Help please with GTX 680 SLI...!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Zaca, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Zaca

Zaca Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC - SLI
    Hi all.
    I have a problem and want to ask if someone can help me.
    I have two EVGA GTX 680 SC in SLI and when I was made the test´s in heaven I could get 95 FPS, but one of them broke.
    Now I have another one and having placed in the same place where it was broke.
    I uninstalled the drivers with Unistal factory and then went into safe mode with driver sweeper swept for proper uninstall.
    New tests made in heaven, I saw that I lost half of the performance, I can only get 56 FPS.
    In Battlefield 3 could normally have between 120 and 160 fps and can now only be 30 to 60 fps.
    Had installed the 306.23 driver, since I stuck my previous driver 306.02 and still the same.
    If they need to know my specs are in my project Obsidian - ROG Rig Mod.
    Someone can help me?

Best Regards.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    So what exactly is not clear to you here, your performance has gone down by 50% because you are running one GPU less... there is nothing to discuss here, or to be helped with, at least I understood the topic like this.

I also guess you played BF3 on Ultra with everything maxed out, try turning MSAA to off in graphic options, that will increase your FPS by a mile, then come back and re post your FPS.

EDIT: I re-read the post and noticed you mentioned you got another card again, and replaced the broken one.

My advice is to re-check all the ussual stuff such as the card is seated well, are all the power cables in they'r place. Then re-check the options for SLI and see if everything is set as it where the first time you ran the SLI config with previous card!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I just install drivers over the top of previous drivers, never had a problem. are you using the same settings in heaven and bf 3. which driver were you using when you were getting high fps? have you enable sli in the nvcp after driver install? have you reinstalled the sli bridge?

4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Sounds like your running only 1 card...Is sli working?...

5. Zaca

Zaca Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC - SLI
    It's all the same as the first time I ran the SLI.
    Just took the first PCI-e slot and replace the defective gpu for new, uninstalled the drivers and then went back to the same mess that had taken 95 fps.
    The SLI is enabled at 100% in nvcp.
    The driver I have now is 306.23 and can only get 54 fps in heaven.
    I also tested the EVGA precision X and also took much less performance
    The driver that is installed is the same as I could get 95 fps.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    sli bridge? if you run heaven it shoud be 98-99% gpu usage on both cards. in heaven are your clocks in full 3d mode?

7. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Check that SLI bridge as TK is saying I smell something fishy here :D

8. Zaca

Zaca Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC - SLI
    I also remembered that I could be the bridge that was not good and also has a new one but the result is the same

9. malVizio

malVizio Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX680
    have you tested both cards alone?
    you properly connected the power to the cards?

10. JmanEspresso

JmanEspresso Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX980 FTW
    I dont run 680s, I run two 580s. So it may not be similar at all to my situation, but might as well tell you so you can investigate it anyway. I also run Nvidia Surround, so that might make my problems unique.

Short and Sweet-

First, see if SLI works right after driver install. Pull up the OSD from Precision X and see if the GPU's are both being used around 99% each. Sometimes in BF3 I see them fluctuate from like 80-100%, thats fine. What you don't want is both GPU's around 45-50%, that means sli isn't working.

IF SLI does work right away, but then stops working sometime after, Ive read a number of people online having that very same issue. As for an actual fix, idk.

BUT, you can try disabling SLI, and then turning it right back on. Ive read that has worked for some. And if you're on a single screen, its not much a hassle at all to do that.(even though you shouldn't have too)

Ive got a couple other issues myself, I wont bother describing them all, but what it ends up being is I can only run the driver 296.10 without any issue. So maybe give that driver a try if you can't get it figured out with a more up to date driver. Probably not the most optimized driver for the 600 series, but might be worth a try just to see?

Hope it works out for ya man. I left the red team because of crossfire bull**** and driver issues, and for a while, my Nvidia SLI with Surround worked flawlessly. And it still does, but not with the latest drivers, and I hate that. Nvidia is supposed to be the team that doesn't have driver issues. Best of luck to you man, keep us updated.

11. Zaca

Zaca Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC - SLI
    Hi everyone.
    I did as advised and tested both individually in both card's PCI-E 16x and both are good.
    One thing I noticed is that in games the GPU's only reach between 20 to 40% utilization while before reached 95 - 98%
    I make another test in EVGA OC and both card´s reach in load between 85-97% GPU usage.
    Can anyone give me a hint?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  12. Zaca

Zaca Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC - SLI
    Does any angel can help this pour sould....!!! :angel::angel::angel:

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    set the heaven profile in nvcp to maximum performance and note the gpu usage and fps

14. Zaca

Zaca Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC - SLI
    Hi TK and thank´s for the reply.
    I did what you explain me but the result was the same.
    So I was radical, cleaned the whole watercooling circuit and I was 95% sure I do not have any hardware problem and explain why.
    I tested both individually card´s in both motherboard slot's PCI-E 16X and did tests on both in heaven and could reach 99% GPU usage.
    When I enabled SLI and did the test again in heaven just have few peaks of 95%, stabilized between 40% - 58%.
    I have also tried 3 different SLI bridges and the result is always the same.
    I've tested it with 301.42 drivers and 306.02 with no luck.
    Someone who can help me because right now I'm in trouble and I can not think anything else to test. :cry: :cry: :cry:

15. Zaca

Zaca Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC - SLI
    Any one help???

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    try other drivers?

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Try another Pci-e slot. If the first card borked, it could of messed up the slot it was in.

18. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Guest

GPU:
    MIS / 680 / 2GB SLI
    Vsync limits could cause such low usage in Heaven. Before you likely had triple buffering forced but now its not. Sure that vsync is off in Heaven right now?