New gaming mouse and mouse pad!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sneakers, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Right lads my old trusty Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 is on its way out and I am looking for a replacement mouse.

I used this type of mouse for 10-12 years maybe more so I really like the feel of it and the shape/ergonomi of it.

What I do want in a new mouse is more buttons then 3 ( long as they are placed in good spots and not too small and fiddly ), I want a dpi switch button and software controllable extra buttons.

I see that there is a jungle out there when it comes to mice, but I hoped some of you could recommend one or a few that would be simular in feel and the shape as the Explorer 3.0 mouse.

If you got any tips on mouse pads, that is welcome aswell since I need a new one that works well with the new mouse.

/edit

I found this site http://www.whichgamingmouse.com wich I'm currently browsing to get some ideas.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    I recently bought a Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700.
    I usually steer away from wireless mouse for gaming, but since it also works via usb cable if needed, then I felt I had nothing to lose.
    I'm pretty happy with it, fits my hand nicely, buttons are easy to hit but at the same time I don't seem to accidentally hit them either.
    You can store custom button configurations on the mouse, so no need to have bloated drivers loading every time windows starts just to use the extra buttons.

I haven't bothered with a mouse pad as of yet as the mouse seems to work pretty well on any surfaces I've tried, that includes laying in bed and using the mouse on crumpled sheets...lol

3. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    I will check it out, found some reviews about it that I'm reading.

4. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    I never read any reviews or did any study on it..lol
    I just saw it and I needed a replacement for my old MX 700 mouse (which lasted me 7 years), G700 sorta had the same shape and a few extra programmable buttons and I just thought what the heck.

5. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Yah, well I have to do something before I order :)

Looking at the shape of the G700 I don't think it will fit my hand very well.

I'm used to the oval shape of the MS explorer 3.0.

Closest thing to that I found so far is the razor deathadder model, but by reading reviews its buttons seem to break easily and the overall build quality seem questionable.

6. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Right, looking at the Logitech G9X and the RAT9-7 series from cyborg.

The rat7 mmo edition and rat7 gaming edition are the ones that look tick alot of boxes so far :)

Don't trust the wireless on the rat9 to be honest.

7. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    When I got my MX 700 I had prior been using a MS Intellimouse,
    I must admit initially I thought the same as you about my old MX 700, but 20mins into gaming I started to wonder how I ever used that old MS Intellimouse for so long.
    I found I didn't need to bend my fingers to use my mouse.
    With the MS mouse I was always clawing the mouse.
    With the MX700 my hand just relaxed across the top of it and under heavy battle for hours and hours on end I was no longer getting finger and hand cramps like I use to get with the MS mouse.
    I'm finding the same thing with my G700, my hand and fingers just seem to relax while I'm using the mouse and don't claw or arch my fingers awkwardly to press buttons.

8. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    I am a clawer though, I don't like the relaxed "palming" of a mouse :)

I'm leaning towards this mouse at the moment: http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/mmo.htm also thinking about this one, fewer buttons but more clean http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm.

Hard to decide, but somehow I think more buttons ( since they are actually placed well and usable ) could be better.

This mouse is to be used for planetside 2 where it could be nice to have alot of diffrent actions bound to accesible mouse buttons.

Yah think I will order this bad boy :)

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  10. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    I use the Razer Vespula as my mouse mat as I like the fact it has two sides to it (speed or control) and a built it wrist rest which means longer hours with less discomfort :)

11. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    You may want to check out the Logitech G400, which is the replacement for the famed MX518. It has the features you're looking for, is affordable and has reviewed very well. I haven't used that one personally, but I used the 518 for years and it was outstanding. If that is its successor, it must be good! I've always preferred a high end optical mouse vs laser. For a mousepad I would consider the Mionix Propus 380. Its nice and big with great traction - a perfect balance between control and speed I think.

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Logitech500 or Corsair m60 (both are pretty good in my experience).

Highly recommend those if you into fps gaming.

13. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Thanks alot for the suggestions guys, appriciate it!

Settled on the saitek cyborg rat 7 mmo mouse wich seems to be good for regular fps games and excellent for a mmo fps like planetside 2.

Has all the buttons and ergonomics I wanted and a quality build and customization.

Abit on the expensive side, but when I think about it I have had this intellimouse 3.0 for more then 10 years, crazy huh :)

14. GreenSmoke

GreenSmoke Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 660 OC FrzIII
    I know i'm a bit late on the topic, i'll leave it here for consideration on your next purchase in the future.

Quite fond of my Razer Lachesis mouse and Razer Vespula mousepad combo.
    If you ever used a fUNC pad (they pretty much went out of business IIRC), and loved it. Razer Vespula is the perfect alternative.
    Had mine for a few years now, and constant use with sweaty acidic hands, there are barely any signs of wear/tear on the pad, I didn't care much for the wrist cushion that came with it, but that too has held up well over the years.

15. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I really like the new Logitech G600 MMO mouse, I plan on getting one soon. As for mouse pad I am still using my X Trac XXL ripper its huge but works well for me.

16. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Yah I remember the func pads, used one back in my cs days pre all the source spectacle ;)..

At the mo I use a mousepad in glass but not sure how that will work with the rat have to test before I start gunning for a pad aswell. Will deffo check out the pad you suggested if it indeed is as simular to the funcs as you say :)

17. malVizio

malVizio Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX680
    lololol i had a func too!! Orange/Blue! was awesome!! with my first Razer Boomslang 2100!
    good mouse...for about 1 month lol!!!
    About choosing a mouse today...it depends actuaklly with the grip you prefer...
    If you got Palm grim i suggest those mouse:

Logitech G500 (best over all other G)
    Razer DeathAdder
    CM Sentinell Adv II

If you got claw grip:
    Corsair M60 (the one i've got)
    CM Spawn

18. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    As far as I know G400 is the best G-series mouse from Logitech because it's the most accurate one, also cheaper than G500 and shape is a matter of personal preference.

EDIT: So that no one gets confused, not talking about dpi, talking about sensor accuracy how it handles acceleration and if there is prediction or not.
    http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=2024663

Got link from Mouse Guide.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  19. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    I've used quite a few mice in the last few year.
    I've used cyborg R.A.T. 5. And my opinion about it is not that good. First thing i didn't like is the shape of it, but the adjustable (version 7 and 9) might be better with that. But i personally don't like that mouse, though i still have it picking dust on my shelf.

Then Logitech G9x (my personal favourite until i got my newest one). Very good mouse with changeable grips. Though after like a year i didn't like the exchangeable tops getting a bit loose, though it is quite easy to fix. All it all a very good gaming/daily usage mouse.

And last one, Corsair Vengeance M60 (i got a Corsair K90 keyboard aswell) . Loved it from my first minute of usage. Very good shape, sits in your hand perfectly. Adjustable weights (same as Cyborg R.A.T and G9x, and to be honest quite a few newer mice), sniper button (though i don't really use it), DPI adjustment buttons, solid metal frame. All in all that's the mouse i would personally recommend. My mate has got a M90 and he likes that one aswell, has way more side buttons for MMO addicts :)
    I also heard that steelseries sensei mouse is quite good, though i haven't tried it, so cannot comment on it.
    Best suggestion would be: go to the shop and try em, see how they feel in your hand. Then check the specs and make the decision.

20. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    So the Corsair M60 is good for claw grip? I was strongly considering that mouse, but it was a bit more than I wanted to spend at the time. I spotted the CM Storm Spawn, decided to get that and have loved it for claw grip; I could second that recommendation! My only complaint on my Spawn, is although it has adjustable DPI, its only three settings and you can't go in between them. Fortunately new consumer drivers allow for 1500DPI in the middle setting instead of 1600, which is a slight improvement.