers that are Raid 0 together but I cannot put it on it's own separate handler.

It's also only getting 140write and 155 read.......... my other SSD that's like 2 generations behind is getting 150 write and 398 read.

Surely it's another fault PoS?

2. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Gonna have to get another one lol, it's hanging on shutting down now

3. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    What SSDs? Are they new? Was it like this when you bought them?

4. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Agility 3's

Benchmarking so poor.

Takes so long to boot up and it always sits on shutting down for so long. Earlier it kept crashing on youtube videos and the start bar kept vanishing. It's a 50/50 chance it doesn't even make it in or out of windows so now I've got .dll files missing for various things. Tried reinstalling windows again but same problems and if I just use it as a secondary drive to install games, when I'm downloading games and lots of data is going through it, the drive shuts off and vanishes....

Two in a frigging row now but the corsair ones are working fine. Just gonna refund this one, though I'd get the same one again to give them another chance. I'll just get a Corsair again..

5. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    How shocking...

For future reference, if you want quality and reliability, go with enterprise level manufacturers like Micron, Samsung, Plextor, Intel rather than enthusiast-oriented small companies.

Couple of suggestions would be:
    1) update to latest FW, if it's not updated yet.
    2) disable RAID0 so SSDs can use TRIM.
    3) if you have Rampage III like listed in your sig and these SSDs are connected to SATA2 ports, try them on SATA3. And vice versa. If they are connected to Marvell ports, they might be having compatibility issues.

6. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Guest

GPU:
    MIS / 680 / 2GB SLI
    Incidentally we have had 2 OCZ Vertex 2's fail out of the 2 we bought, all within warranty period. They sent Agility 3's as replacements and one of those has already failed and been replaced with yet another Agility 3.

On the other hand an Intel X25-M 80GB has been in 6 different machines and had more than 20% of its writes used and its never skipped a beat, it had just a single bios update to improve performance in its entire life time. My crucial M4 is equally chugging along without fault as is the Samsung 830.

The stats don't lie, OCZ's SSD's are less reliable than the average hard drive, other manufacturers SSDs are looking to be quite a bit more reliable.

7. TERRABYTEONE

TERRABYTEONE Guest

GPU:
    32g
    do a secure erase = chkdsk... then fill it up (use terracopy + verfy on)

partmagic boot cd will secure erase it

test using hdpro

8. lil chris

lil chris Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 7950PCS+
    ssd faults

Would you beleive my OCZ Vertex 2 packed in last Friday,they want to send me a Agilty 3 which they say is faster but after readin g this post I dont want one. What chance do you think I have of getting something better,I have request at least a vertex 3 or my money back.