Sapphire HD 7870 OC crash with black screen and sound loop

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Zahlokhnir, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
  2. Pashka_ch1981

Pashka_ch1981 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti
    Do you have the same problem with other games? Maybe it's just issue of BF3?

3. Pashka_ch1981

Pashka_ch1981 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti
    Honestly I didn't try BF3 with 7870, but playing some other games had no black screens....

4. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    ALAN WAKE is fine.
    Dragon NEST is fine.
    DotA 2 is fine.
    BF3 Campaign is fine.

I only experience this with BF3 Multiplayer.

besides BF3 Multiplayer this issue is also known to occur with SKYRIM, Max Payne 3, Shogun 2, World of Warcraft.

5. perrovaca

perrovaca Guest

GPU:
    HD 7850
    Hi all!!!

I have been reading around here but never post before.

I have experienced this problem with this games:

-BF3 multiplayer
    -Arma II DayZ mod (multiplayer)
    -F1 2011
    -F1 2012
    -TDU II

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  6. Genesis

Genesis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    I don't think they're fine, maybe you got lucky. I had this problem in alan wake aswell. My guess is you possibly play bf3 a lot more?

7. terryble

terryble Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670
    CCC 12.9 Beta released with new CAP~~

anyone tried it?
    does it works well and resolved the problems?

8. Pashka_ch1981

Pashka_ch1981 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti
    Max Payne 3 and Alan Wake goes fine on my pc. I think the problem is software. Maybe next Catalyst versions will fix that.

9. Dotalizer

Dotalizer Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 2048MB
    Same problem without sound (didn t heard it in my configuration)
    Happens on DotA2 / Deus Ex : HR as far as i noticed
    using Catalyst 12.8 and lastest drivers
    ;s

10. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    perhaps...my Steam indicates that I've played ALAN WAKE for 17 Hours. (the Writer & Signal included)

while my Origin indicates 85 hours of playtime on BF3

there's one thing wierd about Alan Wake though...there was this part that I cannot see the characters at all. (not sure if this was just a BUG or because of the GPU)
    *SPOILER* for those who haven't played ALAN WAKE yet
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3uVbyQJBX0
    only knew that it wasn't supposed to be like that because of this vid I saw...

11. Zahlokhnir

Zahlokhnir Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 OC
    I got a new motherboard now because my old one burnt out somewhere along the way due to processor overheats. With the new motherboard (Asus Sabertooth 990FX) I still experience this dreadful crash but the only difference is the sound is now all over the place where before it used to be one sound on constant loop. Now its just goes higher and lower pitch and what not. My last motherboard was also an Asus (M4A89TD PRO/USB 3.)

As some mentioned on this and other threads this could be a brand conflict or something similar between motherboards and the card itself. I am not about to swap out this motherboard at this point so if anyone has found a way to fix this please link it or post step by step.

It's pretty ridiculous that from 12.3 to 12.9, AMD still hasn't resolved this issue.

12. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    I was just thinking that perhaps it's only an intel proc + AMD gpu problem...
    then I saw your build... back to having headaches

perhaps it due to bad batches of cards...but there's no way to tell from which batch our cards are...can't seem to find it on the net...

13. Zahlokhnir

Zahlokhnir Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 OC
    I would never have thought three months down the start of this thread, this problem would still persist. Now I am thinking about going back to my 5770 since constantly crashing on online games such as League of legends as earned my several bans. All thanks to AMD superior coding.

I don't even know if I should bother trying to send it to Sapphire as a faulty product or wait for CCC 13.0 or whichever version is next. At this rate, I am doubtful AMD is capable of actually resolving this issue.

If anyone has found a workaround for this ridiculous issue, please do share, I am really annoyed at this point.

14. rievhardt

rievhardt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    there are 7870 users in ove****ck.net that claims that turning of the onboard sound in BIOS and putting in a dedicated soundcard fixed the issue for them.

I said that I've talked to others who did the same thing but the problem still exist...

and they told me that perhaps the others who just used a dedicated soundcard/usb headset didn't turn off the onboard sound in BIOS that's why it didn't work for them.

can anyone confirm? my card isn't around yet so I cannot confirm myself.

15. TeGarchoFF

TeGarchoFF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Turbo
    Well, misery loves company, or so they say, I'm here to join the club then :p

Hello btw. First time I post here, but I've been reading this forum for a long time. Now, down to business:

Probably nothing new, but this crash problem seems related to constant throttling being made by the gpu. While playing the gpu clock seems to shift constantly between [your reported 3d clocks] to 450 and/or 300 mhz. That problem isn't present in catalyst 12.3 and 12.4, but they crash anyway. Funny thing is, in newer catalyst the gpu clock has that throttling problem, but they *seem* to be more stable (appears to take longer before hard-locking).

Forget about builds, the hardware combo does not seem to matter here. Neither does the psu. It's something else. 6 month and it hasn't been resolved yet? C'mon. It's not a single user issue. It's massive. It's present in HD79xx cards, HD78xx (though it seems to be more frecuent in the 7870). It's not a Sapphire, I've seen people with Asus, Xfx and MSI with same problem. Sapphire seems to be the most affected though. That could mean something, either they sold many more HD7870 than the competition by far, or they had a larger defective batch.

Whatever it is, it has me a bit worried. I mean, six month? Nothing yet? An official workaround? Dude, not a word from them. I want to believe it can be fixed in future drivers, but this has me wondering. Two things come to my mind:

- A bios flash. AMD has to play their hand VERY carefully with this one. Not every user feels confortable flashing their cards. They could develop a tool I suppose that can make the process risk-free.

- A defective card. Again, a bios flash comes to me, downclocking the card. This could be very damaging to AMD rep. What about the people who bought the card? Should we ask some bucks back? Come on, give me all my money back, this is not what I paid for! Without a second thought I'd go for an nVidia offer.

I surely hope it's a driver issue. But...

Ok, now I'll tell you what I'm trying. Downloaded Asus GPUTweak and disable 2D clocks. Been able to play 3 hours of Black Mesa Source without crashing (crossed fingers). I'm on catalyst 12.4 btw, had 12.9 previously but went back to see if they solve the problem.

Will keep you updated. Sorry for my english, I'm from Uruguay, a tiny country in South America! And best of luck to you all.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

16. Richard II

Richard II Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7870 2GB
    I just recently bought the parts for a new computer and put it together myself, first time I'd done that. Worked fine for about a week and then these random black screens kept happening while playing WoW.

I was kinda happy to find this thread at first, I mean someone must have found something that worked to fix it right? Yeah, not so much. I tried both 12.8 and the beta 12.9 drivers, underclocking, making sure firefox wasn't running in the background, making sure the power settings were on, and a few other things recommended in this thread.

It's really disappointing that this hasn't been fixed in the months it's been going on, and that I'm now back to my old reliable 4870 while I wait for the store to try and replicate the issues and maybe get a new card, but given what I've read in this thread I'm not terribly encouraged that a different card will be any more stable.

17. Hekran

Hekran Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 Ghz Edition
    Complete the feedback AMD form

Hi,

I think it is important to complete the FORM that AMD has knowledge of the error.

This... and future forms...

18. kasiop

kasiop Member

Could anyone with minor problems with this card post a bios? (save it with GPU-Z)
    please???

19. NewNickPL

NewNickPL Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 2GB
    015.017.000.000.000000 (113-217xthye-s01)

20. kasiop

kasiop Member

Mine is different!! 113-217XTHE-O02

Can you please click the icon next to that number in GPU-Z and save it, and host it for me somewhere please??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.